7.7

2. replace door ajar sensor (34 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (26 reports)
  4. spray latch with WD-40 (2 reports)
  5. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (1 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Feb 082017

Edge

For the past 1-2 months the passenger door ajar light won't go off. When it first started happening, it was intermittent, but now it won't go off at all. We've tried cleaning it, and sometimes that helps for a little bit (less than a day), but now it's constant and nothing helps. With this problem the overhead lights stay on which in turn will eventually drain the battery.

- , Hamilton, OH, US

Dec 052016

Edge Sport V6

MY DRIVER SIDE PASSENGER DOOR IS ALWAYS SHOWING STILL OPEN WHENEVER I OPEN IT. I TRY TO ELIMINATE PEOPLE FROM GETTING IN ON THAT SIDE BUT THAT'S A HASSLE AND EMBARRASSING. WHENEVER I OPEN THE DOOR AND CLOSE IT BACK THE LIGHTS (DOME) INSIDE CAR STAY ON AND THE INDICATOR STATES DOOR IS OPEN. IT TAKES ME SEVERAL TIMES OF OPENING AND CLOSING THE DOOR BEFORE IT WILL GO OUT.

- , Stone Mountain, GA, US

Sep 122016

Edge SEL 3.5L Duratek

We paid cash up front for the repair because there had been no official recall. Now we find it has been an ongoing problem with other vehicles. All we are asking is reimbursement for what we have already paid.

- , Great Falls, MT, US

Feb 202017

Edge SE V6

As if my driver door wasn't enough, now my passenger door light won't shut off. So, now I absolutely can't lock my doors and another light draining my battery. It is way to costly to get fixed and with over 100K miles, no warranty coverage. I just don't understand why this problem hasn't been recalled. Can't wait to get rid of this car.

- , Houston, TX, US

Jan 012016

Edge Limited

Dont even get me started on this. Shortly after i got the edge. My warning light kept coming on saying door ajar. Eventually it led to two dead batteries. I was stranded twice with a dead battery in Alabama heat. I would get out of my car lock my door, unbenown to me hours later i would notice my lightsi in my car on. So i finally figured out that when it would say my door was ajar the lights in the car would not go off. So it was killing my battery.

Took it to the dealer and after buying a almost 2000 warranty found out none of my issues were covered under warranty. What a crock!

finally had to break the sensor so now i have no door light on that side. I couldnt keep letting my lights run and battery die.

- , Slocomb, US

May 052016

Edge V6

Passanger door latch fails, interior lights will not shut off because it thinks the door is open. The automatic locks do not work because it thinks the door is open. Door has come open because the latch fails! Ford has tons of complaints but no recalls....

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Oct 072016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

I've had this problem since we bought this car in 2012. First time, the case was still under warranty and my local dealership claimed they fixed. However, the same exact problem on the same door occurred again weeks after warranty expired.

This problem has without a doubt caused at least 2 dead batteries. Not to mention the aggravation of the door adjar light never going out.

- , Tornado, WV, USA

Sep 242015

Edge Limited 3.5lV6

The door ajar sensor makes the lights stay on which eventually kills your battery, sometimes it would come on while driving, at night it was quite dangerous, had to pull over and remove the light bulb, its really annoying, I saw a few videos and read topics online, spray the sensor make it move with a screwdriver but all those are only temporary solutions, there's is a lot of angry owners out there and its a security concern, Ford HAS to do something about this.

- , Brockton, MA, US

Dec 062014

Edge SEL 3.5L

Lasted awhile, and now its been back for several months. Why bother to fix it when it will just happen again at $300+ a pop?

- , Chantilly, VA, US

Nov 012016

Edge

The driver's side door "door ajar" sensor does not work in my 2011 Ford Edge. The car reacts two ways due to this problem:

1. The car acts as if the door doesn't exist, in which the car interior lights don't turn on when the door is open. The "door ajar" light does not come on in the car and therefore is relatively normal while driving. Once the car is turned off, the passenger side door has to be opened for the screen and lights to turn off. The automatic locks to unlock the car do not work when the driver's side door is opened (i.e. have to unlock using the door button).

2. The car acts as if the door is open and so the car's "door ajar" light is on. When this occurs, the interior lights stay on for a period of time, even after the car has been running/driven. When driving at night this makes seeing difficult and at times unsafe. The doors will not lock after the car is turned on if the "door ajar" light is on, once again making the car feel unsafe, especially when it is dark. Once turning off the car after driving it with the "door ajar" light on, the interior lights stay on for 10-15 minutes and will also come on intermittently after the car has been off for long periods of time. The lights going on and off cause the battery to drain, which leads to a dead battery (this has happened several times--I now own a solar panel battery charger that I leave plugged in at all times, though the battery has still died when using the charger).

