CarComplaints.com Notes: Say what you will about the styling of the Ford Edge, but the bottom line is owners seem to love this vehicle. That is, of course, except in the case of it's dangerous, worrisome and unexplained issues with random engine stalling.

Our data suggests an early defect trend, as owners of the 2007-2008 models have started posting their accounts of what happens when you're driving down the road and the engine just stops. Some at high speed, some at low speed but always a random shutdown of the engine, electrical and power steering.

Time will tell if this becomes a widespread issue, but there's no drying the seriousness of the problem. With that in mind, we're flagging the Edge with our "Beware of the Clunker" rating until the situation improves.

2007 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Ford Edge:

2007 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Apr 252016

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 30 mph, the acceleration decreased even when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The check engine warning indicator flashed. The contact had to pull over to the side of the road to a complete stop. The vehicle was driven to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the vehicle needed a new coil and power control module. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 75,000.

- Novi, MI, USA

Jan 022016

Edge

While driving on a city street and on a state road transmission will act and sound like it is slipping or not engaging in gear and sometimes will only work in reverse.when problem occurs vehicle will lose all power and engine will rev up but vehicle will not move. I have had it towed to dealer and have taken it in to dealer, they say they cannot duplicate the the problem. They also told me that when it happens I need to pull over somewhere safe and shut the car off and let the "computer/ sensors " reset and that will "take care" of the problem. The problem is getting progressively worse as time goes on. I am afraid if this happens in traffic someone is going to get seriously hurt or killed as there is no power to get off the road and out of traffic

- Largo, FL, USA

May 052015

Edge

Highway speed the car suddenly slowed down. Speedometer dropped to zero, information panel went blank, powertrain malfunction/reduced power light came on, airbag front light came on. Pulled car to shoulder as soon as possible and shut key off. Restarted car and everything appeared normal except car had very little power to move until about 10 mph was reached when a hard transmission shift put car into gear and all became fully operational. This happened three times in a one week period of time, always at highway speeds. Subsequent research by independent mechanic indicated this a common problem requiring replacement of two speed sensors in transmission at cost of $629.

- Rocky Mount, MO, USA

Jul 202013

Edge 6-cyl

Vehicle experienced a sudden loss of power and started shaking violently, check engine light came on. Towed to mechanic. Electronic diagnostics codes P0351, P0352, P0354, P0301, P0302, P0316, P0420 bank catalyst below threshold. Performed pin point test on all coils, fuel system, and relative compression. Performed all repairs related to technical service bulletin 12_8_17. After verifying burnt coil and internal driver fault of PCM to coals! replaced all ignition coils, all spark plugs, upper intake gaskets and PCM! used all Ford oe parts.reprogramed PCM and road test to verify all repairs. Cost $2039.29. Verified converter damage related to ignition failure dumping raw fuel through bank 1. replaced original converter, seal, gasket, cleaned all O2 sensors. Cost $704.94.

- Martin, TN, USA

Mar 252015

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle's speed suddenly decreased to approximately 20 mph and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle began to shutter and vibrate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the failure was caused by a faulty PCM, which caused damage to the engine coil packs. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Wilmington , DE, USA

Apr 122014

Edge 6-cyl

The transmission feels like it is in neutral. It jerks like someone has ran into your vehicle with their vehicle. Several warning lights come on. Speedometer goes to zero. If you come to a stop, you may not get going again. Had this checked out and replaced a sensor costing me $425 and less than 2 weeks later, problem occurs again. Had this checked out and now they are hollering another sensor has went bad and this one is going to cost $600. Did not have this one fixed!! also had to have vehicle towed home one time costing even more money....

- Stevenson, AL, USA

Aug 152014

Edge 6-cyl

After stopping at a stop sign, when I pressed the accelerator my 2007 Ford Edge would not go forward (although the engine continued to run). I pulled over to the side of the road and tried several more times unsuccessfully. Not knowing what else to do I pressed hard on the accelerator and it started again. That happened 6 months ago. In the past 3 weeks it has happened 2 more times. Today, it took a different turn. The car shifted with difficulty, the wrench icon lit up on the dashboard and then rode sluggishly til I got home (about 4 miles). I left the car in my driveway for 30 minutes - when I turned it back on the wrench icon was off and the car ran fine. Upon a search on the internet I have found I am not alone with this safety issue. I am also not alone with getting no help from Ford. I would gladly have it repaired but my dealer appears clueless and said they cannot fix it if it doesn't happen when it's at their garage. This is a serious safety problem and feels like playing roulette with my life. I believe I have been lucky so far but who knows what happens if I'm on a highway when the Edge decides to stop. Please help!

