CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (272 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (94 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (15 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 22 of 25)

Mar 142007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

My dash cracked all to hell. Just got in my truck one day and there was these giant cracks all the way across my dash, and naturally Dodge said this was not a defect. I just bought a new dashboard cover to hide the cracks,but now the vents are breaking off. This just pisses me off that Dodge won't step up to the plate and recall this problem.

- , Lakehills, TX, USA

Dec 042006

Ram 1500 4.7L V8

Dashboard has totally fallen apart. The right thing for dodge to do is replace the dash. Its a well documented issue now. The rest of the truck is fine, typical maintenance issues but the dashboard is really a bad deal and unfair that a truck that is 4 years old has a dashboard that essentially exploded.

- , Broomfield, CO, US

Sep 162004

Ram 1500 Sport 5.9L

I know that Chrysler knows about this problem since 1999, just do a Google search on 1999 Dodge Crack Dashboard, you'll find that you're not alone. I don't think mileage on your truck should be an issue. The issue is a Cracked Dashboard that should be replaced by Chrysler, especially if it's a recall. Any one who rides in my Dodge truck, I always should them the cracks in the Dash and ask them do you really want to buy Dodge.

The product speaks for itself! It's obvious that the dash is a brittle piece of plastic that gets heat stress cracks during those hot days from expansion and contraction! Brittle plastic does not expand and contract, it cracks! C'mon Chrysler, step up to the plate, be honorable for once!

My stepson owns a 2005 Ford Focus and the Dash is made of some firm rubber that shows no signs of cracking and he�s never taken care of it.

You can clean your Dodge Truck Dash and put all kinds of protectants on your Dash, it's going to crack. It's Cheap Plastic! Can anyone tell me if they recalled it yet? Probably not! This is the last Dodge I will ever buy, I hate manufacturers that don't stand by their products.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Oct 042007

Ram 1500 V8

I think Dodge should replace the dash. I'm seeing more cracks happening,and it's crappy to have such a nice looking truck with an ugly dash.

- , Clermont, FL, USA

Jun 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Crack started small and now has run up the dash right infont of the steering wheel. With a second crack starting a the left air intake. I have always kept a windshield shade on the dash and the windows cracked. Dodge should step up and cover the cost of this vehicle. I am in the market for a new vehicle. We are looking to buy a new van to replace the 2000 Dodge Grand Caravan looks like we will look at Toyota or Honda since Chrysler isn't stepping up top the plate on quality.

- , Jonesboro, AR, USA

Feb 282004

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

Dodge should have fixed this under warranty, It's been document on dealer service repair gripes, never addressed

- , Wellington, FL, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 SLT REG CAB 5.9L V8 4x4

I now have 2 long vertical cracks in the dashboard of my 2002 dodge I bought in October 2001 and the vehicle has been either garaged or parked under a carport the entire life of the vehicle. the dashboard material plastic composite is not thick enough to endure the sunlight uv rays and becomes brittle which results in easy cracking from exposure. I paid 29,950.00 for this vehicle brand new and not satisfied in numerous defects including the cheap drink cup holder and ashtray fold down design that latches where out in 50,000 miles interior light lenses fall out while driving and the automatic transmission slipping which i have had rebuilt at 78,000 miles

- , Holladay, TN, USA

Jun 102008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

on june 10,2008, i got into my truck to take fellow workers to lunch only to see that my dash had a crack that ran from the windshield completely across the front piece. i work for an engineering firm which we take clients to lunch from time to time in our own vehicles and this is not something you want to have clients who are thinking about giving you projects that are worth millions to see. we pay alot of money for theses vehicles and should not have to worry about something cosmetic such as this going wrong with them. now to only learn that this is going to get worse, and there doesn't seem to be a manufacture fix or responsibility to this problem. i firmly believe that with as many cases there seems to be with this, that Chrysler would step up and figure out a solution to our problem. i also own a 97' dodge ram 1500, and i don't have a problem with its dash cracking, so it appears that they have changed the material being used today and may need to reconsider using a better one. however, i do love my dodge truck, and its reliability, just not the problem of having a dash that is going to continue to crack up.

- , Lowell, AR, USA

Jun 012007

Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4.7L

CAME ACROSS THIS WEB SITE. I THOUGHT I WAS PROBABLY THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS PROBLEM. I HAVE 3 LARGE CRACKS IN MY DASH. IT REALLY HAS ME WORRIED THAT IT MAY CAUSE A MALFUNCTION WITH THE AIR BAGS OR SOMETHING. DODGE I HOPE YOU SEE THIS WEBSITE AND ADMIT YOUR ERROR AND TAKE CARE OF THIS PROBLEM FOR YOUR CUSTOMERS. I THINK THEIR SHOULD BE A RECALL.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Apr 012008

Ram 1500

This is my daughters first truck-She was so proud to be driving it, and now she is embarrassed to have anyone ride in it because of the dash. It went from a small crack to the entire dash falling into two complete pieces and two more cracks have started. She wanted to buy another Dodge product for college, but I am really rethinking that. I have had several other makes of vehicles but never one that dodged a recall like this!

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 192008

Ram 1500 1500 4DR 5.9L V8

Dodge should step up and fix this issue. I live in Az(stationed Army) I have three cracks on my dash that are 5 inches long and still going. I though it was the heat but by reading the logs its happening everywhere. I was thinking about an up graded ( 2500 Megacab) after reading this I don't think so. I clean the truck once a week and use my windshield shades all the time. But it is only a 6 year old truck come on. We have never owned vehicles with cracked dashboards. This makes my truck look like pretty bad, come on dodge make things right!

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

May 052008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I see on this website that a lot of other people have had the same problem. Dodge should fix it. It is ridiculous for a 6 year old vehicle to have this problem.

- , Evans, GA, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

I can't believe with all the complaints I am finding, that Dodge has not stepped up to the plate and make it right. I guess they don't want repeat customers.

- , Lake Mary, FL, USA

Apr 072008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

my dash got a crack on the right side passenger side close to the defrost vent close to the passenger door -unacceptable.

- , Ontario, CA, US

Apr 022007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Yet another complaint about the dash cracking. I used to think Chrysler vehicles got a bad rap for quality. Looks like I was wrong! I too have taken good care of this vehicle since I bought it brand new........I won't consider to buy another, unless Dodge corrects the problem free of charge.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 242006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

I was cleaning my dash board and I noticed a little crack in the top of the dash board vent. I was upset that my dash vent had a crack in it. I kept an eye on it, and as days went by it kept cracking more and more. After two weeks went and I noticed that the vent broke all the way off, and after a short time the corner dash on the passenger side has cracked as well. I always keep a window shade up when I park my truck and I try to park in the shade. I have never had a truck or car with a cracked dash before. I think Dodge should recall the vehicles that have cracked dashes. I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler and the dash is prefect.

- , Rocklin, CA, US

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Noticed a crack the entire length of dash from windshield to instrument panel in middle of dash. Thought that was strange because I think it may have cracked all at one time. A few weeks later I was wiping the dash with damp cloth and ran over defrost vent in the dash when it begin to break out into small pieces as though it were very brittle. I couldn't understand why the dash could be so brittle after only a few years. I started researching after the same problem was featured on the local news hear in Jackson from a complaint by a local resident. I agree that this is a common problem with the Dodge Trucks and need to be replaced by Dodge. I'm with Lillian from TX, I will contact my Attorney Generals office here in Mississippi and maybe if enough people complain to the right source Dodge will be made to correct this defect at no cost to the owner. I feel this is only fair....

- , Jackson, MS, US

Apr 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7V8

I have the same cracks that everyone else is describing. Definitely a material defect. I have never had a car or truck dash crack this bad this fast. 64000 miles and everything else is in good shape.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 162008

Ram 1500 SEL 5.9L

Dodge needs to fix this problem. Dash is cracking in 5 places on both pieces. Always kept clean and covered from sun. Just started cracking one day and continued. Where can I call to talk to someone and maybe get relief?

- , Winfield, AL, US

Nov 302007

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L V8

With the number of complaints about this issue Dodge should man up and fix the problem. It is obviously a defect in workmanship.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA