CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 8 of 25)

Nov 162004

Ram 1500 XLS 4.7L

Had read up on trucks before purchasing; Dodge 1500 seemed best rated for my needs. Loved the truck overall, but the dash cracked all over and the clip for the sunglasses compartment snapped off with little use. Quality of the plastic was definitely inferior. Dodge had to be aware of this-should have been a recall item.

- , Balch Springs, TX, USA

May 002007

Ram 1500 XLT 4.7L

This problem is the same as everyone elses, who bought a Dodge truck, cheap-ass manufacturing , and piss poor materials. My truck is parked mostly under a tree, and usually has a sun shield over the dash at other times, this did not stop dash from breaking apart in numerous places, also the window control switches fell out, and the lower dash cup holders fell apart. After getting a lot of flack about not buying American, i purchased the Dodge, only to find out it was built in Mexico, never again.

Update from Sep 25, 2014: Have had several people interested in buying my truck, on account of the low mileage on it, but when they see the state of the dash, they walk away.I and probably numerous other owners are stuck with these vehicles because of Chryslers nickle and dime manufacturing practices. ASSHOLES !!!!!!!!

- , Cherry Hill, NJ, USA

Sep 082009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

As one can see the dashboard is pretty beat up. It has never been in an accident or physically damaged by intentially or otherwise by me. One day I got in the truck and there was a small crack on the passenger side and since then it has progressively gotten worse. I thought to pull one from a junk yard but then the fix would only be temporary due to the fact that all the models in this line have this defect... and who can afford to just throw money away? Although this is not a safety issue (yet) one can certainly agree that it is a design failure that should be addressed. As a Navy veteran I dont understand how an American company can knowingly produce and turn a blind eye on such mediocre craftsmanship especially in a field that we are suppose to dominate. I am a Mopar man! As a kid I owned a 1969 Plymouth Belvedere. If it wasn't for all the speeding tickets I would still have it, and I love my truck, it was a surprise gift my wife bought me after my first deployment to Iraq, after 9/11, so I want to keep it. But, I can't justify constantly putting money into it only to have it break down. If that was the case I would have bought a Ford. I can ownly say I hope Dodge makes the decision to recall this item and show the nation they still believe in Honoring the community that would rather "Ram it" than 'Stroke it", Courage to admit they made a mistake, and Commitment to great craftsmanship and customer service, because that's the company we all fell in love with.

-Keeping it Mopar-

- , Santee, CA, USA

Sep 122006

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

This problem has been going on for many years and dodge has not addressed it. My son had a 99 MODEL WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

- , Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Aug 142009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

I bought the truck and have been very happy with it until i noticed a small crack by windshield. Then a crack above gauges, then one across defroster vents, then about 8 total joined the party.... It makes me not even want to keep the inside clean when the dash is literally falling through like an egg shell. Smooth pull Dodge.

- , Cave In Rock, IL, USA

Oct 152009

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

The dash is disintegrating, falling apart and is becoming a hazard, parts falling down under the dash effecting wiring. even after putting a cover on it.

- , Bentonville, AR, USA

Aug 022011

Ram 1500

The dash in this truck is terrible..Cracked all over..Very Cheap!

- , New Braunfels, TX, USA

May 032010

Ram 1500 SLT 4x4 5.9L V8

I did not realize how wide spread this problem was, but I do agree that this is a dangerous problem. The edges on those cracks are sharp and poses a dangerous to any passenger riding with me in my truck. Dodge should take responsibility for this problem and address it very quicky.

- , Perris, CA, USA

Jul 012010

Ram 1500 4.7L

Obviously, this is a major problem but typical of how Dodge is handling the problem. Aside from the aesthetics, if there is ever an incident where the cracked, plastic dash causes an injury, Dodge will find itself in a lawsuit over a defect it hasn't addressed. Agree that this should be recalled.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Jun 192011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L V8

This really sucks, I love my truck and paid lots of money when new. Dash has a hole the size of a baseball next to the passenger air vent. It rattles when driving, it drives me crazy, man at dealership just laughed and told me that it would cost around $600.00 to have it repaired. He also told me that just about every 2002 ram 1500 truck has this problem. Dodge should step up and make things right, this is ridiculous.

