CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (93 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 17 of 25)

Nov 262009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.7L

I just bought my truck about 2weeks ago and now I see there's a crack in dash board which wasn't there before I purchased it. My brother in-law has the same exact truck and wouldn't you know it, his dash is covered with a dash pad, so we looked under the dash pad and he also has the same exact crack! When is dodge going to fix this problem?

- , Silver Creek, NY, USA

Jun 012003

Ram 1500 Sport 5.7L

I took my truck a 2002 ram 1500 4wd to the dealer in 2003 where it was bought (Sorensen Schade Lake Wales, FL) and asked about a recall for the dash cracks which starting to appear. I was told by a service tech there where no recalls on the dash. As the years (6 years now) have passed the dash now looks like a jigsaw puzzle. My truck was only a year old at the time the cracks started to appear. The cracks now have moved into the front portion of the dash going down into the area where the air bags deploy. I have been a loyal customer of Dodge starting with the Intrepid when the body style was changed in 98 and also. I truly feel as a loyal customer that some sort of fix for this problem should be made.

- , Winter Haven, FL, USA

Aug 142007

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

Wife's 2002 Dodge 1500 pickup, Dash has several cracks in it on both the front and the back of it. I do think that dodge needs to fix this problem and pay for it.

- , Ingram, TX, USA

Oct 012009

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

My Ram 1500 has a six inch crack near center windshield in my dash running back toward occupants in forward panel

- , Flatwoods, KY, USA

Oct 232009

Ram 1500

dash is cracked in 4 different places very noticeable

- , Dayton, TX, USA

Jan 012003

Ram 1500 5.9L

I also have many crackes in the dash ,I booght the car brand new in 2002, in 03, i noticed the crackes. Today the back of the dash is taken out, it is in many pieces and was falling into the windshild vent holes. There is pieces still in there i cant get out or find. The front part of the dash is cracked in about 4 places i even have a big hole where the cracks meet. I think dodge should replace it. We did not pay all that money so we can have many problems. I realy wanted a ''FORD'' but my wife talked me into a dodge i will never buy a dodge again. Since the cracks are not the only problem with the truck. not to mention 3 recalls allready, 1 of which i still have to take care of.

- , Sun Valley, CA, US

Oct 092008

Ram 1500 Sport 4.7L

I have a 2002 doge ram 1500 sport. About a year ago my wife and I were going down the road and she made the comment that I had a crack on the passenger side of the dash. Bull sh---T I said because she likes to mess with me and she knows how I am about my truck. Well I did and about 2 months later another and another. I have 6 big cracks now. I have bought a dash overlay off ebay for about 275.00 and have not put it on yet but will let you know how it goes! My advice to anyone going to buy a new truck is to buy a toyota they are more expensive but worth the money plus have an excellent resale value have you checked your dodge!!! Its like they say, you get what you pay for!!!!!!!! As far as a recall forget it if it doesn't endanger someone's life they are not going to do sh---t about it! This is all I have to say and do about it - you are not the only one that feels like you got the shaft!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Leesville, SC, USA

Oct 082007

Ram 1500 4.7L

Has to be some way of contacting dodge to complain. Or is there some type of safety people to contact?

- , Seabrook, TX, USA

Jun 202009

Ram 1500 1500 4.8L V8

So many stories I have read here are an exact duplicate of what has happened to my dash. Not only is the front cover nearest the window cracked in 6 places, the portion facing the cabin of the truck is now split in 2 places where the cracks run vertically. I read in a earlier post to contact Dodge at 1-800-992-1997. Dodge should be made to pay for the full cost of this repair. I know of no other car/truck ever made with a dash that literally disintegrated for absolutely no reason.

- , Sealy, TX, USA

Dec 312008

Ram 1500 STX 4.7L

Dodge has known about the dash cracking in their trucks since 2000. A news station in Florida report the problem to Dodge. Dodge was going to send out a team to investigate and come up with a solution, that was 2 years ago. I like my dodge and have thought about purchasing a 2010, b ut I am not sure they have corrected the problem.

- , Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

I bought the truck from a used lot, everything was perfect on it, and I did not notice the cracks in the dash, I called them up about a week later when I noticed them, they took it back and had it "fixed" they wrapped the dash in vinyl, it looks like sh*t and they wouldn't replace it. I finally went and bought the front piece for right under the windshield and replaced that for $200, while at the Dodge dealership I tried to get quotes on the rear part of the dash and at first I got $1200 just for parts, then when I asked about it again I was told all the parts are out of stock, discontinued, etc. My whole family has driven Dodge since I was young and I'm honestly considering a Chevy or Nissan as my next truck due to how f*cking annoying this problem is and how difficult it is to have it fixed, I just wish I would have known at the time that I first noticed it that it's a common problem.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 272009

Ram 1500 SE 4.7L

Add my Dodge Ram dash problem to the list. What bothers me most is that only the top cover portion of the dash is cracked (section with the vent outlets), but replacing it is still over $500 through Dodge. After market parts are cheaper, but they don't have the grill section over the vent holes and those are broken on my vehicle. If anyone has a solution, please post it here.

- , Springdale, AR, USA

Jul 152009

Ram 1500 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I own a 2002 dodge ram 1500 and I have been noticing that the dash has been cracking and then it began to crack more to the point of having no dash at all. I don't think this is just a cosmetic defect it is a safety issue. It doesn't take a hoard of inspectors to see how this can cause damage to occupants in the truck. Lets just forget about the safety issue for a second, after buying a dodge intrepid and have the motor fail at 60,000 and I said " I will never buy another dodge", but I gave dodge a second chance because I liked the look of the truck inside and out. With that said I don't mind replacing the control arms where the ball joints are welded in, at a cost of 600.00 dollars. Wish I would have looked at that too, but having to replace the dash is not justified as an expense that I should have to pay for. If I sold this truck to someone I know the first thing they would say, "that doesn't look safe and makes you wonder what else is unsafe with the truck." It does make you wonder about the rest of the truck, did they cut corners on other parts of the vehicle? Let me ask nhtsa when they get into theirs vehicles to go home after work and your dash started cracking, to the point of your speakers falling out when you hit the brakes would you feel safe. THAT'S MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT

- , Mullins, SC, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4WD 5.9L Magnum V8

I lived in Hawaii for three years where the sun is hot all year long and never had this kind of problem. This is my first Dodge and I love this truck, and I keep my vehicles very clean and well maintained. But why should we have to pay to have these dashboards fixed when there are so many complaints. Dodge needs to step up to the plate and have these fixed before someone has a truck fire. I don't know if I will ever buy a Dodge again, it might have to be Chevy.

- , Mooresville, NC, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I called the dodge company and they told me to get an estimate because the cracked dashboard was a factory defect and they would fix it. when i called back with the estimate they told me they would pay for half. i told them its a factory defect and you will only pay half of two thousand dollars. so everyone who has dashboard problems you can call this number 800-992-1997 and talk to someone about getting your problem fixed. i guess they would rather be out a little money by paying half then by paying the full amount to have the dashboards in all the vehicles replaced. i am seeking advice before i take them up on there offer

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should fix this problem. My dash is falling apart. It is actually breaking apart and falling into the defrost vents. I thought my truck was American made, but it has MADE IN MEXICO stamped all over it. It is a piece of sh*t. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product, and I will tell everyone I know and people I don't know that Dodge products are a piece of crap and what ever you do, don't buy it!!!!

- , Sarepta, LA, USA

Sep 262008

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 4.7L

My wife has a 02 1500 pu the dash board is real bad. I drive a 1994 FORD pu stays in the sun 5 to 7 days a week does not have a crack. Dodge needs to take care of this I WISH. The dodge stays under a carport most of the time. Ford does not.

- , Duson, LA, USA

May 112009

Ram 1500 4x4 4.7L V8

I think this is BULLS&*T! It was 2002 when this truck was built and bought. Why in the hell can't Dodge source better material to build their truck out of. Don't think I am going to spend $40,000 dollars on one of your new trucks, just to have the dash crack up in a few years. Dodge should replace these! You know I always worried about this and kept my dashed armor-oiled.... But yeah it still Sapped, Crackeld and Poped

- , Eastover, SC, US

Jun 132007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I thing Dodge needs to recall, and fix the problem.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 192006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

the dash pad in the 2002 ram is a cheaply made, probably chinese piece of sh*t. my truck had only 28000 miles on it when it started to crack. i always liked dodge trucks, ive owned 5 of them. the new f150 looks pretty tempting about now. if i can unload my piece of sh*t ram. it only has 48000 miles on it now. anyone interested? mayby i could get 4500$ for the cash for clunkers program.

- , Charleroi, PA, USA