- December 31: Dodge Recalls Dart Aero To Fix Tire Pressure Monitoring System
- December 29: Lawsuit Filed Over Allegedly Defective Clutch Safety Interlock Switches
- December 29: Older Dodge Trucks Recalled After Reported Fatality
- December 25: Dodge Recalls Challenger To Repair Instrument Clusters
- December 19: FCA US Recalls 3.3 Million Vehicles To Repair Takata Airbags
2002 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems82NHTSA complaints: 55
- transmission problems28NHTSA complaints: 17
- body / paint problems11NHTSA complaints: 7
- interior accessories problems8NHTSA complaints: 4
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 2
- AC / heater problems3
- lights problems3
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 19
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 32
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 8
- steering problemsNHTSA: 8
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 4
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 3
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 3
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 2
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.