2011 Ford Edge electrical problems: door ajar light stays on

Door Ajar Light Stays On

2011 Ford Edge (Page 1 of 8)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.6

2. replace door ajar sensor (39 reports)
  3. replace door latch assembly (29 reports)
  4. dealer sent electrical pauses through latch (2 reports)
  5. spray latch with WD-40 (2 reports)
  6. clean contact (1 reports)
2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 8)

Aug 012017

Edge

My 2011 Edge had the much discussed door ajar issue. I was able to hopefully fix it with some electrical contact clean, a can of compressed air and a good penetrating lubricant, NOT WD-40 (I used Seafoam's Deep Creep ) First, use the compressed air to loosen any debris, then use the contact clean on the sensor. Use the compressed air a second time to dry. Lastly, use the penetrating lubricant. Been almost 3 weeks, no issue. Fingers crossed, hope this helps.

- , Exeter, ON, Canada

Edge Limited 3.2L

Door switch issue causes alarm to go off. Getting more frequent and is extremely annoying. Caused battery to die if not home to hear the alarm. Neighbors are not very happy either.

- , Townsend, US

Jun 272017

Edge SEL 3.2L V6

Door is not open yet door ajar light is always on.

- , Saint Charles, US

Mar 132003

Edge ES 3.2L

This was the first issue with the door ajar sensor, so it was annoying, but no big deal because it was covered under the warranty. Not the end of the story because it has happened 2 more times. See other complaints filed....

May 012015

Edge ES 3.2L

2nd time with this issue so I was extremely annoyed. Again I was advised this was covered under warranty and advised this would be fixed. This would not be the last time with this issue.....on to my third complaint.

Feb 122016

Edge ES 3.2L

This is my third time dealing with this door ajar issue. This time both driver and passenger side are malfunctioning. I have taken it to 2 Ford dealerships and have been quoted $800+, which I do not have. The dome light stays on which drains my battery and makes it extremely hard to back out of anywhere at night. The doors will not lock, which is a safety hazard and extremely scary for myself. I even called Ford to see if they would do anything, which was a complete waste of time. They spoke with me, gave me a case #, advised me to take it to the dealership to have a mechanic look at it, only to deny the case when the mechanic called them back. I am extremely disappointed with this situation and will never purchase another Ford vehicle!

Jun 102016

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

After over 3 separate appointments lasting over 12 hours the problem has not been resolved. The latch assembly was replaced and did not solve the problem so they thought that the latch assemble was faulty. I reordered the latch assembly and then brought the car in again. The latch assembly was installed and still the problem remained. The service center I was at gave up and told me that they didn't know what else to do. They only charged me $350 (plus I paid another 175.00 for the latch assembly). I have continued to drive the car this way as the Ford dealership wants to charge a diagnostic fee ($125.00 approx.) and said the problem could be as much as $600.00 or more to fix!

- , Auburn Hills, MI 48326-2255, MI, US

Mar 012016

Edge Limited 3.6L

door ajar light stays on when door is closed. thousands of other similar complaints. Besides the interior lights staying on for the first 20 seconds at night when driving (which impedes my vision) this malfunction also causes the alarm to go off when I lock my car in a parking garage. Even though the car is supposed to be locked the sensor indicates that it is open and the alarm goes off. Consequently, I'm sometimes forced to leave my car open to avoid the embarrassment of neighbors and people parked near me.

- , LaSalle, ON, Canada

Jun 222017

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

This is what the dealer has said is wrong. Parts and labor to fix the door latch switch and connect to a computer is going to be close to 600 dollars. This has happened before and was told the alternator had a internal short and was the regulator. I think Ford should fixed by Ford after over 1500 complaints!!!

- , Saint James, US

Edge SEL V6

My vehicle has had 2 different doors with the "door ajar" indicator light so the car has constantly had the lights on and off based on these indicators. My battery has finally died which left me stranded. Luckily, I got the car jumped and now waiting to hear from the mechanic shop on cost to fix. They said they have seen this complaint a lot in this model, so my question is why hasn't this been recalled?? They aren't even sure they can fix it and I may need to take it to a Ford dealership.

- , Louisville, US

Jun 012017

Edge Limited V6

It's ridiculous not to be able to shut the door without the light going off. I don't feel safe and neither does my children. Why is this not a recall if so many are having the same problem?

