CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (274 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (96 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (3 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 21 of 25)

Sep 032008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Listen up Dodge. I have worked hard for what I have and this is not the result I would prefer from the product in which that hard earned money went to. What the heck!

My dash started to crack dead center from the windshield (which was appr. 6" long). Then a few months later, the passenger side started to crack directly above the vent which covers the speaker. It is now sticking straight-up in the air. (LOOKS HORRIFIC).

Do the right thing and stand behind your product.

This is now the second time I have had problems with Dodge vehicles. (1999 Durango) I won't even go there!

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Oct 012005

Ram 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 4.7L V8

The dashboard in my 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 started cracking after just 3 years. I checked with a dealership and they said that it was not covered under warranty and that it would cost approx $1400 to replace. This is stupid, especially after reading about how many Dodge vehicles this is happening to. I have ALWAYS bought American and would like to continue but with the cost of vehicles and the way the economy is going I might not be able to afford it. Dodge should step up and do the right thing if they want to keep their loyal customers!!!!!! Does anyone know if Dodge has done anything to address this problem?

- , Chesapeake, VA, US

Apr 072008

Ram 1500 ES 4.7L

Part of dash closest to the windshield totally destroyed. dash closer to the wheel three giant cracks. This was my sixth dodge and my last.

- , Marion, NC, USA

Feb 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Wow, I never knew so many others were having the same problem. I agree Dodge should do something, but it will never be a recall until it becomes a safety issue. With the present economic conditions, I doubt Dodge will ever fix it - they might not be around much longer anyway. I've had my eye on the Tundra...

- , Allen, TX, USA

Aug 272005

Ram 1500

Dash is falling apart. Cracks everywhere. Dodge should pay for this. Will not buy another one. Someone needs to get a class-action law suite together.

- , Crestview, FL, USA

Jan 182008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

The dash on my 2002 ram 1500 got a small crack in it. This crack continues to grow, and is now 18 inches long. Also while I was cleaning the interior and wiping the dash with a rag one of the defrost vents just fell apart and is now just a big whole. I think Dodge should offer a free fix to this, sense it seems to be such a wide spread problem.

They will lose a lot of customers if they do not

- , Martindale, TX, USA

Sep 162008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I hope you guys send this message to dodge to recall this issue ..I start noticing a little crack on dashboard

But now is all across through the center of dashboard it really look bad

I do own another dodge van that I have for many years and never have this kind of problems..

I still believe dodge are the best cars for me.. If they don't fix the problem I still going to fix it But I think is Just not Right for us to pay for a cheap dashboard that they put on it.

I�m afraid to pay for a new dashboard that is going to be cheap plastic as this one.

- , Panorama City, CA, USA

Jun 012006

Ram 1500 Thunder Road 5.9L

I take great care of my truck and now I have to ride and LOOK AT THIS CRAP

- , Stevensville, MD, USA

Mar 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

So i get these cracks going from front to back on my Ram. I took it in to my local dealer.(south point dodge) They told me that they would take care of it for a $500 deductible to which I said no.I than called Chrysler and informed them of what had happened and what I thought of their product. They called the dealer to confirm the problem and told me that the best they could do for me was to have me pay the same $500 deductible. I had accomplished absolutely nothing by calling them. I then told them that I had owned a 1996,1998,2001 and two 2002 Dodge pickups over the years and that I had totally lost my confidence in their product. Their answer, (well your out of the warr. period and we really don't have to assist you at all.) I assured them that as long as I live, I will never again own another Dodge,Chrysler,Plymouth or anything remotely Mopar for as long as I live and that I would spread the word like a wildfire on the driest year in California.

- , Austin, TX, USA

May 172006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I am very disappointed in this problem that Dodge apparently is not correcting. I am very happy with my truck and I was planning on keeping it for several more years but if the dash completely deteriorates, what use is the truck? I have taken exceptional care of this vehicle and now I am discovering that I would have to spend an additional $1500 to fix a MANUFACTURING DEFECT. Dodge, in these tough economic times, stuff like this is going to hurt you badly. You need your loyal base of customers and if this problem is not corrected, you are going to lose it, including this loyal customer, all because of cheap plastic on dash boards.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Feb 022008

Ram 1500 1500 V8

I'VE SEEN COMPLAINTS OF 2001 DODGE RAMS REGARDING THE DASHBOARD CRACKING BUT I OWN A 2002 DODGE RAM AND I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM. IT STARTED AS ONE SMALL CRACK MEASURING AT ABOUT 2 INCHES. WHEN ALL OF A SUDDEN IT TURNED TO 5 BIG CRACKS. IM HOPING THAT DODGE DOES A RECALL BEFORE MY DASHBOARD COLLAPSES LIKE I'VE SEEN OTHER PEOPLE COMPLAINT ABOUT. I BELIEVE IT'S UNFAIR I AS WELL AS OTHERS IM SURE TAKE VERY GOOD CARE OF OUR VEHICLES. MAKING SURE TO PARK FAR FROM OTHER VEHICLES TO AVOID SCRATCHES AND DENTS. WHEN ALL ALONG THE PROBLEM SEEMS TO BE INSIDE.