After researching option for repair, it seems that most people had to pay a large amount of money for the sensor to be repaired/replaced--I have not taken the car to a dealership as I don't have money to pay for an expensive repair at this time. I have also found online that this is a problem many 2011 Ford Edges have, which I believe should be taken care of by the Ford company, as the sensor is obviously faulty.

- , Rancho Palos Verdes, CA, USA

Mar 062017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

The door ajar light is staying on after closing the door, or coming on while driving, and staying on after exiting vehicle. This is causing the dome light and dashboard light to stay on/come on while driving and draining battery when parked.

- , Saint Marys, GA, US

Mar 062017

Edge Limited

THE DOOR AJAR LIGHTS STAY ON, ESPECIALLY THE REAR DOORS WHERE MY KIDS SIT! I MAKE MY SON SIT IN THE MIDDLE SEAT BECAUSE I DO NOT TRUST AND CANNOT TELL IF THE DOORS ARE ACTUALLY LATCHING OR NOT! SECOND, ALREADY REPLACED BATTERY NUMEROUS TIMES, CANNOT SET MY ALARM OR LOCK MY DOORS. IF I TRY TO SET ALARM WITH INTERIOR LIGHTS ON, I GET WOKE UP ALL HOURS OF THE NIGHT WITH THE ALARM GOING OFF, WHICH IS PULLING ON THE BATTERY AS WELL.

I WENT OUT OF TOWN THIS PAST FRIDAY FOR THE WEEKEND, LEAVING MY CAR AT HOME IN THE GARAGE. CAME HOME AND GOT READY FOR WORK MONDAY AND GUESS WHAT MY CAR BATTERY DEAD!!! ALL BECAUSE OF THESE STUPID LIGHTS AND PROBABLY THE ALARM GOING OFF WHILE WE WERE GONE. MY NEIGHBORS HAVE CALLED NUMEROUS TIMES WHILE WE ARE NOT HOME SAYING 'YOUR CAR ALARM GOING OFF"!!! CAN'T SEE AT NIGHT WITH THE INTERIOR LIGHTS STAYING ON WHILE TRYING TO DRIVE!

FORD NEEDS TO FIX THIS AND FAST, OTHERWISE I SEE A CLASS ACTION SUIT IN THE NEAR FUTURE!!!!!!! LET MY CAR GET STOLEN BY ME NOT ABLE TO LOCK THE DOORS OR SET ALARM, OR MY KIDS FALL OUT OF A DOOR, I WILL OWN YOU!

- , pearl, MS, US

Jun 072016

Edge Limted 3.5L

I had to deal with three times. I personally think this is a bunch of bullshit and Ford needs to make it right. They need to do a recall and fix this the correct way. My first Ford and it will be my last Ford!!!!!!

Dec 262012

Edge Limted 3.5L

This has happen to me three times now. This is a bunch of bullshit! Ford needs to do a recall on this and fix it right! This is my first Ford and it will be my last!!!!!!!!!!

Mar 032017

Edge Limted 3.5L

Currently waiting to hear what Ford has to say about this. I have had this happen to me three times now. I personally think this is ridiculous. Ford needs to make this right and fix it the correct way once and for all!!!!!!!!!!!

Sep 152015

Edge SE 3.5L

Very bad problem. Doors will not lock. Very unsafe. When you try to lock doors they do not lock.

- , Lake Charles, US

Jan 032017

Edge Limited 3.5L

Recently I have purchased a 2011 ford edge. Well about a month after, I was driving down the road and my door ajar light came on. So I pull over, open the door shut it and it goes off. So I, continue driving. Note I'm the only person in the car. The passenger door ajar light comes on and I'm like, 'what'? So I call the dealer and they explain to me that the problem is under evaluation and they can't do anything about it until it is recalled. Except fix it for 600 dollars. So I'm like whatever. SO FORD GET IT TOGETHER.

- , Chestertown, MD, US

Mar 012016

Edge SE V6

It is very annoying since I know the doors are shut, but the lights won't go off. Every time I get in the car, I get door chimes and the lights won't shut off for a while. I can't lock my doors, which is unsafe. In addition, I get constant calls and visits from neighbors to let me know my lights are on in my car, which I can do nothing about. Last, but not least, I have had to replace my battery more than once because the light being on drains my battery. It was bad enough with the driver door, and now the passenger door too. This is ridiculous especially since I am one of many with this problem. Not to mention, this took place back in 2014 when I did have coverage and it was supposedly fixed, than 2 years later the same problem, but no coverage and now on both doors.

- , Houston, TX, US

Feb 202017

Edge

out of the blue door ajar light is staying on after closing the door, or coming on while driving, and staying on after exiting vehicle. This is causing the dome light and dashboard light to stay on/come on while driving and draining battery when parked.

- , North Canton, US

Apr 062016

Edge ES 3.5L

doors wont lock,,,, interior lights stay on and run down battery!!

- , Valparaiso, US