- , Orlando, FL, US

Apr 012017

Edge

Drivers side door switch appears to be stuck open. I've tried using WD-40 with limited results. The switch is embedded in the door lock assembly and buried in the door making repair/replacement expensive. Currently just tolerating the problems. The overhead lights stay on until you drive a short distance, and the doors can't be locked while driving. Very poor design.

- , Gilbert, AZ, US

May 122017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

If this is a KNOWN probably with Ford, there needs to be a recall sent out.

- , Fayetteville, AR, US

Edge

Needs to be recalled. What a rip, they want $300 to fix, that is unreasonable.

- , Wheatland, WY, US

May 162017

Edge

The door ajar sensor no longer is working. Says my vehicle has the driver door open even when it is closed. It is causing issues with my battery due to the dome light staying on. It also will not stay locked, whenever I hit the lock button it automatically unlocks itself. There have been multiple complaints by drivers but Ford still has not issued a recall for the issue.

- , Lexington, US

Jan 012017

Edge Limited 3.5L

I have a 2011 Ford Edge Limited. Last year the door ajar light kept coming on and the inside lights would stay on for a while and finally go off. The sensors made the lights flash and the alarm go off at any given time. I took the car in to the dealership to. be fixed and they said they fixed it and they did for a while. It started doing the same thing again in January.

At first it was hit or miss when I closed the door and now it is whenever the door is opened and closed. The lights stay on in the inside for a while and this is very dangerous at night because you cannot see out or anything around you. So far they finally go off. This has caused the car to alarm with flashing lights and alarming at all times day or night. You have to click the unlock button on the key fob so the alarm and flashing lights will stop. then the lights stay on in the car and on the side mirrors for 15 - 20 minutes. It is eventually going to drain the battery. When you are in the car and the door ajar signal is on it will not let you lock the doors, again dangerous as I always lock my doors. I took the car back to the dealership and they told me the part alone would cost $732. I do not think I should have to pay for a part that was suppose to be fixed to begin with.

This is a common problem evidently with ford vehicles so the problem should be theirs to fix. I have not been able to afford to fix my car and I am afraid it is going to leave me stranded with a dead battery or not be able to stop the flashing lights or the alarms. This needs to be a recall and fix the problem with our vehicles. I love my car and I only have 51,000 miles on it but I will think twice about buying another ford now after reading all the complaints with this one problem. You need to fix the problem with my and the other ford drivers vehicles. This is ridiculous.

- , Lake City, FL, US

Apr 122017

Edge SEL 3.5L

I bought my 2011 Ford Edge in June of 2016 used. Immediately I had door ajar sensor issues. I googled and googled solutions. I tried the WD40 solution even. Took it into a dealship where they confirmed it is the sensor and that it would cost $600 to fix. I said no way and that I'll live with sensor. It keeps my interior lights on for 6 minutes and shuts them off. Car is locked. So I've never really worried too much about it. I should also mention that my door ajar sensor isn't on all the time, it's random and I can't find a pattern. Well, last night it was on. And after being off for hours my interior lights turned back on. So now I'm really annoyed and hope that Ford fixes the problem because I sure as heck am not gonna spend that much to fix a sensor problem that is common in more than just mine vehicle.

- , Washburn, ND, US

Apr 102017

Edge

I shut the door normally and it says driver door ajar. I open and shut the door hard numerous times and eventually the door ajar light will go off. However sometimes it comes on after I start driving. Also the center console lights have not turned off. And the keyless entry pad does not work using the factory code. Is the door latching properly or is it a sensor?

- , Upper Sandusky, OH, US

May 202017

Edge SEL 3.2L

We bought this car used in 2015 from CarMax. Currently the issue is intermittent with the interior dome light staying on and the "door ajar" light coming on although all doors are closed. Our college age son is using the car 4 hrs from home while working over the summer so if issue becomes more of a regular occurrence he will have to take to a Ford dealer for repair which I understand can be costly to fix. So disappointing that Ford is not doing a recall for the owners experiencing this problem.

- , Saint John, US

Nov 012014

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

one door, then a month later both doors, then intermittently. Also inside overhead lights come on enough to blind you at night and stay on for 3-5 minutes before going out.

- , Chantilly, VA, USA