CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 has the well-known and documented problem with their dashboards falling to pieces, but it also has engine failure from oil sludge. That's a doube shot of awful in your morning coffee.

8.2

1. Dodge should recall the dashboard (safety issue) (269 reports)
  3. replace dashboard (90 reports)
  4. class action lawsuit against Dodge for inferior dashboards (14 reports)
  5. bought an aftermarket dash replacement (2 reports)
  6. dashboard, vents, radio replacement (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Ram 1500 accessories - interior problems

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Owner Comments (Page 22 of 25)

Apr 012008

Ram 1500

This is my daughters first truck-She was so proud to be driving it, and now she is embarrassed to have anyone ride in it because of the dash. It went from a small crack to the entire dash falling into two complete pieces and two more cracks have started. She wanted to buy another Dodge product for college, but I am really rethinking that. I have had several other makes of vehicles but never one that dodged a recall like this!

- , Weatherford, TX, USA

Jan 192008

Ram 1500 1500 4DR 5.9L V8

Dodge should step up and fix this issue. I live in Az(stationed Army) I have three cracks on my dash that are 5 inches long and still going. I though it was the heat but by reading the logs its happening everywhere. I was thinking about an up graded ( 2500 Megacab) after reading this I don't think so. I clean the truck once a week and use my windshield shades all the time. But it is only a 6 year old truck come on. We have never owned vehicles with cracked dashboards. This makes my truck look like pretty bad, come on dodge make things right!

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

May 052008

Ram 1500 5.9L V8

I see on this website that a lot of other people have had the same problem. Dodge should fix it. It is ridiculous for a 6 year old vehicle to have this problem.

- , Evans, GA, USA

Jun 152008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

I can't believe with all the complaints I am finding, that Dodge has not stepped up to the plate and make it right. I guess they don't want repeat customers.

- , Lake Mary, FL, USA

Apr 072008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

my dash got a crack on the right side passenger side close to the defrost vent close to the passenger door -unacceptable.

- , Ontario, CA, USA

Apr 022007

Ram 1500 SLT V8

Yet another complaint about the dash cracking. I used to think Chrysler vehicles got a bad rap for quality. Looks like I was wrong! I too have taken good care of this vehicle since I bought it brand new........I won't consider to buy another, unless Dodge corrects the problem free of charge.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Nov 242006

Ram 1500 SLT 4.8L

I was cleaning my dash board and I noticed a little crack in the top of the dash board vent. I was upset that my dash vent had a crack in it. I kept an eye on it, and as days went by it kept cracking more and more. After two weeks went and I noticed that the vent broke all the way off, and after a short time the corner dash on the passenger side has cracked as well. I always keep a window shade up when I park my truck and I try to park in the shade. I have never had a truck or car with a cracked dash before. I think Dodge should recall the vehicles that have cracked dashes. I have a 1992 Jeep Wrangler and the dash is prefect.

- , Rocklin, CA, USA

Jan 022008

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Noticed a crack the entire length of dash from windshield to instrument panel in middle of dash. Thought that was strange because I think it may have cracked all at one time. A few weeks later I was wiping the dash with damp cloth and ran over defrost vent in the dash when it begin to break out into small pieces as though it were very brittle. I couldn't understand why the dash could be so brittle after only a few years. I started researching after the same problem was featured on the local news hear in Jackson from a complaint by a local resident. I agree that this is a common problem with the Dodge Trucks and need to be replaced by Dodge. I'm with Lillian from TX, I will contact my Attorney Generals office here in Mississippi and maybe if enough people complain to the right source Dodge will be made to correct this defect at no cost to the owner. I feel this is only fair....

- , Jackson, MS, USA

Apr 022008

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7V8

I have the same cracks that everyone else is describing. Definitely a material defect. I have never had a car or truck dash crack this bad this fast. 64000 miles and everything else is in good shape.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Mar 162008

Ram 1500 SEL 5.9L

Dodge needs to fix this problem. Dash is cracking in 5 places on both pieces. Always kept clean and covered from sun. Just started cracking one day and continued. Where can I call to talk to someone and maybe get relief?

- , Winfield, AL, USA

Nov 302007

Ram 1500 Ram 1500 4.7L V8

With the number of complaints about this issue Dodge should man up and fix the problem. It is obviously a defect in workmanship.

