CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 20 of 25)

Nov 152004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I used to like Dodge trucks until my Dash cracked. I'll drive this truck until the floorboards rot then buy a Ford. Dodge lost another customer.

- , Cape Coral, Fl, USA

Nov 012006

Ram 1500

I now have 4 cracks in my dash. Dodge should replace it at no charge to me. My brother in law has a 2002 Dodge 2500 and has the same problem. Piece of junk. Last Dodge for us.

Our 2001 Ford Expedition still looks new. Show's who make the better ride.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jan 202005

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I have gotten so disgusted with the fact that Dodge doesn't want to take any responsibility towards correcting this issue. Was it just a batch of bad plastic that affected the dash boards in hundreds or thousands of trucks(my truck is a Ram 1500 quad cab 4 door)? Were the casting molds dimensions for the plastic dash or the area the plastic dash mounts to out of tolerance allowing time and stress to cause the plastic to prematurely fail. I think it was a batch of bad plastic or possibly no, or inadequate UV protection in the windshield for the design. Probably bad plastic or problems during the molding process with the dash manufacturer and Dodge should go after the dash manufacturer to have the dash replaced.

Major impact on the physical appearance of an otherwise good looking truck. Impacts resell value by as much as a fender bender, wreck with a less than perfect repair, or bad paint job or dents and dings. Affects owner's pride in ownership.

Impacts present owners and future buyers from the perspective that Dodge does not place significant value on problems created by them or their component manufacturer's.

I thought first crack would relieve the stress on the dash and stop growing. I was wrong.

Took by local dealer. Local dealer, service manager admitted Dodge had experienced problems with dash cracking in some trucks. Did not offer to contact Dodge area service rep. I figured from his comments that Dodge had already blown off any impact this would have with customer happiness and was not going to act on this problem on a recall or per customer basis.

Did I mention that I have a 1995 F150 and a 1992 F250 and that the plastic dash on neither of those trucks are cracked or cracking.

More later several more cracks have appeared over the last few years and have grown from the windshield to the face of the dashboard. with no sign of the crack arresting its spread.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA

Aug 182005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

When I bought my truck I never would have thought that my dash would be looking like this after only a few years. This is very upsetting. These trucks are very expensive to have such poor quality on the dash. I would like to have my dash fixed. If I got it fixed I would be a happy man. Other than this dash cracked all to pieces I love the truck. I have no other complaints. I may even buy another dodge truck some day.

- , Moutainburg, AR, USA

Nov 112003

Ram 1500 V9L5 4.2L

This was a brand new truck bought right off the showroom floor with under 200 miles when purchased...I am pissed off about the whole situation because I have had several service managers tell me that Dodge should have replaced the dash...and yet to this day I still have over 5 very large cracks which takes away from the appearance of the truck and I believe could in fact be a danger to me and my passengers if I were ever in a crash. It should have been recalled when the first problems showed up and Dodge

should have acknowledged that there was in fact a problem...instead they try a sell you a replacement part that will only cost you additional ...also the paint on the right front fender and the hood was redone in 2004 at a Dodge dealer in Marion Illinois' now I have several spots on the fender and hood with a large chip that is missing on the fender the size of a silver dollar that has come loose and shows the primer . So what can you do when you do all the right things and Dodge won't make their mistakes right?

- , Marshall, IL, USA

Mar 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash started cracking near the windshield during the spring. Now the main dash is cracking. I found this web site by accident looking for a replacement dash. I was shocked to see how many people with the same problem! Not only the 2002, but all others as well. After seeing all these complaints, I printed them out ant went to the Dealership where I bought my truck. They looked at it and said they would fix it at my expense for $1,288.00 I told them it was clearly a defect and should be recalled. They said it wasn't a safety issue and they would not fix it.It's no wonder why people are buying foreign made auto's. Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and fix these issues!

I am going to contact Better Business Bureau, I will be seeking legal advice. I have bought my last Dodge / Chrysler vehicle.

- , Williamston, SC, USA

Sep 032008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Listen up Dodge. I have worked hard for what I have and this is not the result I would prefer from the product in which that hard earned money went to. What the heck!

My dash started to crack dead center from the windshield (which was appr. 6" long). Then a few months later, the passenger side started to crack directly above the vent which covers the speaker. It is now sticking straight-up in the air. (LOOKS HORRIFIC).

Do the right thing and stand behind your product.

This is now the second time I have had problems with Dodge vehicles. (1999 Durango) I won't even go there!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012005

Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L V8

The dashboard in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 started cracking after just 3 years. I checked with a dealership and they said that it was not covered under warranty and that it would cost approx $1400 to replace. This is stupid, especially after reading about how many Dodge vehicles this is happening to. I have ALWAYS bought American and would like to continue but with the cost of vehicles and the way the economy is going I might not be able to afford it. Dodge should step up and do the right thing if they want to keep their loyal customers!!!!!! Does anyone know if Dodge has done anything to address this problem?

