- March 13: FCA Emissions Recall Includes 863,000 Vehicles recalls | 8 days ago
- January 29: Chrysler Uconnect Hacking Lawsuit Headed For Trial news | 51 days ago
- January 24: Chrysler Active Head Restraint System Lawsuit Filed in Florida news | 56 days ago
- January 13: Chrysler Tire Valve Stem Class-Action Lawsuit Partially Dismissed news | 67 days ago
- January 10: FCA Recalls 1.6 Million Vehicles For Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 70 days ago
2002 Dodge Stratus
CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.
NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.
Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.
This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.
2002 Dodge Stratus Engine Problems
Click on a problem below to read more.
- Oil Sludge Resulting In Engine Failure38
- Engine Oil Light Comes On With Plenty Of Oil14
- Knocking Noise From Engine12
- Engine Light Is On7
- Engine Cuts Out But Restarts5
- Timing Belt Broke, Destroyed Engine4
- Loosing Oil2
- Timing Belt Broke2
- Died While Driving1
- Difficult Replacement Of Intake Gaskets/Spark Plugs1
- Serpentine Belts And Air-Conditioning Belts Break1
- Timing Chain Guide Broke1
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine26
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling16
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control7
- NHTSA: Engine3
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline2
- NHTSA: Engine And Engine Cooling: Engine: Gasoline: ...1
- NHTSA: Vehicle Speed Control: Cruise Control1
Stay Up to Date
Compare Dodge Stratus Model Years
Curious how the 2002 Stratus compares to other years?
Check out our Dodge Stratus overview to see the most problematic years, worst problems and most recently reported complaints with the Stratus.