- March 5: The 12 Worst Cars According to Consumer Reports
- March 3: Chrysler Sued Over Alleged 'False Park' Death
- February 14: Investigation Closed Into Chrysler Stalling Engines
- February 11: Why You Should Beware of Car Dealer Ads
- January 14: Investigation Expanded Into Chrysler Sun Visor Fires
- December 17: Investigation Closed into Alleged Dodge Viper Rear Suspension Problems
- December 9: Chrysler Recalls Cars and Trucks With Transmission Problems
2002 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Want help understanding this graph?
- engine problems81NHTSA complaints: 52
- transmission problems26NHTSA complaints: 17
- body / paint problems11NHTSA complaints: 6
- interior accessories problems7NHTSA complaints: 3
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 17
- AC / heater problems2
- electrical problems2NHTSA complaints: 6
- lights problems2
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 30
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 12
- drivetrain problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- fuel system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problemsNHTSA: 7
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 3
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 3
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 2
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.