CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (95 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 20 of 25)

Aug 212008

Ram 1500 St.Ram1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

This really pissed me off when it was cracking on the far left of the dashboard.then it went all over,now its near the windshield,the defrosters are wide open a lot of stuff will fall in side,now its starting to crack on the front on the dashboard.I think dodge should fix the problem for everybody that had the same issue,with there dashboard.

- , Whittier, CA, USA

Aug 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 1500 4.7L

My truck is great, Ive spent a lot of time and Money on my truck but in 2006 six after two years of having it, my dash started to crack in different places from the front to back, it looks so nasty I got a cover and it still shows. Dodge needs to fix the problem.

- , Walnut, CA, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8 Magnum

i love my truck like alot of other people i have seen on here i am really pissed about this i pay my hard earn money to pay for a vehicle to advertise to people my dodge and they won't even fix a problem like the dash. I have always been a Chevy fan and now i like dodge but if the don't fix my dash i won't buy another dodge ever. hey dodge people Obama gives you money so you can sell more vehicles and keep your head above water won't you get your head out of your @#$ and fix all the @#$ dashs that people are complaining about.

- , Raven, VA, USA

May 202008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

first crack appeared about a year and a half ago. i heard a loud crack while driving down the interstate and after i stopped i noticed a crack in the dash on the right hand side. since then i have had four more cracks develop and the top dash pad is lifting up. i take good care of my vehicles and even use window shades when not in use. this should not be happening. i have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe with 240,000 on it and it doesn't have one crack in the dash. dodge should step up to the plate and fix this issue. dodge is doing a lot of advertising about how good their vehicles are but unresolved issues like this do not back up their claim. unless dodge makes this right, my next vehicle will not be a dodge.

- , Murfreesboro, TN, USA

Jan 012006

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

WOW! I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS CRAPP! MY DASH IS SHOT. TWO HUGE CRACKS; ONE IN THE MIDDLE FROM THE WINDSHIELD TO THE VENT AND THEN SOME, THE OTHER ON THE PASSENGER SIDE STARTING FROM THE TRAY AND PROCEEDING ALMOST TO THE GLOVE BOX. I'M LOOKING FOR IT TO JUST COMPLETELY FALL APART ANY DAY NOW. I HAVEN'T CONTACTED DODGE YET, BUT I FEEL CERTAIN JUDGING FROM THE REST OF THE COMPLAINTS, THEY'LL DO NOTHING. I ALSO OWN A '97 FORD AND IT HAS NONE OF THESE ISSUES. IF DODGE DOESN'T COME AROUND, MY NEXT FULL SIZE TRUCK WON'T BE A DODGE!

- , North Augusta, SC, USA

Jul 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Well, as I can see from all these complaints I'm not alone on this one!...I too take excellent care of my truck and this is the kind of thing that just pisses me off to no end. You spend a stack of cash on a vehicle and treat it right and this is how you get repaid by Dodge...cracked dash, defective rack and pinion steering, bad HVAC controls, bad parking brake, bad wiring harness, bad transmission/diff., bad paint, and on, and on, and on....never again...Hello Toyota Tundra...ADIOS DODGE!!!...

- , Anderson, SC, USA

Dec 252008

Ram 1500 LX 5.9L

I got in my truck this morning and noticed a crack in the dash on the right side in front of the passenger seat. It goes front the front of the dash straight back to the middle. I couldn't believe it, then once I started looking closer there was 2 more cracks in the middle up by the windshield. My truck only has just over 31,000 miles and still looks new. I'm the only owner so I know it has always been taken care of. How could the dash just crack like this for no reason? Dodge needs to do something about this! This is now the only defect on my truck and it's driving me crazy. I had no idea this was a common issue until I seen this site when I was looking online to find a replacement and to see how much this was going to cost me. Has anyone found a good fix for this? Also, has anyone had there's replaced, if so, how much can I expect to pay?

- , Glen Allen, VA, USA

Dec 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Me and my office were going to lunch the other day and I noticed a big crack on the top of the dash in front of the front passenger seat. My truck is my baby and I hate seeing defects in it, especially one that apparently keeps appearing.

- , Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Sep 112008

Ram 1500 V8

I was on the internet tonight looking for used dashboards to replace mine myself, but then i found this site listing familiar sounding complaints, now im discouraged...My story is the same as everyone else s, i had no idea, it all started with a small crack in the center area closest to where the windshield meets the dash and a week later my dash has several bigger cracks from one end to the other...I'm not interested in ever owning another Chrysler product if i'm stuck with the costs...I can barely afford anything these days and i don't have even $500.00 lying around to put towards a new dash that will probably end up the in the same condition...i'm also interested in a class-action if anyone is monitoring these posts...please get in contact with me...spread the word, dodge needs to address this problem...

- , China Spring, TX, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

Dodge should of recall the bad patch of plastic on the Dash Board, I've nothing but cracks and it started with a small crack and now the hole dash board is crack... Dodge should replace them for free

- , Chandler, AZ, Afghanistan

Nov 172005

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Huge cracks in my dash board. Also my brakes locked up on me and the transmission is slipping at 100,500 Miles

- , Mooresville, NC, USA

Nov 152008

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Bought the truck out of the lot on Nov. of 2001 thinking wow I got myself a new 'great' truck. Then years later I notice cracks, I never noticed the cracks until one day I saw my dashboard had about 8 cracks!! what the hell!! I think dodge should really do something.

