Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 012012

We purchased our vehicle used and with an extended warranty. Several months after we had the vehicle we noticed it would jump or skip almost like it is not going into gear. At first it started with being at a stop sign and when I tried to go it would jump. It eventually started to happen while we are driving, there is no consistent situation like going up or down a hill, stopped at a stopped sign, or even backing up where that is the only time it happens. Over the last 3 years we have had several shops look at it including a the Ford dealership where we purchased it while it was under warranty and after. Each time they advised the computer was not registering anything wrong. Every location drove the vehicle and did feel the same thing but were unable to locate the issue. We have even left the car at the shop for several days at a time for them to drive and try to locate the issue. I have contact Ford but was advised there was no recall or anyone else having issues but I was welcome to call back and keep advising them of the issue. The repair shops advised I would have to wait for something to essentially break to be able to locate the problem. Other than this issue we have had no mechanical problems with the car and we have it serviced regularly but we are concerned with driving it long distances and I am afraid this jump/skip may eventually cause an accident. I would like to try to see if anyone else is having this issue or if anything can be done to correct the problem.

- Wetumpka, AL, USA

Jul 202013

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle experienced a sudden loss of power and started shaking violently, check engine light came on. Towed to mechanic. Electronic diagnostics codes P0351, P0352, P0354, P0301, P0302, P0316, P0420 bank catalyst below threshold. Performed pin point test on all coils, fuel system, and relative compression. Performed all repairs related to technical service bulletin 12_8_17. After verifying burnt coil and internal driver fault of PCM to coals! replaced all ignition coils, all spark plugs, upper intake gaskets and PCM! used all Ford oe parts.reprogramed PCM and road test to verify all repairs. Cost $2039.29. Verified converter damage related to ignition failure dumping raw fuel through bank 1. replaced original converter, seal, gasket, cleaned all O2 sensors. Cost $704.94.

- Martin, TN, USA

Mar 252015

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle's speed suddenly decreased to approximately 20 mph and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle began to shutter and vibrate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused by a faulty PCM, which caused damage to the engine coil packs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Jul 242013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact noticed motor oil leaking from the vehicle while it was parked. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the power transfer unit needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,500. Updated 5/7/15

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Apr 122014

Edge 6-cyl

The transmission feels like it is in neutral. It jerks like someone has ran into your vehicle with their vehicle. Several warning lights come on. Speedometer goes to zero. If you come to a stop, you may not get going again. Had this checked out and replaced a sensor costing me $425 and less than 2 weeks later, problem occurs again. Had this checked out and now they are hollering another sensor has went bad and this one is going to cost $600. Did not have this one fixed!! also had to have vehicle towed home one time costing even more money....

- Stevenson, AL, USA

Dec 262014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving at approximately 65 mph, there was an abnormal jerking vibration coming from the vehicle, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the engine light warning indicator illuminated. Also, the contact mentioned that there was a burning odor emitting from the vehicle as it stalled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that there were two defective spark plugs. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 82,000.

- Palmyra, MO, USA

Nov 172014

At a stop, the car would not accelerate, loud clunking sound, airbag light turned on. Would not move, had to completely turn off car for a few seconds, only moved a few feet before it did again. Next day same problem.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Car is skipping or jerking when going up hills. Happens multiple times when car is moving up hills. Most likely transmission problem or sensor problem.

- Export, PA, USA

Jun 022014

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving various speeds, the vehicle continuously stalled without warning. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 99,000.

- Acton , MA, USA

Jun 102014

Edge 6-cyl

The vehicle began to overheat rapidly and the air conditioning began to put out hot air. I pulled the vehicle off of the road and turned everything off. Upon cooling down, water was added to the radiator and the vehicle was taken to the mechanic. The problem was an internal water pump. The water pump cost $1900 to have replaced. I contacted Ford and they said they cannot do anything, it is the design and how you have to access the water pump. I priced (3) different dealers on the repair and they were all within a few dollars of each other. This particular vehicle has not been reliable.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Aug 282014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and noticed it jerking and hesitating to accelerate. The engine light became blinking rapidly and I noticed a burning smell. I took my car to a shop, who stated that one of the coils had melted and cracked. They replaced the coils and all spark plugs. Picked my vehicle up and still had the same issues, constant jerking, engine light still on, and still not wanting to accelerate. Took vehicle back the following day, shop stated the PCM was bad and needed to be replaced. I then contacted a local Ford dealership, who claimed they had never heard of this issue, and I would need to pay for them to run their own diagnostics on it, even though I was well aware of what was wrong with it. As of right now the car is still not fixed, and runs horribly. I refuse to spend anymore money on a problem that Ford is well aware of!!!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Mar 212014

Edge 6-cyl

Was driving at 45 mph when the car suddenly overheated and in a matter of seconds it cracked the block. The dealership it was towed to couldn't even tell me how something like that could have happened. This car has been well taken care of. Needless to say...I had to buy a whole new engine for it. I don't think this was anything that I did that made this happen. Honestly I think it is something Ford should really look at if the service mechanics at a Ford dealership can't even tell me how it happened.

