- September 21: Chrysler Recalls SUVs For TIPM Defects That Cause Engine Stall
- September 10: Dodge Grand Caravan Stalling Engines Get Look-See From Feds
- September 2: Dodge Dart Transmission Class-Action Lawsuit Filed in California
- August 28: Judge Says Chrysler TIPM Class-Action Lawsuit Can Move Forward
- September 3: Chrysler Wants Dodge Ram Tie-Rod Lawsuit Dismissed
2001 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2001 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems60NHTSA complaints: 70
- transmission problems13NHTSA complaints: 18
- AC / heater problems10
- electrical problems5NHTSA complaints: 11
- suspension problems4NHTSA complaints: 40
- interior accessories problems3NHTSA complaints: 13
- body / paint problems3NHTSA complaints: 9
- cooling system problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- drivetrain problems2NHTSA complaints: 2
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 3
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 15
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 23
- wheels / hubs problems1NHTSA complaints: 6
- steering problemsNHTSA: 25
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 4
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 3
- lights problemsNHTSA: 2
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 2
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2001 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.