CarComplaints.com Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

9.4

$4,529.00

1. I want DCX to buy back my car and refund my money (12 reports)
  2. replace engine (8 reports)
  3. nothing, can't afford the repairs (4 reports)
2001 Dodge Stratus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Stratus:

2001 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152012

Stratus ES 2.7L

I'm so pissed off that Dodge will not replace there defected 2.7 Dodge Stratus motors !!! we the people of this great country get ripped off from our own automotive corporations that's the last time our government should bail out Dodge because they will not stand behind there own product which is bull sh*t . I was going to give the stratus to my kid for school , But as soon as i paid it off it blew up due to oil sludge. Thanks Dodge Corp. for standing behind your product I will make sure the rest of my friends and family know to never buy a Dodge product this is the third Dodge that i have had nothing but problems with. Next time i will buy a ford or a import, Dodge has left a BAD taste in my mouth.

- , Portorchard, WA, USA

Jan 012009

Stratus 2.7L V6

I am an 18 year old college student that needs my car in order to drive two hours to college and go to class. I bought a dodge stratus thinking it was a cute car and would be a reliable car i could count on to get me to and from school. My boyfriend is a mechanic so he always made sure that all the maintence was done and done properly on my car including oil changes and adding oil because he said that the status looses a quart of oil every 1000 mile so to ensure the life of the engine we made sure it had enough oil at all times. One day it started making an awful knocking noise on the top of the engine then the check engine light came on and it started to misfire. When i made my boyfriend check it out he was astonished to find oil sludge to be the problem because we had taken such good care of it. Dodge is a piece of crap and I will never buy another. I loved my car and now it is sitting in the driveway not able to be driven and I can not afford to replace it because I am working in order to pay for college.

- , la Plata, MD, canada

Jul 152009

Stratus ES 2.7L V6

I bought my 2001 Dodge Stratus 2.7 L V6 about 2 years ago. The car ran great and had 50.000 Miles on engine. I changed the oil every 3000 miles. Coming home from work in Goleta to Santa Maria, Engine started overheating, pulled off the freway and opened hood. Smoke was pooring out and oil was all oner the engine, almost a fire. Ford Dealer said moter is blown due to oil sludge build up. Cost $5000 for remanufactured engine. Covered under warenty. 1 month later raditior went out $500, out of my pocket. 6 Months later fuel pump went out $700 out of pocket. Month ago timeing chain in moter came apart $2000 out of pocket. Now the Transmission is slipping and the car is having electrical problems.

Still owe $6000 in car payments. This car was built compleatly defective and Dodge should have recalled all 2001 dodge stratus 2.7 v6. Will never buy a nother Dodge or Dodge related product. Will soon be paying car payments and insurance on a dead car parked in front of my house.

- , Orcutt, CA, USA

Feb 022009

Stratus

I purchased this car from the Used Car Motor Mall of Grand Rapids. What a major ripoff. I had the car for less than six months and the air conditioning failed during the dead of winter. I took it in to get it fixed, paid more than $300 for a fix job on the air conditioning and get an oil change, only to have the motor blow up less than 40 miles later. Mechanic refused to continue working on the car when he opened the motor up to find oil sludge caked on like someone dumped a bucket of tar in the motor. I cannot afford another motor and if I could I would have to have it shipped from Texas (closest I was able to locate). And I have to continue paying for this car until October 2011. WTF.

- , Constantine, MI, USA

Dec 172008

Stratus SE 2.7L V6

Ive owned used cars but when i decided to buy a 2001 dodge stratus in 2004 it was almost new and i was excited to have a car that could grow with me. I was on the highway driving by myself in the middle of the night when the car got loud and slowed down to a stop. After having it towed, stored, and looked at they said I needed a new engine due to sludge. I didnt think that was possible due to the fact we always used synthetic oil and kept on the oil changes. Ive sence paid over 3,000 for storage and fees. We have 3 shops looking for a replacement engine and everyone is telling me to junk the car. Thats bull sh*t! I paid a lot of money and took good care of this car and im now wandering if i really need to junk it and walk away with less than 200.00 is scrap money.

I really just want my car fixed, im expecting a child and have no way to get around.

- , Michigan City, IN, USA

Aug 072009

Stratus SE 2.7L V6

Bought my 2001 Dodge Stratus SE. Car seemed to be great for a short period of time. After a short while it became nothing but problems. Cam-shaft sensor went out twice, cars computer went out, oil sending unit went out and eventually oil sludge cause the engine to fail. Mechanic says it will cost over $5,000 to get it fixed. Then he tells me about the oil sludge and how hundreds of people with this very same engine are having the exact same problem. Its BS that these scumbags can get away with making such a piece of junk.

- , Atchison, Kansas, USA

Jul 152009

Stratus ES 2.7L V6

I think its a bunch of bull that DCX KNOWS of the problem with the sludge problem and the oiling system being poorly designed and REFUSES to do anything about it. My Stratus is in GREAT shape....loaded.....just had new tires and new brakes put on it so it can SIT in my driveway and NOT BE DRIVEN!!!!!!! C'mon guys @ Chrysler.......could ya help the common person just this once. It would go a long way to promoting good faith back into the new DCX.

- , Salem, OH, USA

Dec 172008

Stratus ES 2.7L V6

I was driving home from work right before Christmas when my engine shut down on me in the middle of the freeway during rush hour. Mechanic informed me it was engine failure due to sludge and would cost just over $6000.00 to fix. Instead of buying Christmas presents I was forced to buy a new car!

- , Denver, CO, USA

Dec 232008

Stratus ES 2.7L

I too have a 2001 Stratus and my car stalled while driving, with my two young children in the car right before Christmas and the weather was 10' outside and no kidding my cell phone had enough charge for one phone call to my husband to come out and help me. I had it towed to the dealer were he could find nothing wrong. So all they did was change the oil and tell me that the car is drivable for someone that wouldn't be tough on it. I took it out the next day and it made the worst noise ever. No after reading all these complaints I feel very strong that it was also the Sludge. I don't want to let this go either. It makes me sick to my stomach, my husband kept up with the oil changes to prevent this from happening.I don't want to take this situation lightly, but yet unsure what can be done.

K Gagnon

Melrose, NY

- , Melrose, NY, USA

Jul 162007

Stratus SES 2.7L

First water pump went bad, not long after this was replaced, the oil light started flickering at lower rpms. Had it looked at - Oil level was good. Had oil changed, was told then that it had metal shavings in the oil filter had motor flushed and was told the motor was going to go soon. Get rid of car or replace motor. Shortly after the car started knocking bad and idling very rough and missing. Had it towed to Mechanic who said the motor was shot. Can't find replacement easily because it's too hard a find a good one. The car has been sitting now for almost a year since i have no money, and can not pay dodge dealer 4,000 to replace motor. Has been brought to my attention the the chrysler 2.7 motor has very bad oil problems and that this is common and not my fault. I kept up regular maintainence on this car and need my car.

- , Newark, DE, USA

Mar 222007

Stratus ES 2.7L V6

ran car for several months from initials symptoms (heavier oil worked), thinking it was was bad valve lifters (noise, miss-fires)... could afford $600 min. to replace timing kit; finally went completely 2/2008.

- , Galloway, NJ, USA

Jan 032008

Stratus SE 2.7L V6

2001 Dodge Stratus Se bought new. Engine timing chain tensioner design defect restricted oil flow and the chain jumps. It makes no difference if the oil was changed religiously. So much for supporting the American automobile industry. No wonder they are hurting.

