- August 22: When Will Chrysler Do Something About Defective TIPMs?
- July 27: Dodge Charger Under Investigation For Alternator Failure
- July 11: Chrysler Recalls 895,000 SUVs After Vanity Lights Catch Fire
- June 30: Chrysler Recalls 696,000 Vehicles for Defective Ignition Switches
- June 29: Investigation Opened Into 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 Drive Shafts
1999 Dodge Stratus
Problems & Complaints
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 1999 Stratus Problems by Category
Click on a category below for details. Help?
- engine problems14NHTSA complaints: 56
- electrical problems13NHTSA complaints: 29
- AC / heater problems10NHTSA complaints: 5
- body / paint problems2NHTSA complaints: 4
- fuel system problems2NHTSA complaints: 11
- transmission problems2NHTSA complaints: 26
- exterior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 4
- interior accessories problems1NHTSA complaints: 8
- brakes problems1NHTSA complaints: 68
- lights problems1NHTSA complaints: 2
- seat belts / air bags problems1NHTSA complaints: 19
- steering problems1NHTSA complaints: 46
- miscellaneous problemsNHTSA: 12
- windows / windshield problemsNHTSA: 9
- drivetrain problemsNHTSA: 6
- cooling system problemsNHTSA: 6
- suspension problemsNHTSA: 5
- wheels / hubs problemsNHTSA: 4
- exhaust system problemsNHTSA: 3
A D V E R T I S E M E N T S
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.