Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. sell (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 25)

Nov 262011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I paid a lot for my dodge ram,and I take a lot of time caring for it to keep it in good condition. but the dash cracking put me over the edge, I don't understand putting such poor materials in a $30,000.00 truck. The body rust is another problem coming up.

- , Pawcatuck, CT, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 LST 4.7L V8

This is my second Dodge.. I love my truck.. its great... I keep up on the maintanence very well.. Oil always changed, tire rotations... I have already replaced the entire cooling system... My issue is that Dodge refuses to deal with this... There are alot of people out there like me that are loyal to the truck and the company... So is that loyalty not reciprocated ... I would buy this truck all over again... this is not simply about a problem not being cost effective. I am a Project Manager and understand the cost analysis that associated with this problem... However.. there is a golden rule in project management... fix the issue before it becomes too big of a problem to solve... Dodge.. get ur head out of ur a$$ and do what it right by those who stand by their trucks... In this economy, now is not the time to roll the dice with loyalties... ugh

- , Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 052005

Ram 1500 LX

2002 dodge ram 1500 cracked dash needs to be recalled. I cant afford to get it fixed I am affraid the wires are going to get to hot in this heat and catch on fire !!!

- , Gaffney, SC, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 SLT

This is absolutely ridiculous. The cracks started showing up small and almost unnoticeable. Then I noticed there were cracks ALL OVER the dashboard. Next my vents and speaker covers have all but completely caved in. Now my AC doesn't work after it has only even turned on when the control is all the way on high for 2 years, however the fan blew at whatever speed it wanted. Because of the Florida sun? TOO BAD I HAVE A DASH COVER ON IT! All Dodge has to do is admit they made a mistake and recall it. This is my first vehicle I've ever had, and I've always taken exceptional care of it. Dodge-you will NEVER get another CENT of my hard earned money.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Oct 152011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

The Dodge dashboard is due to poor molding problems; I am in the plastics industry and can honestly say the material used was good material. Chrysler chose the cheap route to take on the mold building and design, and (i'm sure) ignored technical advice given about ribbing (strength) and thickness (also strength). Once again not only done wrong, done wrong intentionally to save a few dollars. The amount of material saved, with the crappy mold design used, saved Dodge approx $1.50 - $3.00 per dashboard, based on market costs of the particular type of plastic, as of 11/14/2011.

Way to go Chrysler, another poor job done intentionally. I am switching to another “American Made Truck” once this one is finished falling apart.

(All of the above, obviously is in my opinion, I don’t want those jerks coming after me for liability)

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 202011

Ram 1500 4.7L

After seeing how many complaints there were about this problem. I would like to know how to get it fixed...cheaply!

I see several people have contacted Dodge directly about the problem. Some have gotten resolution and some haven't. I would like to know who to contact at Dodge, a website to go to, or anything that will help me fix this problem before it gets worse.

- , Plano, TX, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

This is my second experience with cracked Dodge Ram dashboards. My first was on a 1999 Dodge Ram, my second on a 2002. I incorrectly assumed that Dodge would have solved this problem by then but they have not. I called a dealership and explained the problem. They quoted me over $1000 to replace it. I have owned a total of 5 Dodge trucks but will never buy another one after learning that the company refuses to acknowledge this problem.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

- , Saint Albans, WV, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

First it was one crack in the middle them it cracked in 2 other places. I had to replace the heater core and it came out in about 1000 pieces. Only place I heard you can get one is from dodge.

- , Mill Run, PA, USA

Nov 092010

Ram 1500 ST 4.2L

With the number of Dashes that are being reported across various websites, there should be something done. People spend hard earned money on these vehicles and the defective product is a costly one for consumers to fix if done correctly and not just covered up! Step up Dodge

- , Bangs, TX, USA

Nov 112005

Ram 1500 LX 5.6L Diesel

I imagine I am among thousands with this problem and if there are certain replacements to look into or definitely avoid,I'd appreciate the input.

