CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 17 of 25)

Oct 082007

Ram 1500 4.7L

Has to be some way of contacting dodge to complain. Or is there some type of safety people to contact?

- , Seabrook, TX, USA

Jun 202009

Ram 1500 1500 4.8L V8

So many stories I have read here are an exact duplicate of what has happened to my dash. Not only is the front cover nearest the window cracked in 6 places, the portion facing the cabin of the truck is now split in 2 places where the cracks run vertically. I read in a earlier post to contact Dodge at 1-800-992-1997. Dodge should be made to pay for the full cost of this repair. I know of no other car/truck ever made with a dash that literally disintegrated for absolutely no reason.

- , Sealy, TX, USA

Dec 312008

Ram 1500 STX 4.7L

Dodge has known about the dash cracking in their trucks since 2000. A news station in Florida report the problem to Dodge. Dodge was going to send out a team to investigate and come up with a solution, that was 2 years ago. I like my dodge and have thought about purchasing a 2010, b ut I am not sure they have corrected the problem.

- , Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Jan 142009

Ram 1500 ST 4.7L V8

I bought the truck from a used lot, everything was perfect on it, and I did not notice the cracks in the dash, I called them up about a week later when I noticed them, they took it back and had it "fixed" they wrapped the dash in vinyl, it looks like sh*t and they wouldn't replace it. I finally went and bought the front piece for right under the windshield and replaced that for $200, while at the Dodge dealership I tried to get quotes on the rear part of the dash and at first I got $1200 just for parts, then when I asked about it again I was told all the parts are out of stock, discontinued, etc. My whole family has driven Dodge since I was young and I'm honestly considering a Chevy or Nissan as my next truck due to how f*cking annoying this problem is and how difficult it is to have it fixed, I just wish I would have known at the time that I first noticed it that it's a common problem.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 272009

Ram 1500 SE 4.7L

Add my Dodge Ram dash problem to the list. What bothers me most is that only the top cover portion of the dash is cracked (section with the vent outlets), but replacing it is still over $500 through Dodge. After market parts are cheaper, but they don't have the grill section over the vent holes and those are broken on my vehicle. If anyone has a solution, please post it here.

- , Springdale, AR, USA

Jul 152009

Ram 1500 4.7L

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I own a 2002 dodge ram 1500 and I have been noticing that the dash has been cracking and then it began to crack more to the point of having no dash at all. I don't think this is just a cosmetic defect it is a safety issue. It doesn't take a hoard of inspectors to see how this can cause damage to occupants in the truck. Lets just forget about the safety issue for a second, after buying a dodge intrepid and have the motor fail at 60,000 and I said " I will never buy another dodge", but I gave dodge a second chance because I liked the look of the truck inside and out. With that said I don't mind replacing the control arms where the ball joints are welded in, at a cost of 600.00 dollars. Wish I would have looked at that too, but having to replace the dash is not justified as an expense that I should have to pay for. If I sold this truck to someone I know the first thing they would say, "that doesn't look safe and makes you wonder what else is unsafe with the truck." It does make you wonder about the rest of the truck, did they cut corners on other parts of the vehicle? Let me ask nhtsa when they get into theirs vehicles to go home after work and your dash started cracking, to the point of your speakers falling out when you hit the brakes would you feel safe. THAT'S MY STORY AND I AM STICKING TO IT

- , Mullins, SC, USA

Jun 012009

Ram 1500 SLT Sport 4WD 5.9L Magnum V8

I lived in Hawaii for three years where the sun is hot all year long and never had this kind of problem. This is my first Dodge and I love this truck, and I keep my vehicles very clean and well maintained. But why should we have to pay to have these dashboards fixed when there are so many complaints. Dodge needs to step up to the plate and have these fixed before someone has a truck fire. I don't know if I will ever buy a Dodge again, it might have to be Chevy.

- , Mooresville, NC, USA

Sep 012008

Ram 1500 LX 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I called the dodge company and they told me to get an estimate because the cracked dashboard was a factory defect and they would fix it. when i called back with the estimate they told me they would pay for half. i told them its a factory defect and you will only pay half of two thousand dollars. so everyone who has dashboard problems you can call this number 800-992-1997 and talk to someone about getting your problem fixed. i guess they would rather be out a little money by paying half then by paying the full amount to have the dashboards in all the vehicles replaced. i am seeking advice before i take them up on there offer

- , Evansville, IN, USA

Jan 012005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Dodge should fix this problem. My dash is falling apart. It is actually breaking apart and falling into the defrost vents. I thought my truck was American made, but it has MADE IN MEXICO stamped all over it. It is a piece of sh*t. I will never buy another Dodge/Chrysler product, and I will tell everyone I know and people I don't know that Dodge products are a piece of crap and what ever you do, don't buy it!!!!

- , Sarepta, LA, USA

Sep 262008

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 4.7L

My wife has a 02 1500 pu the dash board is real bad. I drive a 1994 FORD pu stays in the sun 5 to 7 days a week does not have a crack. Dodge needs to take care of this I WISH. The dodge stays under a carport most of the time. Ford does not.