- , Fort Smith, AR, USA

Jan 022005

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L

I was gently cleaning my dash one day when I suddenly heard a cracking noise come from the center of the dashboard near a vent. I could see it was cracked but figured it was my fault somehow. A while later a second crack appeared in the same area of the dashboard, the second one coming from the other side of the same vent as the first one. They are visible and make my nice truck look like a cheap piece of crap. The material used for the dash is obviously sub-standard and brittle, as I have a 1988 Honda Accord with NO cracks in the dash.

- , Paradise, CA, USA

May 122008

Ram 1500 1500 4.7L

I called 1-800-992-1997, Chrysler customer service. They will replace the front and rear dash for a $200 co-pay. It is there f-up and we have to pay for it. Anyway, the parts have to be manufactured and I have been waiting two months with no end in sight. I have no idea the damn problem with Dodge with getting parts. If my truck was in an accident I would be rental car for God knows how long.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Dec 282006

Ram 1500 SLE 4.7L

Nice truck, piece of crap dash. Dodge needs to own up to this & replace.NOW

- , Live Oak, TX, USA

Jan 012008

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L V8

I bought this BAD ASS Dodge truck over a Ford f-150 ... 1 month after i made my first payment i found one little crack in the dash about 3 inches long and now 1 year later i have 9 cracks in the dash, the largest one is about 10 inches long with a 1/2 inch gap. I bought an extended warranty for 3 years and 30,000 miles bumper to bumper and it's not covered !! WHAT A F#@$$%# RIP OFF !!!! DODGE !!!! RECALL THIS B.S.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 062004

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

This truck was way too new with way too low mileage to of had this major of a cracked dash problem. If it had been a Ford, they would have at least acknowledged the problem and tried some sort of compensation. All I get from Dodge is "They'll contact you if they see it's necessary." Yeah, right. I'm not waiting for that call to go on vacation.

- , Mccomb, MS, USA

Oct 302007

Ram 1500 SLT 5.9L

I also have 4 large cracks in my dash, also have one in the instrument panel. It would be nice if they re-called this.

- , N. Wilkesboro, NC, USA

Apr 212008

Ram 1500 4.7L

I didn't realize that cracking dashboards was such a problem with Dodge, until I got in my truck this morning and saw the huge crack! I was sure there must be a recall...unfortunately no. After finding this site and several others with rants about the problem, I realize that it is an issue that needs to be addressed.

- , Bay City, TX, USA

Apr 022007

Ram 1500 V8

I contacted Dodge/Chrysler about my problem and they promised to help me get it fixed. The agreement is that they will pay 700. and I will pay 200. to the Frank Parra Dealership where I purchased the truck. My husband and I have been waiting on the dashboard parts(both front and back) to come in from the manufacturer for almost two months now. I have been told that no dealership in the US has the part it will have to be made. However, when I last checked with the dealership,(the service mgr.informed me that the part has not been manufactured since the truck was first made, and whenever they make the part, one will be sent; however, it is not high on Dodge's priority list.

My husband and I have purchased over thirty vehicles in our lifetimes, and we have never seen such mess as this. Further, I think we all should copy the comments about this problem to the Attorney General in our specific state, because I was told by Dodge/Chrysler headquarters that they were not aware of such problem that anyone else has had. That seems to be incorrect on someone's part. Perhaps the dealerships are not reporting the issues.

In order to report this, and let's do, by all means. Please contact the Attorney General's office of your specific state. If you know of anyone else having such problems, please have them add their issue to this site as well. Something definitely needs to be done in order for Dodge to get these parts to the dealerships so we may get our vehicles fixed, and I definitely want mine fixed, and I want them to pay for it since I am not the only one having this problem as I was initially told.

- , Irving, TX, USA

Feb 012007

Ram 1500 SLT 4.7L V8

Have been a Mopar fanatic since I was 16 and the dash in my 2002 Ram was replaced at 68000 miles and now at 108000 i have 3 new cracks in the vented front portion which was not replaced originally. Dodge has chosen some very cheap plastic for there dashes and will not stand behind them. I have a 68 roadrunner and Chrysler is definitely not building there vehicles like they use to......

- , Humble, TX, USA