7.6

2. replace door ajar sensor (35 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (28 reports)
  4. spray latch with WD-40 (2 reports)
  5. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (1 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jan 012017

Edge Limited 3.5L

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Last year the door ajar light kept coming on and the inside lights would stay on for a while and finally go off. The sensors made the lights flash and the alarm go off at any given time. I took the car in to the dealership to. be fixed and they said they fixed it and they did for a while. It started doing the same thing again in January.

At first it was hit or miss when I closed the door and now it is whenever the door is opened and closed. The lights stay on in the inside for a while and this is very dangerous at night because you cannot see out or anything around you. So far they finally go off. This has caused the car to alarm with flashing lights and alarming at all times day or night. You have to click the unlock button on the key fob so the alarm and flashing lights will stop. then the lights stay on in the car and on the side mirrors for 15 - 20 minutes. It is eventually going to drain the battery. When you are in the car and the door ajar signal is on it will not let you lock the doors, again dangerous as I always lock my doors. I took the car back to the dealership and they told me the part alone would cost $732. I do not think I should have to pay for a part that was suppose to be fixed to begin with.

This is a common problem evidently with ford vehicles so the problem should be theirs to fix. I have not been able to afford to fix my car and I am afraid it is going to leave me stranded with a dead battery or not be able to stop the flashing lights or the alarms. This needs to be a recall and fix the problem with our vehicles. I love my car and I only have 51,000 miles on it but I will think twice about buying another ford now after reading all the complaints with this one problem. You need to fix the problem with my and the other ford drivers vehicles. This is ridiculous.

- , Lake City, FL, US

Apr 122017

Edge SEL 3.5L

I bought my 2011 Ford Edge in June of 2016 used. Immediately I had door ajar sensor issues. I googled and googled solutions. I tried the WD40 solution even. Took it into a dealship where they confirmed it is the sensor and that it would cost $600 to fix. I said no way and that I'll live with sensor. It keeps my interior lights on for 6 minutes and shuts them off. Car is locked. So I've never really worried too much about it. I should also mention that my door ajar sensor isn't on all the time, it's random and I can't find a pattern. Well, last night it was on. And after being off for hours my interior lights turned back on. So now I'm really annoyed and hope that Ford fixes the problem because I sure as heck am not gonna spend that much to fix a sensor problem that is common in more than just mine vehicle.

- , Washburn, ND, US

Apr 102017

Edge

I shut the door normally and it says driver door ajar. I open and shut the door hard numerous times and eventually the door ajar light will go off. However sometimes it comes on after I start driving. Also the center console lights have not turned off. And the keyless entry pad does not work using the factory code. Is the door latching properly or is it a sensor?

- , Upper Sandusky, OH, US

May 202017

Edge SEL 3.2L

We bought this car used in 2015 from CarMax. Currently the issue is intermittent with the interior dome light staying on and the "door ajar" light coming on although all doors are closed. Our college age son is using the car 4 hrs from home while working over the summer so if issue becomes more of a regular occurrence he will have to take to a Ford dealer for repair which I understand can be costly to fix. So disappointing that Ford is not doing a recall for the owners experiencing this problem.

- , Saint John, US

Nov 012014

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

one door, then a month later both doors, then intermittently. Also inside overhead lights come on enough to blind you at night and stay on for 3-5 minutes before going out.

- , Chantilly, VA, USA

Apr 122017

Edge Limited V6

Door ajar light came on so I had to repeatedly open and close the door. That worked the first 2 times, now it stays on all the time!! I hear this complaint from other Ford owners. Ford should have a recall!!

- , Inglewood, US

Feb 152017

Edge Limited

Due to the door switch, I can't lock my car with the fear of the alarm going off. My battery has gone dead. Driving with the lights on in the day is not a problem but at night it's bad.

- , Portage, MI, US

Mar 132017

Edge SE 3.5L V6

I actually love this vehicle. I work at the only full service mechanics shop in the county here, and we literally never work on these vehicles. The only problem I have heard is with the door latch. Usually it just comes on when you first start the vehicle, after you put it in gear and hit 10 m.p.h., the interior lights will usually go out and you can actually see where your going again. The other night though, they came on while driving and wouldn't go off. I ended up stopping the car shutting it off and restarting it just to get the interior lights to go out. Had it happened during the day it wouldn't have been a problem. But since it happened at night while raining it was a problem since I couldn't see out, especially when meeting oncoming traffic. The other time it is a problem, is when back out of a parking spot after dark. With the interior lights on it can be potentially dangerous since you can't see smaller objects or kids behind you. If it decides that your doors are open (even though there not), its raining, and after dark, you better just hope you do not need to back up. If you do good luck, its only a guessing game.

- , Shady Dale, US

Apr 022017

Edge UT V6

The auto ajar light comes on even when the door is closed, this is an issue because my doors don't lock, the lights in the interior remain on for a while and this is going to kill my battery. The estimate to fix it is about $400, really expensive for what seems to be a glitch in the car system.

- , La Crescenta, US

Sep 012015

Edge Limited V6

Door sensor light is always on for driver and rear passenger doors. Interior lights went on initially until I removed chip. Now I have no interior lights that go on when the door is open, but at least it does not drain the battery as much. However outside sensor lights go on and off constantly all day and night I refuse to pay the outrageous cost to fix sensor so we live with it but it's very annoying.

- , Dana Point, CA, US

Feb 082017

Edge

For the past 1-2 months the passenger door ajar light won't go off. When it first started happening, it was intermittent, but now it won't go off at all. We've tried cleaning it, and sometimes that helps for a little bit (less than a day), but now it's constant and nothing helps. With this problem the overhead lights stay on which in turn will eventually drain the battery.

- , Hamilton, OH, US

Dec 052016

Edge Sport V6

MY DRIVER SIDE PASSENGER DOOR IS ALWAYS SHOWING STILL OPEN WHENEVER I OPEN IT. I TRY TO ELIMINATE PEOPLE FROM GETTING IN ON THAT SIDE BUT THAT'S A HASSLE AND EMBARRASSING. WHENEVER I OPEN THE DOOR AND CLOSE IT BACK THE LIGHTS (DOME) INSIDE CAR STAY ON AND THE INDICATOR STATES DOOR IS OPEN. IT TAKES ME SEVERAL TIMES OF OPENING AND CLOSING THE DOOR BEFORE IT WILL GO OUT.

- , Stone Mountain, GA, US

Sep 122016

Edge SEL 3.5L Duratek

We paid cash up front for the repair because there had been no official recall. Now we find it has been an ongoing problem with other vehicles. All we are asking is reimbursement for what we have already paid.

- , Great Falls, MT, US

Feb 202017

Edge SE V6

As if my driver door wasn't enough, now my passenger door light won't shut off. So, now I absolutely can't lock my doors and another light draining my battery. It is way to costly to get fixed and with over 100K miles, no warranty coverage. I just don't understand why this problem hasn't been recalled. Can't wait to get rid of this car.

- , Houston, TX, US

Jan 012016

Edge Limited

Dont even get me started on this. Shortly after i got the edge. My warning light kept coming on saying door ajar. Eventually it led to two dead batteries. I was stranded twice with a dead battery in Alabama heat. I would get out of my car lock my door, unbenown to me hours later i would notice my lightsi in my car on. So i finally figured out that when it would say my door was ajar the lights in the car would not go off. So it was killing my battery.

Took it to the dealer and after buying a almost 2000 warranty found out none of my issues were covered under warranty. What a crock!

finally had to break the sensor so now i have no door light on that side. I couldnt keep letting my lights run and battery die.

- , Slocomb, US

May 052016

Edge V6

Passanger door latch fails, interior lights will not shut off because it thinks the door is open. The automatic locks do not work because it thinks the door is open. Door has come open because the latch fails! Ford has tons of complaints but no recalls....

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 072016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

I've had this problem since we bought this car in 2012. First time, the case was still under warranty and my local dealership claimed they fixed. However, the same exact problem on the same door occurred again weeks after warranty expired.

This problem has without a doubt caused at least 2 dead batteries. Not to mention the aggravation of the door adjar light never going out.

- , Tornado, WV, USA

Sep 242015

Edge Limited 3.5lV6

The door ajar sensor makes the lights stay on which eventually kills your battery, sometimes it would come on while driving, at night it was quite dangerous, had to pull over and remove the light bulb, its really annoying, I saw a few videos and read topics online, spray the sensor make it move with a screwdriver but all those are only temporary solutions, there's is a lot of angry owners out there and its a security concern, Ford HAS to do something about this.

- , Brockton, MA, US

Dec 062014

Edge SEL 3.5L

Lasted awhile, and now its been back for several months. Why bother to fix it when it will just happen again at $300+ a pop?

- , Chantilly, VA, US

Nov 012016

Edge

The driver's side door "door ajar" sensor does not work in my 2011 Ford Edge. The car reacts two ways due to this problem:

1. The car acts as if the door doesn't exist, in which the car interior lights don't turn on when the door is open. The "door ajar" light does not come on in the car and therefore is relatively normal while driving. Once the car is turned off, the passenger side door has to be opened for the screen and lights to turn off. The automatic locks to unlock the car do not work when the driver's side door is opened (i.e. have to unlock using the door button).

2. The car acts as if the door is open and so the car's "door ajar" light is on. When this occurs, the interior lights stay on for a period of time, even after the car has been running/driven. When driving at night this makes seeing difficult and at times unsafe. The doors will not lock after the car is turned on if the "door ajar" light is on, once again making the car feel unsafe, especially when it is dark. Once turning off the car after driving it with the "door ajar" light on, the interior lights stay on for 10-15 minutes and will also come on intermittently after the car has been off for long periods of time. The lights going on and off cause the battery to drain, which leads to a dead battery (this has happened several times--I now own a solar panel battery charger that I leave plugged in at all times, though the battery has still died when using the charger).

After researching option for repair, it seems that most people had to pay a large amount of money for the sensor to be repaired/replaced--I have not taken the car to a dealership as I don't have money to pay for an expensive repair at this time. I have also found online that this is a problem many 2011 Ford Edges have, which I believe should be taken care of by the Ford company, as the sensor is obviously faulty.

- , Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA