5.0

1. fixed lower control arm gaurd (1 reports)
1998 Dodge Stratus wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Stratus:

1998 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Jun 012009

Stratus ES 2.5L

When turning left i noticed a light grinding noise coming from the car. I also noted a 'crunch' noise when hitting medium bumps. As time went on, the crunch became a grinding noise (like the turning one) and the turning left noise became louder. The noise when turning was a combination of turning radius and vehicle speed. The noise also became worse with more people in the car. I drove it this way for about a 1000 more miles and took it to a suspension shop out of annoyance. Within an hour (and from what I could tell, not even looking at the car and merely going off the symptoms I told them), they told me I had a worn out ball joint and a seized strut. After I got the quote for $600 (and choking) I decided to do the work myself. Upon jacking up the car, I noticed the strut still moved freely. After taking off the wheel I noticed a circular scratch inside the wheel rim. Clearly the point of the noise. I found the culprit, a small metal L bracket that attaches to the lower control arm. It's only purpose in life (I suppose) is to keep junk out of the bottom of the ball joint (water, mud, break dust, etc..). I removed it, hammered the out of it and reinstalled. Like magic, the problem is gone. $600 saved. Time to party!

- , Columbus, IN, USA

Jan 312004

Stratus

Considering I just had to have a tie rod replaced in July/2003, and then a wheel bearing in 8/03, and I drive 22 miles to work (one way) every day. It has been very stressful.

- , Defiance, OH, USA