1998 Dodge Stratus brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Stratus:

1998 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Nov 012011

Stratus 6-cyl

I started the car, placed my foot on the brake and it went to the floor. I exited the vehicle and found a large pool of fluid on the right front of the car. ABS and brake light came on. Master cylinder was near empty. I had the car towed to my local mechanic and he found that all the brake lines (6?) were leaking at the ABS pump. This is the car my wife drives. My wife! I am anal with regard to my vehicles condition and maintenance. To have a failure like this on a what is supposed to be a "quality american made vehicle" is absurd and totally unacceptable! my brothers 1999 Honda, my step son's 1991 Nissan stanza (recently sold) a 1993 Geo prizm (I.e. Toyota corolla!!!) recently sold had zero rust on any brake fitting, brake line or fuel line. I had no brake issues previously.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Jul 222004

Safety defect in 1998 on several occasions extended stopping distance was experienced resulting in an accident. The consumer admits that she may have hit the gas instead of the brake while attempting to stop for a red light. Campaign id number : 99V244000

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Jul 041999

1st brake failure, 15,000 miles, second at 40,000 miles. Engineering defect, not enough surface area to compensate for cab forward design. Many of your complaints about anti-lock brakes have nothing to do with the hydraulics. Lets get this recalled before some one gets killed. **dimsii IVOQ entry posted after 12/12/02 cut-over artemis**725472

- Middletown, NJ, USA

Nov 122002

The vehicle lost oil, and the brake pedal traveled to the floor when applied. The dealer replaced the brake tube and clamp.

- Hazleton, PA, USA