- , Charleston, SC, USA

Jun 302010

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

well i have owned dodge trucks for many many years,the one that i traded in for the 2002 model had no problems i just wanted a new one.if i had known that the dash was going to go to hell i would have kept my 97 model,i have had no other problems with the present truck at all.i think that dodge should do a recall and repair this problem,i have taken very good care of this vehicle i allways park it in a garage,when i cant and it is hot out i use one of those heat deflectors in the windsheild,i armorall it all the time on the interior,this truck was a 30,000 dollar truck it has the leather package and all the whistles and bells.and it only has 60,000 miles on it.i know that the dash board cracking is not just a once and as while thing,it seems that they are all that way.

if dodge does not want to fix this,maybe i will buy a ford next time or a chevy or a toyota or a honda,or anything but a dodge

- , Terre Haute, IN, USA

Sep 092011

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 5.9L V8

dash is cracked as everyone else on here is.i have bought new jeeps fords chevy dodge and this one is a pain i am a person who has show cars and i cant stand my cars trucks to look bad in anyway dodge needs to do something soon to fix the problem or i will go back to chevy never had a problem with chevy at all seems like the dodge brands i have bought always have some sort of problems jeep ram charger crysler 300 pt crusier what a joke to rip off the people who keep you in business.

- , Vincennes, IN, USA

Jun 142004

Ram 1500 V8

I have had my dashboard starting to crack after I had my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 for about 2 years, first it was just a hairline crack in the middle of the dash up by the lower part of the window, then over time it started new cracks and now I have at least 7. They are all running vertical and have gone over towards the instrument panel and almost the the glove box. I called Chrysler Corp. this morning and talked to Alex, with the "Ram specialty team" basically they are not going to do anything. When I said " there are several hundreds of complaints on the internet " he said " just because something is posted on the internet does not necessarily make it true" his other statement to me was" that at some point the owner needs to take responsibility of their vehicle." I then called the dealership where I purchased the truck and asked to speak to the manager, his name is Darren with Maxwell Dodge in Austin, Tex. he said if the corporation cannot do anything his hands are tied. He then ask how much I had brought my truck in to them to have it serviced, I stated that I had not brought it in. He said if I was a "loyal" customer, then maybe he could call Chrysler and maybe they could help out in some way. I wanted to try and see if Chrysler/ Dodge would do the right thing, I now know they do not care about customer service, so my next recourse is to call KXAN in Austin and ask if they would do an investigation on the problem and news report. Someone needs to make us some bumper stickers with the truth about this problem so everyone can see how Dodge treats customers.

- , Cedar Park, TX, USA

Oct 262011

Ram 1500 V6

My dash is cracked in 6 or 7 different locations and now I have whole pieces that are no longer connected to anything.

I think DODGE should replace it 100%.

- , Weatherford, OK, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

A couple of years ago, my Dodge Ram 1500 starting getting cracks in the dashboard. It started around the passenger side dashboard speaker. In the couple of years that have passed, the cracks run from front to back and from side to side. Parts of dash, around vents and speakers, have started to collapse. I work from home, so I don't put a ton of miles on my truck (approx 50k) It stays in a shaded part of the driveway. Something like this shouldn't be a problem, especially with the way my truck is maintained.

This problem needs to be fixed by Dodge. From all I can tell, this dash problem is a pervasive problem and could be life threatening, if I were to be in an accident. Furthermore, I'm sure that the electronics, under the dash, are at risk. I've owned this Dodge Truck for 10 years, and owned other Dodge products, but this will likely be the last Dodge I buy, unless Dodge steps up and fixes this problem

- , Suwanee, GA, USA

Sep 172011

Ram 1500

I will never buy another dodge product. The dash problem has caused my fan motor to stop and short out, just waiting for a fire. No heat or air. an absolute piece of crap.

- , Byron, GA, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Started with a small crack, in the center up at the windshield. Eventually spider webbed out to several cracks. Just recently, an entire defrost vent grill collapsed - half of it going down into the defrost duct. Starting reading on how to replace, found out its been a big problem for lots of folks. Just wanted to log complaint too.

- , Conway, AR, USA

Jun 222010

Ram 1500 SLT V8

I drove my truck with my family on vacation. I arrived to my destination, checked into my hotel, got some rest, woke up the next morning, and my whole dashboard had cracks everywhere. WTF! I can't figure out for the life of me why this happened.

Today I contacted:

I created a case and I hope to get some assistance. It's worth a try.

- , Duluth, GA, USA

Nov 012005

Ram 1500 3.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

thanks to dash pieces in the air vents, my heater and ac wont work on the drivers side. Now its gonna run 1500k plus to fix both. thanks dodge.

- , Crowley, TX, USA