Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. sell (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 9 of 25)

Oct 172008

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L

I have found through research of how to fix my dashboard which is now severely cracked that it's caving in, that Dodge has known about this problem for years and is not fixing. This is a safety issue as there are now sharp pieces of plastic dash that could hurt myself or passenger in an accident or other circumstances. I was trying to find how to fix my dash but now see Dodge is at least repairing some dashes or paying half towards replacing the dash. I should not have to pay to fix this problem if Dodge is now starting to fix or at least address the issue. I currently have my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500, a 2004 Chrysler Town and Country and a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan and have bought at least two dozen Chrysler products and feel I have been a staunch supporter of Chrysler, even through the hard times they have had. I feel this type of loyalty I have show should be rewarded with acknowledgement ond repair of my dash. I am buying a new car next year and have started looking at other makes due to some of the quality problems I am encountering on all 3 of my current Chryslers but the dashboard makes me the most upset because it has been known and not fixed for loyal customers like me or even new customers so that they will return and buy other Chrysler products in the future.

- , Suffolk, VA, USA

Apr 192009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

Ill Never BUY A DODGE AGAIN MY DASH IS CRACKED EVERYWHERE and dodge wants me to pay 700 dollars and they will pick up the rest for them to fix it. Why the hell should I pay to fix their cheap dash? I didn't manufacture it ! I just purchased the dodge am from guess who? DODGE and they want me to help them pay? WTF ? MAYBE they wouldn't have needed a bailout from the government if they build a solid vehicle free of cheap dash's and they would have returning customers and they would have enough money they wouldn't need a bailout .. shame on you Stinky DODGE take a look at how many people you screwed with your cheapness . I for one will buy a FORD next time. I'll take my 50K some where else. Later fools

- , ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Jul 222011

Ram 1500

I'm with the other guys with the same problem. How many complaints does it take to get something done. The whole upper part of my dash ( the one closest to the windshield) has cracks, parts missing some fell into the defroster duct work. Dodge or the other company needs to recall it an fix it right. Its not up to the consumer to fix problems caused by Dodge etc.

- , Corbin, KY, USA

Dec 012010

Ram 1500 4.7L

another cracked dash in 2002 dodge ram 1500. dodge should repair or replace dash .i would not buy another dodge. ford will last a lot longer.

- , Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Nov 032009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

My 2002 Ram 1500 is in great condition except for one major problem! The dash is cracked in several places, I mean several! They are not even considered cracks in my opinion. It is broken in half in at least 2 places. The rest of my interior is in mint condition as I give great care to my vehicles maintenance. I feel that Dodge should bear the burden of the replacement cost involved in the repairs of my truck. I have a 2001 Mitsubishi Montero and a 2002 Crysler Town & Country, both with several thousand more miles than my Dodge truck and neither of them show any signs of dash breakdowns.

If this problem is specific to a certain year (2002) than it is proof that Dodge used inferior materials in the building of their vehicles for that year.

- , Cape Carteret, NC, USA

Mar 072009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I am a proud owner of 2002 DODGE RAM 1500 4X4. It is super clean in the outside, I take care of it very well. However, when it comes to the interior the dash board is falling apart, there are cracks every where. I feel that Dodge Manufacture SUCK!!! When it comes to dash boards this people do not have pride.

When I first notice cracks I took it in to Dodge service department pointed out the problem. I was told that it was the shine stuff I clean my dash board with, all "B.S!"

- , Norwalk, CA, USA

Jun 022009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I also had broken dash problems. I contacted Dodge and asked if any recalls and they said no. I don't know how they can get by without it being a recall when so many complaints. I had to replace whole dash and had trouble finding since this year model is a defect problem in the 2002 dodge rams.

- , Joplin, MO, USA

Nov 012008

Ram 1500 HD 5.9L Diesel

All these people having problems with there dashes and Dodge still does NOTHING..Bull Sh*t!!

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 HD 5.9L Diesel

I want my dash and cluster cover fixed or expect a lawsuit.