- , Mission, TX, USA

Feb 122005

Ram 1500 Quadcab V8

I cannot believe I am seeing all these complaints without any fix in site from the dodge company. I guess they plan on waiting to own up to this huge problem when EVERYONE starts buying Chevy and Ford trucks, huh? This really SUCKS, Dodge SUCKS for not fixing this problem!

- , Leander, TX, US

Aug 282008

Ram 1500 SLT QC 4x4 4.7L V8

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

I last posted on #80 - I found this today and it looks like the dash exploded. I'm so upset I may never buy other Dodge; ever!

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 212008

Ram 1500 5.9L

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

The first dodge product that I have bought and with quality issues like this dash problem that dodge refuses to repair the defects. this should have been recalled!!! I will continue to show everyone that I know or even here of thinking about buying a dodge product..I have already discouraged three fellow co-workers not to buy a dodge.. two bought fords and one a Chevy...

- , Jefferson City, MO, USA

Apr 282008

Ram 1500 3.7L V6

They will lose a lot of customers if they do not. [ Including me ]

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 302008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

Huge crack from window, through vent and to edge of dash. Looks so bad. My 99 dodge Durango's dash held up better than this and that truck sat in the sun all day everyday.

- , Eustis, FL, USA

Jul 182008

Ram 1500 1500 4x4 Quad Cab 5.9L

I HAVE A 2002 DODGE 1500 QUAD CAB 4X4 WITH A 5.9L. THIS TRUCK IS A SHOW TRUCK THAT IS LIFTED 12 INCHES WITH AWESOME TIRES AND RIMS.BUT NOW ITS A PIECE OF SH*T WITH THE DASH ALL CRACKED TO HELL.I GOT IN MY TRUCK AFTER WORK ONE DAY AND THERE WAS 6 CRACKS ALL OVER THE DASH AND EVEN UP BY THE GRAB HANDLES.I CANT BELIEVE DODGE WONT BACK THIS.I WILL STILL PUT THIS IN SHOWS ALONG WITH A SIGN TO TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THIS PROBLEM AND HOW DODGE WONT FIX IT AND TO BUY ANOTHER VEHICLE THAN DODGE.I HAVE INVESTED ABOUT $15.000 IN EXTRAS ON THIS TRUCK FOR THIS .YOU SUCK DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Laurel, DE, US

Aug 012007

Ram 1500 Quad 4.7L

Ready to join class action suit if enough out there to sign up! I bought this truck for my husband for his 40th birthday! He fell in love with the style, and I wanted to surprise him. The dash is defective! enough same complaints warrants a recall!

- , Denham Springs, LA, USA

Aug 192008

Ram 1500 LS 5.9L

WENT TO A DODGE DEALER FOR REPAIR AND WAS ADVISED IT WAS NOT COVERED UNDER THE WARRANTY. I ALSO PURCHASED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY WITH THE VEHICLE WHICH PROVIDED AN EXTENDED WARRANTY PERIOD OF 7 YRS OR 75,000 MILE.

WHAT IS THE PROBLEM LET ME TELL YOU!

ONE LARGE CRACK FROM FRONT WINDSHIELD TO FRONT OF DASH ALONG WITH A NUMBER OF SMALL CRACKS. THEY SAID IT WOULD BE 1100.00 TO FIX. WHY SHOULD I DO THAT THE PRODUCT IS DEFECTIVE......

THEY SAID TO BAD SO SAD. DODGE DOESN'T CARE. AFTER SEVERAL DEALERS SAME STORY.

- , la Mirada, CA, USA

Mar 112004

Ram 1500 SLT 3.7L V6

click to see larger images

cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard cracks in dashboard

At first I though i was one of the only ones experiencing this problem. Then I came across a thread on DodgeTalk.com (The #1 Dodge Community), and saw that there's maybe thousands! I called Dodge, spoke to an overseas customer rep, GOT NO WHERE! Some have been lucky enough to get Dodge to fix there's, but I'm not one of them. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my truck; Ive had it for 7 years so far! I just dont like the poor quality of the interior panels. Dodge could have done BETTER!

Dodge HAS TO FIX THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA