- October 19: Chrysler Recalls Vehicles With Alternators That May Cause Fires recalls | 3 days ago
- September 15: Chrysler Recalls Cars and SUVs After 3 Deaths, 5 Injuries recalls | 37 days ago
- August 17: Woman Sues Over Jeep Grand Cherokee Gear Shift Design news | 66 days ago
- August 3: Anton Yelchin Wrongful Death Lawsuit Filed by Parents news | 80 days ago
2002 Dodge Stratus
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Stratus suspension Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- front strut creaking, then ripped apart1
- rear strut mounts broke1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear10
- NHTSA: Suspension9
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Ball Joint5
- NHTSA: Suspension: Rear: Shock Absorber3
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Lower Arm2
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Upper Ball Joint2
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Control Arm: Upper Arm1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Front: Wheel Bearing 1
- NHTSA: Suspension: Multiple Axle1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.