- , Baltimore, MD, USA

May 252011

Ram 1500 2500

i bought this truck used of course but i was told the dash was cracked about a year and a half after he had bought it brand new, there are sharp edges that every time i go to clean the dash i get scraped why wont dodge fix this?!?! oh yea because they are all about money just for themselves and not the safety of their loyal customers. blah blah blah dodge you need to fix this problem and do a recall!!!

- , New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 012008

Ram 1500 LS V8

The dashboard in our Dodge Ram 1500 is absolutely beyond repair. It's cracked into lots of little pieces --sharp pieces-- that could be a safety issue if I were to be in an accident. I have one friend who has the same make and model truck and has the same exact problem. The car isn't even 10 years old. The material used to make the dash is decidedly defective.

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Jun 172009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I have seen several complaints on just this website alone regarding the poor quality dash in the Dodge Ram, and I agree with several other people that Dodge needs to step up to the dash and fix this poor quality part. I am a Dodge fan always have been won't but anything else but this is ridiculous. The cost to replace a dash is outrageous, knowing that there are this many complaints you would think Dodge would do something.

Has anybody really found or had success in replacing thier dash?

- , Chambersburg, PA, USA

Aug 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Dealer today told me today ,it will cost $916.00 for parts and $860.00 for labor and explained this is a common problem.They are crazy, I love my truck , but worry more and more about the safety of all passengers. This is just unacceptable for MADE in USA. It looks like Toyota is the better choice the next time around.

Should have listened to my Son in Law.

- , Fountain Hills, AZ, USA

Sep 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should address this as a problem and fix this. I keep my dashboard protected from the sun and it still has 3 cracked places. I have been a loyal dodge owner for more than 16 years and having problems like this makes me question the quality of materials and integrity of the company.

- , Grayson, GA, USA

Jul 042010

Ram 1500

As much as I paid for this truck, this shouldn't have done this. I mean how my dashboard cracked. joseph thompson

- , Roebuck, SC, USA

Nov 022009

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard

Have noticed that some of my friends that have had a dodge, have also had problems with their dashboards cracking, falling apart, and caving in completely. Mine is not far from doing the same thing. I have a 3 year old grand daughter, and afraid she will cut her self, if she happens to touch any of the sharp edges on the dashboard.

There is a serious problem and needs to be addressed and recalled immediately.

- , Port Orange, FL, USA

Aug 052011

Ram 1500 5.9lV8

Dodge needs to get off their butts and recall all of these dashboards. It really makes a Dodge family want to switch to another Mfg.

- , Henderson, NC, USA

Nov 012010

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 dashboard started cracking last year on the rear portion. Then, the front portion got worse so I recovered with a dash cap for the rear and front portions. This cost me around $249. I wish Dodge would recall these dashboards because I see a lot of Dodge trucks out there like mine and there are a lot of complaints online.

- , Millbrook, AL, USA

Jun 012011

Ram 1500

Dodge should stand behind this problem. I keep my dashboard protected from the sun and it still has cracked 4 places and counting. I will never buy another Dodge truck after the problems I have had with this one.

- , Delaware, OH, USA

Feb 152009

Ram 1500 4.7lV8

I had a customer bring in a 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for a heater core.The dash was cracked badly and when I pulled it out to access the heater core it broke in even more places resulting in a nasty cut to myself and my son.I called Dodge and they offered a $100 discount on parts and labor at their local dealer to have it replaced.The price was about $1200 installed. I told them I was going to contact my lawyer and they just laughed, so I reported it to NHTSA instead and learned that if enough people will report the same thing they will force Chrysler Corporation to recall the defect.This is FYI to anyone out there who has or had one of the many model year Dodge Ram pickups with this problem to REPORT IT TO NHTSA so it will eventually be recalled as a safety issue.Just imagine what could happen to anyone,especially children,who was involved in a crash in one of these trucks with the defective dashboards.The cracks form what are essentially very sharp" knives" that will maim or, God forbid, KILL someone.If we all band together we can get this thing recalled for the safety of many people.Remember Jesus loves you unconditionally.............Have a blessed day....................

- , Glen, MS, USA