Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

2002 Dodge Stratus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Stratus:

2002 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Nov 292013

Stratus R/T 3.0L V6

Bad rear head gasket and variable valve train cam issue, causing slight coolant consumption and about 2 quarts of oil every oil change..3.0L v6....

Why even bother making this engine if its designed to fail. Not going to do anything. If it blows, it blows.. not worth the tin its made out of..Epic fail Mitsubishi/Dodge!

- , Belchertown, MA, USA

Sep 022007

Stratus 4

This is my second Stratus with a 4 cylinder. It starting loosing oil. I never see it on the ground or in with the coolant. My 1998 Stratus did the same thing which I sold and cost the new owners $1800.00 to repair the head. I am keeping it on the road by adding oil additive and using 50w oil recommended by my mechanic every 3000 miles.I have to still add a quart about once a month. All I can say are these are pure junk motors! I can't wait to I can afford to replace this piece of crap car! DON'T BUY ONE!

- , Fort Myers, FL, USA