Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The Dodge Stratus, Intrepid & other Chrysler sedans are infamous for oil sludge problems with the 2.7L V6 engine. If someone offers to sell you a 2.7L V6 model, it's only worth the price of the scrap metal it's going to shortly turn into.

NOTE: Only the 2.7L V6 has the oil sludge problem. Our "Avoid like the Plague" designation is ONLY for models with the 2.7L V6 engine. All other available engines are very reliable with no major problems.

Even with regular maintenance, the oil sludge defect eventually destroys the 2.7L engine typically around 80,000-100,000 miles. The only true fix we know about is to put in the larger 3.2L engine, which has a great reputation. Also the 2.4L engine doesn't have the oil sludge problem.

This issue was never deemed a safety defect by the Feds, so there was no recall. In the end, Chrysler got away with FOUR YEARS worth of defective 2.7L V6 engines in their sedans.

2001 Dodge Stratus engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Dodge Stratus:

2001 Dodge Stratus Owner Comments

Nov 072010

had new engine in 2003 has run good until sun. nov. 7, 2010 car just stopped going down road engine stopped no power steering nothing will start but only for maybe 10 minutes quits again could this be fuel pump or fuel filter?

- , Scottsburg, IN, USA

Oct 292007

Stratus SE 3.2L

I have always liked dodges but this dodge that I bought in 2001 has been nothing but a problem from the day I drove it off the lot, I love the looks of the car, and I wish I did not have these problems, I have had more check engine lights come on and brake issues and sensor issues, just awful, I think I def got a lemon but to late to prove now, this was a costly lesson I will def learn next time I get a new car, that wont be a Dodge....

- , Albany, NY, USA