- , Bakersfield, CA, USA

Nov 152004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I used to like Dodge trucks until my Dash cracked. I'll drive this truck until the floorboards rot then buy a Ford. Dodge lost another customer.

- , Cape Coral, Fl, USA

Nov 012006

Ram 1500

I now have 4 cracks in my dash. Dodge should replace it at no charge to me. My brother in law has a 2002 Dodge 2500 and has the same problem. Piece of junk. Last Dodge for us.

Our 2001 Ford Expedition still looks new. Show's who make the better ride.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA

Jan 202005

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

I have gotten so disgusted with the fact that Dodge doesn't want to take any responsibility towards correcting this issue. Was it just a batch of bad plastic that affected the dash boards in hundreds or thousands of trucks(my truck is a Ram 1500 quad cab 4 door)? Were the casting molds dimensions for the plastic dash or the area the plastic dash mounts to out of tolerance allowing time and stress to cause the plastic to prematurely fail. I think it was a batch of bad plastic or possibly no, or inadequate UV protection in the windshield for the design. Probably bad plastic or problems during the molding process with the dash manufacturer and Dodge should go after the dash manufacturer to have the dash replaced.

Major impact on the physical appearance of an otherwise good looking truck. Impacts resell value by as much as a fender bender, wreck with a less than perfect repair, or bad paint job or dents and dings. Affects owner's pride in ownership.

Impacts present owners and future buyers from the perspective that Dodge does not place significant value on problems created by them or their component manufacturer's.

I thought first crack would relieve the stress on the dash and stop growing. I was wrong.

Took by local dealer. Local dealer, service manager admitted Dodge had experienced problems with dash cracking in some trucks. Did not offer to contact Dodge area service rep. I figured from his comments that Dodge had already blown off any impact this would have with customer happiness and was not going to act on this problem on a recall or per customer basis.

Did I mention that I have a 1995 F150 and a 1992 F250 and that the plastic dash on neither of those trucks are cracked or cracking.

More later several more cracks have appeared over the last few years and have grown from the windshield to the face of the dashboard. with no sign of the crack arresting its spread.

- , Vicksburg, MS, USA

Aug 182005

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

When I bought my truck I never would have thought that my dash would be looking like this after only a few years. This is very upsetting. These trucks are very expensive to have such poor quality on the dash. I would like to have my dash fixed. If I got it fixed I would be a happy man. Other than this dash cracked all to pieces I love the truck. I have no other complaints. I may even buy another dodge truck some day.

- , Moutainburg, AR, USA

Nov 112003

Ram 1500 V9L5 4.2L

This was a brand new truck bought right off the showroom floor with under 200 miles when purchased...I am pissed off about the whole situation because I have had several service managers tell me that Dodge should have replaced the dash...and yet to this day I still have over 5 very large cracks which takes away from the appearance of the truck and I believe could in fact be a danger to me and my passengers if I were ever in a crash. It should have been recalled when the first problems showed up and Dodge

should have acknowledged that there was in fact a problem...instead they try a sell you a replacement part that will only cost you additional ...also the paint on the right front fender and the hood was redone in 2004 at a Dodge dealer in Marion Illinois' now I have several spots on the fender and hood with a large chip that is missing on the fender the size of a silver dollar that has come loose and shows the primer . So what can you do when you do all the right things and Dodge won't make their mistakes right?

- , Marshall, IL, USA

Mar 082008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash started cracking near the windshield during the spring. Now the main dash is cracking. I found this web site by accident looking for a replacement dash. I was shocked to see how many people with the same problem! Not only the 2002, but all others as well. After seeing all these complaints, I printed them out ant went to the Dealership where I bought my truck. They looked at it and said they would fix it at my expense for $1,288.00 I told them it was clearly a defect and should be recalled. They said it wasn't a safety issue and they would not fix it.It's no wonder why people are buying foreign made auto's. Chrysler needs to step up to the plate and fix these issues!

I am going to contact Better Business Bureau, I will be seeking legal advice. I have bought my last Dodge / Chrysler vehicle.

- , Williamston, SC, USA

Sep 032008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Listen up Dodge. I have worked hard for what I have and this is not the result I would prefer from the product in which that hard earned money went to. What the heck!

My dash started to crack dead center from the windshield (which was appr. 6" long). Then a few months later, the passenger side started to crack directly above the vent which covers the speaker. It is now sticking straight-up in the air. (LOOKS HORRIFIC).

Do the right thing and stand behind your product.

This is now the second time I have had problems with Dodge vehicles. (1999 Durango) I won't even go there!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012005

Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L V8

The dashboard in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 started cracking after just 3 years. I checked with a dealership and they said that it was not covered under warranty and that it would cost approx $1400 to replace. This is stupid, especially after reading about how many Dodge vehicles this is happening to. I have ALWAYS bought American and would like to continue but with the cost of vehicles and the way the economy is going I might not be able to afford it. Dodge should step up and do the right thing if they want to keep their loyal customers!!!!!! Does anyone know if Dodge has done anything to address this problem?

- , Chesapeake, VA, US