- Troup, TX, USA

Jul 112014

Edge 6-cyl

I was driving my 2007 Ford Edge with 3 children in it when all of a sudden I lost the ability to not only accelerate but my speed suddenly fell from 45 miles an hour to 15 miles an hour without any ability to accelerate. My car was in a constant state of shaking and sputtering and increased when applying the brakes. There was something significantly wrong and it was pretty scary to experience particularly with 3 small children. I had the car towed to my automotive service company where the car's software system displayed codes indicating two ignition codes failed. Subsequently, the service provider replaced all the spark plugs and two coils. The car was not fixed and it was further determined that the PCM board is sending extremely high current to the ignition coils and could have caused an engine fire. This is very distressing. Ford has issued an internal tsb acknowledging this issue but has not enacted a recall. The estimated cost to replace the PCM, spark plugs and coils (6) is approximately $3,000. Additionally in my research there is a class action lawsuit that has been filed by a group of Ford owners.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Jun 202014

Edge 6-cyl

My vehicle all of a sudden started to slow down suddenly like I had taken my foot off the gas. It started shuddering and my transmission light came on. I thought it was the transmission so I had it towed to the shop. After diagnosis, it showed my cylinders were misfiring. It was due to a bad coil which was causing the spark plugs to read at an extremely high voltage. They needed to replace all coils and all spark plugs. Then found out that it fried my PCM(computer) which also had to be replaced. Come to find out, this is a know issue with the 2007 Ford Edge and there is a tsb on it for this exact situation. The dealership told me that the PCM had a malfunction which caused the coils/spark plugs to go bad. They also said the PCM has a manufacturer 8 year/80,000 mile warranty. Well I was at 7 years/83000 miles and when they submitted the warranty claim, Ford denied it forcing me to pay $2400 for the repairs. I think this is ridiculous to deny a known malfunction for only 3000 miles over. What if I had been on the highway when my vehicle suddenly came to a stop" I had my son with me that day and this could have caused a major accident, possibly involving other drivers, and we may have even been injured. And Ford doesn't feel responsible to help with the cost of this repair?"

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Feb 012014

Edge 6-cyl

Since Feb 2014, my 2007 Ford Edge seemed to be wanting to stall when I was driving and/or trying to accelerate. I didn't think anything of it as it wasn't a 24/7 issue but it did happen regularly. Yesterday everything changed. I went to turn my car on yesterday and it didn't turn on right away. It was "trying" to start and then it would shut down. I would try to start it again and once again, it was "trying" to start and eventually did. I was driving home on the highway when I began to notice that I wasn't able to accelerate and I was going slower and slower so I managed to pull over to the break down lane and then the car just shut off. Once again, it didn't turn on the first time I tried but then it did the second time but reluctantly. The lights were dim on my dashboard which hadn't happened before. I managed to get home very slowly. I shut my car off at home and tried to turn it on and again it was struggling to turn on. I took the car to the dealer today and I was told that the throttle body had to be replaced. The service tech went on to explain that he has seen this issue especially in the year and model that I have. I have googled this issue online and see that the NHTSA had been looking into this same issue/complaints but with a later year as well as well as other models. I don't understand why this wasn't a recall as this could have been a dangerous scenario. I was on the highway when this occurred and thankfully not with my children. I see several complaints online for the same issue. I need to pay to get this fixed but I feel this should be coming out of Ford's pocket as it seems like it was a defective part. This complaint should be opened again and a formal recall should be established. This could be potentially very dangerous and even fatal.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Mar 012013

Edge 6-cyl

Driving at low speeds the vehicle will shift very hard, feels like someone rear ending me. The transmission feels like it has a hard time getting into gear. At high speeds the same thing happens but usually on hot days. The transmission finally gave out at 75000 due to the hard slamming and had to be rebuilt. I was leaving a driveway and was unable to accelerate, putting me at risk of being hit from behind. This could have been disastrous at high speeds. At 78000 miles I am still having the same problem, I turn the vehicle on the transmission slams into R and then I cannot accelerate past 10 mph. I turn the vehicle off and restart it, and it seems like nothing every happened. This happens intermittently and the check engine lights come one only every once in a while it is happening. Worried about me and my babies safety while driving.

- Humble , TX, USA

Dec 242013

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle misfired intermittently, shook violently and the check engine light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the PCM needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Valparaiso, IN, USA

Nov 262013

Edge 6-cyl

While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle shuttered and there was a loss of acceleration power. The check engine warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an automotive repair shop where it was diagnosed that the 6 ignition coils, spark plugs and the PCM system needed to be replaced. The current mileage is 97395.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Sep 162013

Edge 6-cyl

Second time a year or so later electrical cooling radiator fan goes out. Replacing again.

- Richardson, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Edge 6-cyl

Electric radiator cooling fan quit. Car overheated. Had to be replaced.

- Richardson, TX, USA