- , Clinton, NC, USA

Nov 262011

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I paid a lot for my dodge ram,and I take a lot of time caring for it to keep it in good condition. but the dash cracking put me over the edge, I don't understand putting such poor materials in a $30,000.00 truck. The body rust is another problem coming up.

- , Pawcatuck, CT, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 LST 4.7L V8

This is my second Dodge.. I love my truck.. its great... I keep up on the maintanence very well.. Oil always changed, tire rotations... I have already replaced the entire cooling system... My issue is that Dodge refuses to deal with this... There are alot of people out there like me that are loyal to the truck and the company... So is that loyalty not reciprocated ... I would buy this truck all over again... this is not simply about a problem not being cost effective. I am a Project Manager and understand the cost analysis that associated with this problem... However.. there is a golden rule in project management... fix the issue before it becomes too big of a problem to solve... Dodge.. get ur head out of ur a$$ and do what it right by those who stand by their trucks... In this economy, now is not the time to roll the dice with loyalties... ugh

- , Daytona Beach, FL, USA

Jul 052005

Ram 1500 LX

2002 dodge ram 1500 cracked dash needs to be recalled. I cant afford to get it fixed I am affraid the wires are going to get to hot in this heat and catch on fire !!!

- , Gaffney, SC, USA

Jul 012009

Ram 1500 SLT

This is absolutely ridiculous. The cracks started showing up small and almost unnoticeable. Then I noticed there were cracks ALL OVER the dashboard. Next my vents and speaker covers have all but completely caved in. Now my AC doesn't work after it has only even turned on when the control is all the way on high for 2 years, however the fan blew at whatever speed it wanted. Because of the Florida sun? TOO BAD I HAVE A DASH COVER ON IT! All Dodge has to do is admit they made a mistake and recall it. This is my first vehicle I've ever had, and I've always taken exceptional care of it. Dodge-you will NEVER get another CENT of my hard earned money.

- , Lakeland, FL, USA

Oct 152011

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

The Dodge dashboard is due to poor molding problems; I am in the plastics industry and can honestly say the material used was good material. Chrysler chose the cheap route to take on the mold building and design, and (i'm sure) ignored technical advice given about ribbing (strength) and thickness (also strength). Once again not only done wrong, done wrong intentionally to save a few dollars. The amount of material saved, with the crappy mold design used, saved Dodge approx $1.50 - $3.00 per dashboard, based on market costs of the particular type of plastic, as of 11/14/2011.

Way to go Chrysler, another poor job done intentionally. I am switching to another “American Made Truck” once this one is finished falling apart.

(All of the above, obviously is in my opinion, I don’t want those jerks coming after me for liability)

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jul 202011

Ram 1500 4.7L

After seeing how many complaints there were about this problem. I would like to know how to get it fixed...cheaply!

I see several people have contacted Dodge directly about the problem. Some have gotten resolution and some haven't. I would like to know who to contact at Dodge, a website to go to, or anything that will help me fix this problem before it gets worse.

- , Plano, TX, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

This is my second experience with cracked Dodge Ram dashboards. My first was on a 1999 Dodge Ram, my second on a 2002. I incorrectly assumed that Dodge would have solved this problem by then but they have not. I called a dealership and explained the problem. They quoted me over $1000 to replace it. I have owned a total of 5 Dodge trucks but will never buy another one after learning that the company refuses to acknowledge this problem.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jul 152011

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

VERY PISSED OFF, NEVER HAD A VEHICLE WHERE THE DASHBOARD CRACKED. SEEMS TO ME THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN IF QUALTY METERALS WERE USED, NOW ADAYS EVERTHING IS MADE CHEAP,AS LONG AS THE MANUFACTURES GET THERE PROFIT

- , Saint Albans, WV, USA

Mar 012011

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L V8

First it was one crack in the middle them it cracked in 2 other places. I had to replace the heater core and it came out in about 1000 pieces. Only place I heard you can get one is from dodge.

- , Mill Run, PA, USA

Nov 092010

Ram 1500 ST 4.2L

With the number of Dashes that are being reported across various websites, there should be something done. People spend hard earned money on these vehicles and the defective product is a costly one for consumers to fix if done correctly and not just covered up! Step up Dodge

- , Bangs, TX, USA