CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 15 of 25)

Nov 302008

Ram 1500 4.7L

Overall I love my truck and have taken very good care of it - people are always surprised it is a 2002 when they see it but it makes me sick to sit in the truck and see the dash just fall apart - looks like hell. Whenever I'm @ a stoplight next to another Ram, I always look to see if their dash is cracked also - 9 time out of 10 it is and the one that isn't is a new truck. I want to roll down the window to show them what they have to look forward to.

I really wish Dodge would step up and replace them, at least for a discount or pay for labor or what ever to help out but I'm not holding my breath.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Apr 022010

Ram 1500 Sport 4.9L

Shame on your Dodge...I really love my truck and have had very few problems, but these cracks in the dashboard is just crazy...I will never, I repeat never buy another dodge product ever again. This item should have been recalled a long time ago...

- , Missouri City, Texas 77459, USA

Feb 182008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum

hello i love my dodge but ever since i have had the dash starting to crack i have thought about selling it if dodge would stand behind this problem they would sell more vehicles because if people are like me i love my dodge alot there telling people that it is not a safety issue but what happens if the dash is cracked really bad and you get hit and the airbag goes off and sends a piece of that cracked dash threw you face sounds like safety issue to me not to mention the sun baking down the heat and messing up wiring inside dash this needs to be fixed what we all need to do is to find a lawyer that will take our case and sue the hell out of dodge get enough money to buy a new Chevrolet pickup. well gotta go

- , Raven, VA, USA

Aug 232009

Ram 1500 V8

I was surprised to see that this was really a big issue. absolutely a defect.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 5.9L

I JUST CANT BELIEVE HOW BAD MY DASHBOARD LOOKS ...THESE CRACKS ARE HUGE AND EVERYWHERE ON THE DASH... DON'T EVEN KNOW JUST WHAT TO DO. THESE COVERS ARE SOO TACKY AND THE REPLACEMENTS ARE SOOO COSTLY THIS IS OUR 4TH DODGE AND WE THOUGHT ABOUT GETTING THE NEW CHARGER BUT HELLLL TO THE NOOOO.. WE HONESTLY DON'T THINK THAT WE WILL EVER GET ANOTHER DODGE.. THE NEW CAMARO ISN'T A BAD SECOND CHOICE...BUT SERIOUSLY THIS DASH IS PRETTY EMBARRASSING...HOPE THAT DODGE DOES SOMETHING SOON... ( YEAH RIGHT )

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Aug 102005

Ram 1500 LS 360V8

my third ram 1500 pick up since 97 and all 3 trucks dashboard cracked up. i just repaired this one with a glue down cover for $300.00 i found it on line from stockinteriors.com if that helps anyone. you can paint them yourself and your interior paint code is on the sticker in the glove box. this will be my last ram because of this problem and others such as having to replace the head light lens at $125.00 a piece, electrical problems, and the paints clear coat failed and dodge told me it was chemical fall out lmao i told the guy at dodge on the phone if that was true every auto on the road wouldn't have clear coat not just dodge trucks and he went silent and then hung up on me. no wonder they cant sell trucks, they have stooped to using inferior materials on their over priced vehicles. part of the bail out agreement from the govt. should have been to re-call and repair the junk they have on the streets already, then come see us for a loan. we might all have decent dashes and paint. anyway, thats my story. i will never buy another dodge pick up.

- , Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Nov 182009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

i wish dodge would do something about this obvious problem. I have owned to dodge ram 1500 and both have done the same thing. I regret buying another one because this one is worse. It has cracks everywhere. It is really annoying. Guess I'm buying a GMC or Ford next time. Too bad because I loved my dodge. But they obviously don't give a dam!!!!!!

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 042007

Ram 1500 LTD 5.9L

What the Hell? Never buying a dodge again. JUNK I don't think they know or care how to build cars anymore. Sad, that I loved my last Dodge, never had a minutes problem.

- , Warren, MI, USA

Feb 232010

Ram 1500 Sport

The dash just crumbled when being detailed. There is no reason this should occur. It is definitely a manufacture defect. From slight pressure at the windshield, the vents broke and there are cracks on both sides of the dash and continue down the passenger side.

- , Hemet, CA, USA

Aug 212007

Ram 1500

The dash on this vehicle is falling apart from one end to the other, Dodge has to know there is a problem and need to fix the problem without any questions asked. Have anyone contacted dodge with any success of them fixing their dash?

- , Ellenwood, GA, USA

Jul 252007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

First off I am a diehard mopar fan, but dodge really let everyone down with this one. I bought my truck used in 07 the dash was cracked then, not as bad, but it was cracked. The guy at the car lot told all the 02 models were cracked by now. I thought he was just telling me that, but now I know he wasn't. dodge needs to have a recall on this one. I wanted to grip more, but like most of you I'm sure I have a nagging wife. So if we keep gripping maybe just maybe they will have a recall one day.

- , Brewton, AL, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

DODGE NEED TO STEP UP AND FIX THIS MY DASH BOARD IS F*CKED UP SOME ONE NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS

- , West Monroe, LA, USA

Jan 012010

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I love my Dodge ram liked the new body style when they came out in 2002. I finally got one this year and it is in mint condition. I was a chevy guy all the why but I really like owning my dodge ram except for the cracked dash. I thought that the previous owner hit it or something but after reading comments on this web site it appears to be a big problem and dodge should take care of it. It obviously is a defect

- , Lincoln, NE, USA

May 012008

Ram 1500 ES V6

If Dodge doesn't recall, I will not buy another Dodge. I'm loyal to Dodge, but I'm very unhappy with this issue.

- , Bixby, OK, USA

Dec 012009

Ram 1500 1500 5.9L

I can't believe Dodge doesn't have a recall for this issue. I had the truck since 2005 and several issues with it. The transmission went out a couple of years ago. I didn't complain about the costly repair. But come on, the dash board should have never cracked like this. I give it a year and there want be a dash board left. This needs to be addressed by dodge, I can see why the motor companies are having finical problems. This will be my last dodge product. If they can't stand up by their product oh well. The hell with them. If anyone has any updates please keep me inform.

- , West Point, GA, USA

Dec 152009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Poor craftsman ship. Made in the USA should mean something like it used to

- , Wyoming, DE, USA

Jun 152009

Ram 1500 SLT

I think that dodge should replace it because no one seems to carry the part.

- , Kingsville, TX, USA

Jul 042008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

someone could be seriously hurt or Killed by the sharp edges of the exposed broken dashboards. Dodge needs a recall to fix this problem or the gov need to make them before Some one gets really hurt or killed. think about our Children Loved ones And babys getting hurt or killed by the flying sharp chunks of plastic breaking off in an accident.

- , Keithville, LA, USA

Oct 022008

Ram 1500 Lonestar 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I've taken very good care of my vehicle and for being 8 years old now with only 50,000 miles on it...this is ridiculous!

- , Victoria, TX, USA

May 082005

Ram 1500

my 2002 Dodge Ram1500 has cracks in the dashboard. no place to fix it....no recall. I have been trying for 5 years to get it fixed. if i find the person who did this..well u get the picture

- , GROVELAND, FL, USA