- August 21: Jeep Grand Cherokee and Dodge Durango SUVs Recalled Again
- August 4: Fiat Chrysler Sued in Canada for $5 Billion
- August 1: About 284,000 Dodge Chargers Recalled Over Sensitive Airbags
- July 31: Government Looks Into Harmon Kardon Radios After Jeep Hack
- July 24: Fiat Chrysler Recalls 1.4 Million Vehicles After Jeep Hacking Incident
1999 Dodge Stratus
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 1999 Stratus electrical Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- alternator stopped working2
- car would not start2
- ignition coil, car wont start2
- oxygen sensor failed2
- wire harness melted2
- battery won't hold charge1
- gauge cluster doesn't work1
- sputters while running1
- NHTSA: Electrical System19
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring5
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Front Underhood5
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Ignition: Switch1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Starter Assembly: Relay1
- NHTSA: Electrical System: Wiring: Interior/Under Dash1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 1999 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.