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 072008

Ram 1500 ES 4.7L

Part of dash closest to the windshield totally destroyed. dash closer to the wheel three giant cracks. This was my sixth dodge and my last.

- , Marion, NC, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Wow, I never knew so many others were having the same problem. I agree Dodge should do something, but it will never be a recall until it becomes a safety issue. With the present economic conditions, I doubt Dodge will ever fix it - they might not be around much longer anyway. I've had my eye on the Tundra...

- , Allen, TX, USA

Aug 272005

Ram 1500

Dash is falling apart. Cracks everywhere. Dodge should pay for this. Will not buy another one. Someone needs to get a class-action law suite together.

- , Crestview, FL, USA

Jan 182008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash on my 2002 ram 1500 got a small crack in it. This crack continues to grow, and is now 18 inches long. Also while I was cleaning the interior and wiping the dash with a rag one of the defrost vents just fell apart and is now just a big whole. I think Dodge should offer a free fix to this, sense it seems to be such a wide spread problem.

They will lose a lot of customers if they do not

- , Martindale, TX, USA

Sep 162008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I hope you guys send this message to dodge to recall this issue ..I start noticing a little crack on dashboard

But now is all across through the center of dashboard it really look bad

I do own another dodge van that I have for many years and never have this kind of problems..

I still believe dodge are the best cars for me.. If they don't fix the problem I still going to fix it But I think is Just not Right for us to pay for a cheap dashboard that they put on it.

I�m afraid to pay for a new dashboard that is going to be cheap plastic as this one.

- , Panorama City, CA, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 Thunder Road 5.9L

I take great care of my truck and now I have to ride and LOOK AT THIS CRAP

- , Stevensville, MD, USA

Mar 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

So i get these cracks going from front to back on my Ram. I took it in to my local dealer.(south point dodge) They told me that they would take care of it for a $500 deductible to which I said no.I than called Chrysler and informed them of what had happened and what I thought of their product. They called the dealer to confirm the problem and told me that the best they could do for me was to have me pay the same $500 deductible. I had accomplished absolutely nothing by calling them. I then told them that I had owned a 1996,1998,2001 and two 2002 Dodge pickups over the years and that I had totally lost my confidence in their product. Their answer, (well your out of the warr. period and we really don't have to assist you at all.) I assured them that as long as I live, I will never again own another Dodge,Chrysler,Plymouth or anything remotely Mopar for as long as I live and that I would spread the word like a wildfire on the driest year in California.

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I am very disappointed in this problem that Dodge apparently is not correcting. I am very happy with my truck and I was planning on keeping it for several more years but if the dash completely deteriorates, what use is the truck? I have taken exceptional care of this vehicle and now I am discovering that I would have to spend an additional $1500 to fix a MANUFACTURING DEFECT. Dodge, in these tough economic times, stuff like this is going to hurt you badly. You need your loyal base of customers and if this problem is not corrected, you are going to lose it, including this loyal customer, all because of cheap plastic on dash boards.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 022008

Ram 1500 1500 V8

I'VE SEEN COMPLAINTS OF 2001 DODGE RAMS REGARDING THE DASHBOARD CRACKING BUT I OWN A 2002 DODGE RAM AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. IT STARTED AS ONE SMALL CRACK MEASURING AT ABOUT 2 INCHES. WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT TURNED TO 5 BIG CRACKS. IM HOPING THAT DODGE DOES A RECALL BEFORE MY DASHBOARD COLLAPSES LIKE I'VE SEEN OTHER PEOPLE COMPLAINT ABOUT. I BELIEVE IT'S UNFAIR I AS WELL AS OTHERS IM SURE TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF OUR VEHICLES. MAKING SURE TO PARK FAR FROM OTHER VEHICLES TO AVOID SCRATCHES AND DENTS. WHEN ALL ALONG THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE INSIDE.

- , Mission, TX, USA

Feb 122005

Ram 1500 Quadcab V8

I cannot believe I am seeing all these complaints without any fix in site from the dodge company. I guess they plan on waiting to own up to this huge problem when EVERYONE starts buying Chevy and Ford trucks, huh? This really SUCKS, Dodge SUCKS for not fixing this problem!

- , Leander, TX, USA

Aug 282008

Ram 1500 SLT QC 4x4 4.7L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I last posted on #80 - I found this today and it looks like the dash exploded. I'm so upset I may never buy other Dodge; ever!

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 212008

Ram 1500 5.9L

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

The first dodge product that I have bought and with quality issues like this dash problem that dodge refuses to repair the defects. this should have been recalled!!! I will continue to show everyone that I know or even here of thinking about buying a dodge product..I have already discouraged three fellow co-workers not to buy a dodge.. two bought fords and one a Chevy...

- , Jefferson City, MO, USA