- June 21: Dodge Dart Investigated After Brake Pedal Complaints
- June 18: Dodge Challenger Recalled For One Missing Bolt
- June 18: Chrysler 'False Park' Lawsuit Back in Gear
- May 31: Fiat Chrysler Lowers Powertrain Warranty To 60,000 Miles
- May 30: Canada, Japan and Australia Impacted By Takata Airbags
2000 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2000 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- AC / heater problems19NHTSA complaints: 3
- engine problems11NHTSA complaints: 19
- electrical problems8NHTSA complaints: 25
- transmission problems4NHTSA complaints: 15
- steering problems3NHTSA complaints: 59
- windows / windshield problems3NHTSA complaints: 5
- interior accessories problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 7
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 17
- wheels / hubs problems1
- brakes problemsNHTSA: 35
- seat belts / air bags problemsNHTSA: 16
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 7
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 4
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 3
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 2
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 2
- lights problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2000 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.