CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (271 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (91 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 16 of 25)

Jul 042008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

someone could be seriously hurt or Killed by the sharp edges of the exposed broken dashboards. Dodge needs a recall to fix this problem or the gov need to make them before Some one gets really hurt or killed. think about our Children Loved ones And babys getting hurt or killed by the flying sharp chunks of plastic breaking off in an accident.

- , Keithville, LA, USA

Oct 022008

Ram 1500 Lonestar 5.9L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I've taken very good care of my vehicle and for being 8 years old now with only 50,000 miles on it...this is ridiculous!

- , Victoria, TX, USA

May 082005

Ram 1500

my 2002 Dodge Ram1500 has cracks in the dashboard. no place to fix it....no recall. I have been trying for 5 years to get it fixed. if i find the person who did this..well u get the picture

- , GROVELAND, FL, USA

Oct 092006

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

Is there anything that Chrysler is doing to take care of this?

- , San Marcos, CA, USA

Feb 222009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Been a dodge person since the 60'S It seems dodge has had the dash board trouble for a long time?

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US

Mar 072009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

The plastic dash for the defrost vents fell completely apart. Haven't fond a replacement one yet?

- , West Palm Beach, FL, US

Aug 042009

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L V8

I never really use my dashboard but it still looks like crap. I have gotten a comment from everybody that has sat in my vehicle because of how noticible it is. Dodge really needs to recall this part because it is something that should be taken care of to make more people respect the dodge truck more that other makes. I am a Dodge man all the way and I think dodge should fix all problems so they will not turn people away from continuing to buy Dodge trucks. The reaso I say this is because everyone that i talk to says that the better truck is a Ford or a Chevy, and i always go against them because i love my Dodge and all that it has got me through. Pleas create a recall and build back tha Dodge name for all Dodge fans. This is Nacci, GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS!!!

- , Grovetown, GA, USA

Jan 012009

Ram 1500 4.7L

Notice a small creeping crack in the front dash near windshield earlier this year. About mid year notice a crack just above the glove box which is almost completely cracked all the way through to the front down to the glove box.

Dodge needs to come out with a recall NOW.

- , South Mills, NC, USA

Feb 042006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

This is complete BS that Dodge wont replace the dash for free. Every 02 Dodge has the same problem. If anyone out there with an 02 Dodge Ram 1500 and there dash is not cracked I will pay the money for it to be fixed but its funny havent found one yet????

- , Oakhurst, NJ, USA

Jun 012005

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L V8

My Dodge to date has run nicely and had few issues. Now with 129K miles I hope it continues running good.

The Dash issue is a royal pain in the ass. Dodge should have recalled this. If I were to be in an accident the shards of plastic from the dash would be flying everywhere and be an opportunity for injury. The dash is cracked in multiple pieces and continues cracking.

- , Saint Petersburg, FL, US

Jan 042006

Ram 1500 4.7L

For someone who really takes care of their truck and parks it in the garage 365 days a year, The dash board looks like sh*t...He has numerous little and huge cracks running from the windshield to the little defroster vents. and the cracks are deep...... Dodge needs to come up with something for the poeple who are driving their products!

- , Montclair, CA, USA

Dec 092009

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

i buy a new truck see what i have know .my dash is cracked all to hell. it has holes all over the place dodge should issue a recall this is bullsh!t i like dodge but if they dont do something about this i won't get another

- , Thomasville, NC, US

Dec 012007

Ram 1500 V8 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I think the goverment should do something about it. Nobody wastes time complaint. We've got more important things to do. If we complaint and it's not one rare case. It's a lot of folks with pictures to prove it. Dodge must have used very bad quality abs plastic when manufacturing this part. So what can we expect? I called the dealer and he told me that just the upper dash which is the one where the tweeters are located cost between U$ 189.00 and $400.00 for a piece of plastic that is going to give us the same problem again and again. Government regulatory agencies should demand Dodge to recall all cars and fix this problem once and for all. I will not pay about $800.00 for just two pieces of bad quality plastic. I hope we have a judge or congressman that has a dodge with this same problem so they can feel a little bit of our frustration and maybe they can do something.

- , Kenner, LA, US

Aug 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

This is one of the reasons that American Auto Makers are going in the toilet. High labor costs and poor quality materials and workmanship. It's embarassing. And Dodge wants to brag about owner loyalty. What a joke!

- , Safety Harbor, FL, USA

Oct 052009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Rediculous, My boy and I were riding down the road and he was like nice crack in your dash. i was like yeah right! Sure enough 2 or 3 cracks running from windshield to the front. That is crap and the dash looks like sh**!

- , Germantown, MD, USA

Apr 162008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I have 32 cracks in my dash.... it is Bull sh*t...... and the dealership wants $1400 plus instalation fees to replace it i found one for $309.00 plus ship and handling if i do it myself... kids can be hurt on the sharp edges... it looks like sh*t.... it is not quality... i have had numerous problems with my dodge, but i love them they need to step their game up

- , Conway, SC, USA

Nov 262009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I just bought my truck about 2weeks ago and now I see there's a crack in dash board which wasn't there before I purchased it. My brother in-law has the same exact truck and wouldn't you know it, his dash is covered with a dash pad, so we looked under the dash pad and he also has the same exact crack! When is dodge going to fix this problem?

- , Silver Creek, NY, USA

Jun 012003

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

I took my truck a 2002 ram 1500 4wd to the dealer in 2003 where it was bought (Sorensen Schade Lake Wales, FL) and asked about a recall for the dash cracks which starting to appear. I was told by a service tech there where no recalls on the dash. As the years (6 years now) have passed the dash now looks like a jigsaw puzzle. My truck was only a year old at the time the cracks started to appear. The cracks now have moved into the front portion of the dash going down into the area where the air bags deploy. I have been a loyal customer of Dodge starting with the Intrepid when the body style was changed in 98 and also. I truly feel as a loyal customer that some sort of fix for this problem should be made.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Aug 142007

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

Wife's 2002 Dodge 1500 pickup, Dash has several cracks in it on both the front and the back of it. I do think that dodge needs to fix this problem and pay for it.

- , Ingram, TX, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My Ram 1500 has a six inch crack near center windshield in my dash running back toward occupants in forward panel

- , Flatwoods, KY, USA