CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 21 of 25)

Apr 282008

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

The dash on my 2002 ram 1500 got a small crack in it. This crack continues to grow, and is now 18 inches long. Also while I was cleaning the interior and wiping the dash with a rag one of the defrost vents just fell apart and is now just a big whole. I think Dodge should offer a free fix to this, sense it seems to be such a wide spread problem.

They will lose a lot of customers if they do not. [ Including me ]

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 302008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Huge crack from window, through vent and to edge of dash. Looks so bad. My 99 dodge Durango's dash held up better than this and that truck sat in the sun all day everyday.

- , Eustis, FL, USA

Jul 182008

Ram 1500 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9L

I HAVE A 2002 DODGE 1500 QUAD CAB 4X4 WITH A 5.9L. THIS TRUCK IS A SHOW TRUCK THAT IS LIFTED 12 INCHES WITH AWESOME TIRES AND RIMS.BUT NOW ITS A PIECE OF SH*T WITH THE DASH ALL CRACKED TO HELL.I GOT IN MY TRUCK AFTER WORK ONE DAY AND THERE WAS 6 CRACKS ALL OVER THE DASH AND EVEN UP BY THE GRAB HANDLES.I CANT BELIEVE DODGE WONT BACK THIS.I WILL STILL PUT THIS IN SHOWS ALONG WITH A SIGN TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND HOW DODGE WONT FIX IT AND TO BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE THAN DODGE.I HAVE INVESTED ABOUT $15.000 IN EXTRAS ON THIS TRUCK FOR THIS .YOU SUCK DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Laurel, DE, USA

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 Quad 4.7L

Ready to join class action suit if enough out there to sign up! I bought this truck for my husband for his 40th birthday! He fell in love with the style, and I wanted to surprise him. The dash is defective! enough same complaints warrants a recall!

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Aug 192008

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

WENT TO A DODGE DEALER FOR REPAIR AND WAS ADVISED IT WAS NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY. I ALSO PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH THE VEHICLE WHICH PROVIDED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY PERIOD OF 7 YRS OR 75,000 MILE.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM LET ME TELL YOU!

ONE LARGE CRACK FROM FRONT WINDSHIELD TO FRONT OF DASH ALONG WITH A NUMBER OF SMALL CRACKS. THEY SAID IT WOULD BE 1100.00 TO FIX. WHY SHOULD I DO THAT THE PRODUCT IS DEFECTIVE......

THEY SAID TO BAD SO SAD. DODGE DOESN'T CARE. AFTER SEVERAL DEALERS SAME STORY.

- , la Mirada, CA, USA

Mar 112004

Ram 1500 SLT 3.7L V6

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

At first I though i was one of the only ones experiencing this problem. Then I came across a thread on DodgeTalk.com (The #1 Dodge Community), and saw that there's maybe thousands! I called Dodge, spoke to an overseas customer rep, GOT NO WHERE! Some have been lucky enough to get Dodge to fix there's, but I'm not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my truck; Ive had it for 7 years so far! I just dont like the poor quality of the interior panels. Dodge could have done BETTER!

Dodge HAS TO FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Oct 252007

Ram 1500 SLT QC 4x4 4.7L V8

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

Dodge won�t help so I went to the dealership. The dealership tells me my truck isn�t covered and it�ll cost me about $1400 bucks.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jul 242002

Ram 1500 Quad 2wdr 4.7L V8

At first it was a tiny hair line crack.

Called dodge, a total waist of time. Not under warranty.

Over time more & more Cracks show up.

I even started using sun screen in the windshield when parking out side in the sun light.

As of today 08-12-2008, there are over 12 cracks, in both sections. Dealer, and national hot line of no help. A long wait kist for replacement. To the tune of $1600. for both sections. There are no aftermarket parts made, only stick on "cover-ups".

I'll never buy another dodge.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Mar 312008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

I see alot of Dodge owners are having to deal with the cracks in the dash. Well it did indeed happen to me and it sucks. I have several cracks and one big Grand Canyon going all the way from front to back of my dash. People have always compliment me on how will I kept up with my truck and now I have this. I cannot believe this is happening to so many people and Dodge has not done anything to fix it. I have seen pictures of chunks of this cheap plastic coming off trucks. I though I would get a dash cover but what happens when chunks of mine fall out. What is going to keep the dash cover up? I think every time a piece comes off I am going to drive out to the dealership and dump it in the lobby. I hate to say it but this is my last Dodge vehicle. If they can't admit the screwed up with cheap plastic than see ya. I have my Duck Tape on stand by ready to use.

- , Rosenberg, TX, USA

Feb 142008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I LOVE my truck, and it is my 4th Dodge, all purchased new. Unfortunately, this is the first one I've kept after paying it off. Now, I have recently had three cracks appear in my dashboard. After reading about complaints other people have had regarding their own dodge dashboards, I am convinced that it is a defective part and Dodge should stand up for this issue. There is no room for this problem, as it is potentially dangerous and may affect the function of the air bags. My local dealer tells me it will cost me around $1,000 for a new dashboard, but before that happens, I will do my own repairs. HELP!!!