- , Duson, LA, USA

May 112009

Ram 1500 4x4 4.7L V8

I think this is BULLS&*T! It was 2002 when this truck was built and bought. Why in the hell can't Dodge source better material to build their truck out of. Don't think I am going to spend $40,000 dollars on one of your new trucks, just to have the dash crack up in a few years. Dodge should replace these! You know I always worried about this and kept my dashed armor-oiled.... But yeah it still Sapped, Crackeld and Poped

- , Eastover, SC, USA

Jun 132007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I thing Dodge needs to recall, and fix the problem.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 192006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

the dash pad in the 2002 ram is a cheaply made, probably chinese piece of sh*t. my truck had only 28000 miles on it when it started to crack. i always liked dodge trucks, ive owned 5 of them. the new f150 looks pretty tempting about now. if i can unload my piece of sh*t ram. it only has 48000 miles on it now. anyone interested? mayby i could get 4500$ for the cash for clunkers program.

- , Charleroi, PA, USA

Jan 102004

Ram 1500 SLT 360

here is another dash complaint........my dash looks extremly bad.mine cracked in the winter . even guarage kept...now have around 5 cracks in my dash.goes right threw me when i hit a bump and the whole dash radels.and it just keeps getting worse..

- , Ft Worth, TX, USA

Jul 302009

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I love my Dodge Ram 1500. Runs great! but I don't like it that every time I want to fix something, I am told it is unavailable or discontinued. Why is that? Why doesn't Dodge or Chrysler have spare parts for all makes and models. I can go on line and order a part for a 1972 Charger but can't for a 2002 Ram. I inquired, a year ago, about replacing the overhead sunglass compartment. The tab in which one depresses to open the compartment broke off, thus causing me aggravation since I am very particular about my truck. I was told then, I would have to replace the entire compartment. I opted to research someone on line and found one; however, it was the wrong size. I returned it to him and asked for the correct size and never heard from him so what did I do, glued the tab back together and I do not use the compartment. Frustrated I guess.

- , Eastampton, NJ, USA

Dec 202006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

wow! I guess I'm not alone, my truck was only 4 years old ,always put a dash cover when parked, then I notice a 2 inch crack on right side of dash, in a matter of months this crack spread to like 4 large cracks, with a large chunk almost ready to fall in, the dealership won,t admit its a defect. I always thought since i bought the truck new from cerritos dodge in cerritos ca. that the dash was designed super cheap,and as for this dealership,5star,my ass,they totally suck! If dodge won't create a recall soon, I won't ever buy a dodge or chrysler vehicle again, that new toyota tundra looks better every day.

- , Pico Rivera, CA, USA

Jul 212008

Ram 1500 V8 Magnum 4.7L V8

I love my Dodge. Take total pride in it over Ford, Chevy, Nissan, and everyone else. The only model truck that has ever looked good to me was an 02' Dodge Ram 1500. My reason for this is that all the models before and even the newer ones just don't have that same body style. The grills are either too boxy or slanted forward, the logo is in the center of the tail gate, and I could just go on for minutes on end about why I like my truck... Every Thursday, I detail my truck, and go night cruising on Friday and Saturday nights... Well, when I first bought the truck, I bought it from a mechanic that worked at the Dodge dealership, and he had taken complete care of it, and it only had 95,000 miles on it, which wasn't bad considering it was my first vehicle... I noticed a few cracks in the dash, but they were only hairline fractures, so I sucked it up and dealt with it for the time being... I went and bought not one, but two UV window guards, and double stacked them (knowing I wouldn't get a much better result) and left them in the window blocking all sunlight from hitting the dash... I would sit for minutes trying to make sure I had it covered perfect... Using them so much is why my visor is failing now from putting it down and up so much, now it just wants to stay down... I would even park facing West at night cause in the morning, the sun would rise in the East, and I wouldn't be up in time to turn it around... As of today, August 11, 2009, the dash has cracked all the way from the front left driver's side, right the the point above the gauges where the dash ends above the steering wheel... I don't want to sit here and have to fork out $1200 just to replace it with another dash that is going to end up with the same fate... I personally think that Dodge should have done a recall a LONG time ago and replaced them with ZERO service charge, cause customers don't sit here and pay their thousands upon thousands of hard earned cash for a vehicle with a dash that isn't going to last more than a few years... Yes, I could picture cracked dashes on vehicles that are in junk yards that aren't taken care of period and just rot in the sun and rain... But on vehicles owned by proud owners of a Dodge, that love their vehicle with a passion and take complete care of it, no... The government should force some kind of recall to be made...

- , Grenada, MS, USA

Sep 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Another another Dodge Ram dash to the cash for clunkers pile. Does anybody know of a reasonable fix? Why would I want to pay $1200 to put another piece of crap Dodge part on there.

- , Stoned, CA, USA

Aug 032009

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Everyone is bitching about it but where can I find a cheap fix for this piece of SH*T dash!!!

- , Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Jul 102008

Ram 1500 V6

Man i noticed a slight crack in my dash about a year ago and never really thought too terribly much of it then earlier this year my one crack turned into 5 different cracks across my dash!! 2 cracks are starting to form together so i have an awful feeling a huge chunk of my dash is gonna fall out. This is such bs cuz since dodge was such a reputible company i never expected to see such poor quality like that. I would say dodge should definatly replace them since its their fault for making it so cheaply...but we all know where dodge is headed right now so i'm not gonna hold my breath. Its just a really big disappoitment that they manufactured their vehicle like that. I'll never own another dodge after this...

- , Glendale, AZ, USA