- April 11: Chrysler Class-Action Lawsuit Targets Truck Tie-Rod Problems
- March 26: Chrysler Recalls Dodge Charger For Lifeless Low-Beam Headlights
- March 13: Feds Close Jeep Liberty Door Fires Investigation
- March 10: Chrysler Recalls 45,000 Vehicles to Update Software
- March 5: The 12 Worst Cars According to Consumer Reports
- March 3: Chrysler Sued Over Alleged 'False Park' Death
- February 14: Investigation Closed Into Chrysler Stalling Engines
- February 11: Why You Should Beware of Car Dealer Ads
2002 Dodge Stratus
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
Worst 2002 Stratus engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- oil sludge resulting in engine failure36
- engine oil light comes on with plenty of oil14
- knocking noise from engine12
- engine cuts out but restarts5
- engine light is on5
- timing chain broke, destroyed engine4
- timing belt broke2
- loosing oil1
- serpentine belts and air-conditioning belts brake1
- timing chain guide broke1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine26
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.