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Jan 142008

Stratus ES 2.7L

My husband bought our 01 Dodge Stratus in 2002 with the first owner being his mother. We never had any major problems with the car. Although high mileage, we've replaced a starter and a hub which warranty covered. We live in Iowa and the winters are cold. Winter of '07-'08 there began a strange tapping noise from atop the engine which would go away when RPMs were over 1500.The car finally just stopped running. Was told was probably the water pump or timing belt. While calling around to repair shops, I began searching the internet for answers. I came upon this website and realized this was a major problem! I was distracting reading the complaints on these other cars same year make model and engine size as our car, but also made me realize something, something needs to change! This is ridiculous! Daimler- Chrysler is a multi-million dollar cooperation who is making ther $$$ on screwing hard working people who trusted them.

I applaud those who are taking this situation to higher levels. I am not one of those people. We are a family of four with a income of under $20,000/year and only starting our 2nd year of paying on our home. So to all thee other people with this problem, I feel your pain and anger. And I hope that for this problem you've experienced something good or at least notable as ok comes out of it for you!

- , Iowa Falls, Iowa, USA

May 292007

Stratus ES V6

Stratus SE 2.7L V6, 90,000 miles

My engine died due to the sludge!!! Oil change every 3000 miles, kept up on all maintenance! I still owe on the car, and it is going to cost over 2000- 3000 to fix it... Sure enough, I am not the only one with problem, as you can see... How is Chrysler allowed to get away with this??? I need a car, that works and I expected that when buying this car that it would.. I will never ever buy another car from this company as well as tell any one I know to either.

- , Canton, MI, USA

Aug 292007

Stratus SE 2.4L

OKAY my car had round 60,000 miles on my stratus and the engine went. i simply started driving another car and when i went to start my stratus one day it was knocking all inside the engine. isn't that great that i spend 7,500 on the car and months later the damn engine goes and they want me to pay another 4 grand to get it fixed im good on that im only a teenager and i shouldn't have these problems DUCK DODGE

- , Howell, MI, USA

Sep 262007

Stratus

This car is a piece of s**t and I will NEVER EVER buy another Dodge again(or any other American car for that matter...) I have had nothing but problems for the 2 years I have had the thing. It's been one thing after another.

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Aug 102007

Stratus ES 2.7L

this motherf*ckin car is a piece of sh*t because i bought it from kia.... KIA sucks don't buy a car from there!!!!

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

Nov 032006

Stratus SE 2.7L V6

I brought my car 9/2000, right off the truck as it was pulling into the dealership. My cars a lot of miles on it b/c I was in the military when I purchased it and traveled quite frequently. Needless to say, b/c I did travel so much, I was always on top of the maintenance for the car. I had regular oil changes, and tuneups. My tuneup were always done by the dealership, not just some Joe Blow. My oil light started to come on and I heard this knocking suddenly. I had it towed to my mechanic, who told me my engine was shot! This happened in 9/2006. I had just had an oil change in 7/2006 with no observed problems. I see the Intrepid has a very similar problem and it has the same engine in it. I plan to write Chrysler's regional VP, Mr. Thomas LaSorda (or whatever his name is), and their PR department. If I don't get a response, the next letter I write will be to the Washington Post. I just finished paying that damn car off in Jan. 2006. Oh, and did I mention, I financed it through Daimler Chrysler. I'm with the other guy, its way too many people for this too be a coincidence. One mechanic suggested Jasper Engine to fix it (which is really expensive), b/c they redesigned the motor to fix whatever it is causing the problem. Dodge needs to buy Jasper Engine's model and recall these cars and fix them.

- , Temple Hills, MD, USA

Feb 162007

Stratus SE V6

Well, I want to use so many words! The damn car's engine died. Oil Slugs was the diagnosis. By the way, I did change my oil. I cannot afford to get it fixed. I am so angry.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 292006

Stratus ES 2.7L V6

I purchased this car, took good care of it, and for my loyalty to Chrysler I get a worthless engine at 67000 miles. It will cost me a boatload to fix it and I also still owe on the car. They made a piece of sh*t car and then made the repair cost so much, you are screwed. I have heard of replacing an engine costing $2000 or so, maybe 3, but the price they are suggesting it will cost to repair THEIR mistake is absurd! I will never buy another Chrysler vehicle and I will encourage everyone I know to do the same.

- , Livonia, MI, USA