- Easton, MD, USA

Nov 152013

Edge 6-cyl

While traveling at a speed of 60 mph down the highway, I lost all power to my Edge. The speedometer went to 0, mileage blanked out, and I had the air bag, wrench & low tire pressure lights came on. When you would go from park to reverse or from park to drive, there would be a big clunking noise and no acceleration. When this first happened you could turn the car off and it would reset after a few minutes. Now you have to unhooked the battery cables and replace them, but this only lasts for a while. It is not a fix. This is still happening to this day. No one we have contacted can tell us the problem. Please help if you can.

- Rinard, IL, USA

Jul 012014

Edge

Driving down interstate highway, speedometer drops to zero then dash lights all come on. Get off highway pull over and car does not move. Wait about 20 minutes, put car in D, hear loud bang, car lunges forward a little then drives normally. Second time it happened was on highway at @60mph when same thing happens, get off highway and stop at 2nd red light when the car does not move at all. Let car sit for @10 min. Then it starts going @10mph, after about 1 mile resumes normal operation. Have brought to local Ford dealer and had 2 sensors replaced along with a transmission fluid exchange but now today it happened again when I stopped at busy back road intersection then tried to resume speed the veh. Would not move. E-mailed local Ford dealer to let them know that issue was happening once again after sensors were replaced. Prior to Ford also had sears look at veh. Where they determined it was a sensor but could not determine which one. Now that the vehicle is back to me it also seems to have alot of hesitation on wanting to go. This vehicle has never seemed to be the best transmission and I have a big concern about how many other people have similar issues with this vehicle. I wonder what would happen to somebody who keeps driving it without getting off the road" I am concerned for the safety of my family, myself, others who own this vehicle, and others on the roadway around these vehicles when there is a problem. The posts I keep seeing all reflect the same issue and all too often they are told that they cannot find anything wrong with the vehicle, will it take a major accident or death for this concern to be addressed" a vehicle should not keep stopping or producing loud bangs after it stops moving and I think there appears to be enough evidence from enough people who have voiced their issues with this problem to warrant immediate action on this matter.

- Warwick, RI, USA

Jun 252014

Edge

Pulling out into traffic and experienced very harsh shifting. The transmission shuttered and shook, almost refusing to go through the intersection.

- Huntington, VT, USA

Jun 152014

Edge

The contact owns a 2007 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle had a loss of power and reduced speed intermittently. The contact made multiple attempts to restart the vehicle and accelerate to no avail. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the computer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired and the failure recurred. The technician stated that the engine coils, catalytic converter and spark plugs had been burned and additional repairs were required. The vehicle was to be repaired by an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

May 142014

Edge 6-cyl

2007 Ford Edge has been shifting gears heavy (especially low) and getting worse. Last week it should have down shifted to 2nd but instead up shifted to like 4 or 5th gear and I lost any real power to get up the hill. The noise itself was a very noticeable bang and shudder. This is apparently happening to other because there's youtube videos of the exact same thing.

- Reno, NV, USA

Sep 282011

Edge 6-cyl

After pulling out onto a highway, my car would not accelerate. The engine didn't stop but pressing gas did not help. Was forced to coast to side, car shuddered, then stalled. After waiting a few, car started. Was able to drive it a mile to a nearby repair shop. We were called and advised it was a transmission issue and due to miles on the car, it should be towed to the nearest dealership (under warranty). Ford service could not reproduce the issue. We were told nothing was wrong & to pick it up. Prior to picking up, we found a tsb that described what we had but were told there was nothing wrong. May 2013, car did same but this time, the wrench light came on. Towed (to another Ford service dealer),& issue was found. Repair made. Not surprisingly, issue was same tsb we pulled in 2011. 7 months later, car shuddered, & stalled again. Only difference with this occurrence is now the engine died. Towed back to dealer. Was informed it was the PCM or main computer which caused the ignition coils to burn up. So, in short, owning this car for 2 years, having towed 3 times for the same issue, all in 3 extremely unsafe conditions, has left me with no choice but to file a complaint. This computer software issue is a major safety concern and based on other comments found online, Ford is not willing to take necessary precautions to prevent what could be a saddening fatal situation. This car is not safe to drive and the service department at Ford is not cooperative in resolving the problem. It is a known issue yet no recall has been made. So heartbreaking to see so many that have had this same problem as me and know that nothing is being done. I am paying for this repair but will turn around and sell the car. Won't be my death! never will I purchase a Ford vehicle. The safety of my family is my utmost concern and should also be Ford's but apparently is not. Thank you.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Mar 192012

Edge

While driving on interstate at a fixed speed of 70mph, the car suddenly accelerated to 80 mph, then slowed down, and reaccelerated. The RPM needle went over to 4000. I had to turn cruise control off. It has occurred several times, but I have noticed that during winter months, it isn't an issue, but when the weather is warm, the problem becomes persistent. Dealership could not find problem so they reset the electronic system. Still had problem.

