- April 11: Recalled: Dodge Viper Door Handles Lose Their Bite
- April 9: Government No Help to 1.8 Million Chrysler and Dodge Minivan Owners
- March 11: Chrysler Alternator Lawsuit Says Owners Tired of Problems
- March 6: Chrysler Recalls 700,000 Minivans and SUVs To Replace Ignition Switches
- March 2: Dodge Recalls Charger and Challenger Over Risk of Fire
2002 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems82NHTSA complaints: 42
- transmission problems28NHTSA complaints: 17
- body / paint problems11NHTSA complaints: 5
- interior accessories problems8NHTSA complaints: 3
- cooling system problems4NHTSA complaints: 1
- AC / heater problems3
- lights problems3
- seat belts / air bags problems3NHTSA complaints: 15
- suspension problems2NHTSA complaints: 23
- windows / windshield problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 11
- exhaust system problems1NHTSA complaints: 1
- steering problemsNHTSA: 7
- electrical problemsNHTSA: 5
- exterior accessories problemsNHTSA: 2
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 2
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 2
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 1
- fuel system problemsNHTSA: 1
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.