- , Lake Worth, FL, USA

Jul 232008

Ram 1500 LS 4.7L

This is my first Dodge Truck; and those cracks on the dashboard along with control pads is pain in the butt to see them (control pads I am talking about where you rest your arm there is a pad with you use to control the power windows and power locks as well the power mirrors), en general I truly believe there is a lot to improve in the interior.

- , Palm Desert, CA, USA

Mar 142007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

My dash cracked all to hell. Just got in my truck one day and there was these giant cracks all the way across my dash, and naturally Dodge said this was not a defect. I just bought a new dashboard cover to hide the cracks,but now the vents are breaking off. This just pisses me off that Dodge won't step up to the plate and recall this problem.

- , Lakehills, TX, USA

Dec 042006

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Dashboard has totally fallen apart. The right thing for dodge to do is replace the dash. Its a well documented issue now. The rest of the truck is fine, typical maintenance issues but the dashboard is really a bad deal and unfair that a truck that is 4 years old has a dashboard that essentially exploded.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Sep 162004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I know that Chrysler knows about this problem since 1999, just do a Google search on 1999 Dodge Crack Dashboard, you'll find that you're not alone. I don't think mileage on your truck should be an issue. The issue is a Cracked Dashboard that should be replaced by Chrysler, especially if it's a recall. Any one who rides in my Dodge truck, I always should them the cracks in the Dash and ask them do you really want to buy Dodge.

The product speaks for itself! It's obvious that the dash is a brittle piece of plastic that gets heat stress cracks during those hot days from expansion and contraction! Brittle plastic does not expand and contract, it cracks! C'mon Chrysler, step up to the plate, be honorable for once!

My stepson owns a 2005 Ford Focus and the Dash is made of some firm rubber that shows no signs of cracking and he�s never taken care of it.

You can clean your Dodge Truck Dash and put all kinds of protectants on your Dash, it's going to crack. It's Cheap Plastic! Can anyone tell me if they recalled it yet? Probably not! This is the last Dodge I will ever buy, I hate manufacturers that don't stand by their products.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 042007

Ram 1500 V8

I think Dodge should replace the dash. I'm seeing more cracks happening,and it's crappy to have such a nice looking truck with an ugly dash.

- , Clermont, FL, USA

Jun 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Crack started small and now has run up the dash right infont of the steering wheel. With a second crack starting a the left air intake. I have always kept a windshield shade on the dash and the windows cracked. Dodge should step up and cover the cost of this vehicle. I am in the market for a new vehicle. We are looking to buy a new van to replace the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan looks like we will look at Toyota or Honda since Chrysler isn't stepping up top the plate on quality.

- , Jonesboro, AR, USA

Feb 282004

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Dodge should have fixed this under warranty, It's been document on dealer service repair gripes, never addressed

- , Wellington, FL, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 SLT REG CAB 5.9L V8 4x4

I now have 2 long vertical cracks in the dashboard of my 2002 dodge I bought in October 2001 and the vehicle has been either garaged or parked under a carport the entire life of the vehicle. the dashboard material plastic composite is not thick enough to endure the sunlight uv rays and becomes brittle which results in easy cracking from exposure. I paid 29,950.00 for this vehicle brand new and not satisfied in numerous defects including the cheap drink cup holder and ashtray fold down design that latches where out in 50,000 miles interior light lenses fall out while driving and the automatic transmission slipping which i have had rebuilt at 78,000 miles

- , Holladay, TN, USA

Jun 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

on june 10,2008, i got into my truck to take fellow workers to lunch only to see that my dash had a crack that ran from the windshield completely across the front piece. i work for an engineering firm which we take clients to lunch from time to time in our own vehicles and this is not something you want to have clients who are thinking about giving you projects that are worth millions to see. we pay alot of money for theses vehicles and should not have to worry about something cosmetic such as this going wrong with them. now to only learn that this is going to get worse, and there doesn't seem to be a manufacture fix or responsibility to this problem. i firmly believe that with as many cases there seems to be with this, that Chrysler would step up and figure out a solution to our problem. i also own a 97' dodge ram 1500, and i don't have a problem with its dash cracking, so it appears that they have changed the material being used today and may need to reconsider using a better one. however, i do love my dodge truck, and its reliability, just not the problem of having a dash that is going to continue to crack up.

- , Lowell, AR, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

CAME ACROSS THIS WEB SITE. I THOUGHT I WAS PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE 3 LARGE CRACKS IN MY DASH. IT REALLY HAS ME WORRIED THAT IT MAY CAUSE A MALFUNCTION WITH THE AIR BAGS OR SOMETHING. DODGE I HOPE YOU SEE THIS WEBSITE AND ADMIT YOUR ERROR AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS. I THINK THEIR SHOULD BE A RECALL.

- , Irving, TX, USA