- Maxton, NC, USA

Mar 202013

Edge

I was driving on a busy freeway in morning traffic and went to accelerate to change lanes B/C exit was coming up - noticed truck just didn't sound right. I floored it and the RPM's shot up to over 4,000 but my speed stayed at around 70. I tapped the brakes and the rpms dropped to right above 0 and my truck started slowing way down quick and I tried giving it more gas but wouldn't go. Then it started shaking and check engine light came on. Luckily I was only in the 2nd lane from outside shoulder and was able to maneuver my truck to the shoulder and turn it off to wait for the tow truck. Had my mechanic check it out and he said the computer has malfunctioned (possibly completely gone out - waiting on him to check it out today) and caused the #4 cylinder not to have any power and that coil is burned. I have no warranty on my truck as I bought it a little over 2yrs ago as certified pre-owned. Called the dealership where I bought and told them there was a tsb issued for this and they acted dumb and said there have been no reported incidents of this happening - they are aware of a throttle issue but not what I described with the check engine light coming on (supposedly it should have been the wrench light).

- Spring, TX, USA

May 012011

Edge 6-cyl

Turned on car, once we put it in drive, could get no forward motion with acceleration, minimal forward motions when we floored it. Put the car in reverse and there was a heavy knock and felt like the engine fell out of the car. We turned off the car, waited a bit and tried again and it drove normally. This has happened a dozen or so times, but recently occurred after I had been driving normally and came to a stop at a light. I tried to accelerate when the light turned green but couldn't go. I put the car in low gear and it moved slowly forward, then after a bit I shifted it back up to normal and the gear engaged again. Scary if you can't move when needed! I am also experiencing a chugging when I accelerate to about 40mph... it stutters.. who knows what that is! I took the car to the dealership and explained my prob. At about 55000 miles... while still under warranty... and they told me they couldn't find a problem. I'm sure that Ford knows about these issues. The decent thing to do would to have a recall and fix it!! Nissan did for my murano. Maybe I'll just go back to a Nissan.

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Feb 092011

Edge

The speedometer went to zero and all the mileage information went blank. The front airbag light, service wrench and shortly there after the tire pressure monitor light came on. I exited the freeway and after stopping for the traffic light the vehicle would not accelerate, but moved slowly apparently stuck in the high gears. The vehicle would not shift up or down. The next stop light the same problem. I parked in a parking lot and recycled the ignition and the mileage information returned. However when I put the vehicle into reverse the transmission began to clunk violently! I then switched to drive and again it clunked violently! I recycled the ignition again and put it into reverse again clunking violently. I again recycled the ignition and put into reverse the vehicle trans clunked moving backwards. I then pulled forward shifting to drive again with a clunk the vehicle moved forward as if still in higher gears. I drove across the parking lot to about 30 mph and braked to a stop it down shifted hard. After that the trans worked to get us home, however the cruise control would not light up on the dash or would not function period. I have taken it to hemborg Ford in norco, ca to check with 59,175 miles on the vehicle. Just two weeks earlier the right rear axle bearing was wining and Ford replaced the bearing

- Norco, CA, USA

Apr 282009

Edge

Cruise control on 2007 Ford Edge does an unexpected acceleration without warning. Has been checked by Ford dealership who is unable to duplicate. Happens on long trips when cruise control has been in use for several miles. Car will automatically accelerate without any warning or changes by driver.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Dec 032007

Edge

Re: Ford Edge turned left into parking lot. Rt rear tire hit curb. Drove straight into parking space almost stopped. Car accelerated, became airborn, made sharp left. 40mpr within 35-40 ft. Hit steel pole/concrete head on. Front & side air bags did not deploy & seat belts did not hold occupants. Believe computer took over after hitting tire. Computer is to bring car into control as if out of control on ice or snow but conditions were dry. Police claim driver stepped on gas instead of brake. Reported to Ford. Ford responded they had no recalls, and were not able to help. Edge was new model & no time had been allowed for recalls. Car repaired after 2 months. Attorneys wanted $50,000 up front to investigate. Owner did not have the finances to continue. 2 years of rehab & recovery with ongoing medical conditions. Ford needs reported/investigated, same as Toyota. Several witnesses.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA