2011 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 23 of 24)

Apr 092013

Edge 6-cyl

2011 Ford Edge, I am the first owner and bought this car new. At approx 2000 miles after the 36K mile warranty expired the drivers door latch switch is messed up. The door will be shutand the system still shows it ajar which causes the interior light to stay on for 5 plus minutes. Even while driving the door closed and no warnings the switch will malfunction at night and cause the interior (white) lights to come on. This is a hazzard at night (safety)!!!! I have contacted the local Ford and they give me the run around and do not want to cover their defect!! there are more than 7 documented cases on here and even my service advisor said that these year and model are notorius for this problem but Ford does not cover! service manager said he has never heard of it (bs). Bottom line.... if you will not cover your product I will not buy your cheap product!! looks like Toyota will get my business from now on since they cover their product !! this is a safety issue especially for night driving and battery life (stranded on road).

- San Diego, CA, USA

Apr 012012

2011 Ford Edge the driver side door ajar sensor started intermittently and now permanently malfunctionsand warning light illuminates. This causes the automatic door locks to malfunctionand the doors to unlock. Additionalythe interior dome light stays onfor extended times the inability to lock the doors or for the doors to stay locked is a safty issue, the dome light obscures vision at night which is another safety issue. I and thousands of Ford Edge owners would appreciate Ford moter company takeing responsibility for this factory defect and safety hazard. This is not a factory warranty issue Ford is aware of this problem but refuses to fix. I have searched the worldwidenet and found this to be a problem wit many Ford models. Please address this issue asap befor someone is mamed or has ther life taken. Thank

- Oklahoma City , OK, USA

Apr 292013

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the custom software routine was not reading the correct set of characters, and was not able to identify a BCM. As a result, an electrical short developed and the body control module would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact was then informed of a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign number: 11V128000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was notified but stated that the VIN was not included in the recall. The failure and current mileage was 47,000.

- Oxford, MS, USA

Apr 242013

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar warning light -the drivers door ajar warning will pop on while driving turning on the interior lights. Especially dangerous at night. Multiple reports of this same issue with the drivers door latch specifically on 2011 Ford Edges. Extremely dangerous. Also the light will not go off when the car is parked and that causes the battery to run down because it will stay on at lease 5 minutes after the car is parked, the door is closed and the key is removed.

- Bluffton, SC, USA

Apr 012013

I purchased a certified used 2011 Ford Edge in January 2013. Shortly thereafter, I started noticing some major issues. 1) the transmission whines at low speeds, until I accelerate & it shifts up a few gears. I have also had it slip & clunk while shifting gears 2) there is a loud popping from the front end, passenger side, when I am turning, especially in & out of parking spots 3) there is a whistle coming from under the SUV, between the driver side doors & it does it in accessory mode or when the SUV is running. I have now had it back at the dealer for the 3rd time & they are working with Ford on diagnosing the issues. It is very disheartening to spend so much money for a vehicle & have such issues. Thankfully it is certified & under warranty. The dealership has been good about getting me a loaner vehicle too. But I almost am ready to ask them to trade me out of it, because I am sick of dealing with the issues. It is embarrassing to have such a nice looking "new" vehicle & when people ride with me, they notice all the things wrong & say I got a bad deal.

- Foxhome, MN, USA

Dec 032012

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar warning light will not go away when closing the drivers door and occasionally pops on while driving turning on the interior lights. Especially dangerous at night. Multiple reports of this same issue with the drivers door latch specifically on 2011 Ford Edges. In order for the door to close and not have the door ajar warning light come on the driver must loosen the latch before closing the door. Even if one does this, it does not guarantee that it would not pop on while driving. Extremely dangerous.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Nov 022012

Edge 6-cyl

2011 Ford Edge the driver side door ajar sensor intermittently malfunctions and warning light illuminates. This causes the automatic door locks to malfunction and the doors to unlock. Additionally the interior dome lights stays on for extended times the inability to lock the donors or for the doors to stay locked is a safety issue. I would like Ford to accept responsibility for this problem. I paid for this repair as the vehicle was no longer under warranty. This however is a quality and safety issue and has nothing do with how the vehicle was used or maintained.

- Dover, NJ, USA

Nov 242012

Edge 6-cyl

Two weeks ago my Ford Edge limited (2011), which I had for less than 2 years and it had ~21000mi, started to have serious problems. While driving on one of the busiest highways in houston, the acceleration suddenly disappeared (gas pedal went limp) when I was going 65-70mph. The car still had power and I was able to break and steer to the emergency lane. While doing that, almost got hit from the back twice. After complete stop at emergency lane, I restarted the car. It started fine, and I was able to get home, though I was afraid to take a highway. Next day, same problem happened twice, and both times at about the same speed. These times, however, I felt strong vibrations when restarting the engine. All of the times, an orange wrench appeared on the dashboard indicating power train problems. After the second time, a light indicating that engine needs to be serviced soon also appeared. This light turned off on its own couple days later. I had plenty of problems with this car before. This was the last point when my patience with this car had ended. Besides, I could get into a serious accident. Luckily, all of the times I was driving after the rush hour and traffic was not too bad. Otherwise, I would be definitely be hit by someone. In any case, I brought the car to the dealership and traded it in. No wonder, I was told in the dealership that they are not aware of any problems like this and offered servicing the car. I refused it, because of multiple problems I had with this car before and just didn't want to keep it anymore. Ford definitely needs to recall 2011 Ford Edge with such problems. I will call them and complaint to them as well. For now, I would recommend people not to buy 2011 Ford Edge as it has so many issues, especially with electrical wiring/components and sync. This was the most expensive and most unreliable car I've ever had.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jun 152011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while parked the contact noticed the sync technology on the touch screen was not functioning properly affecting the air conditioner, radio, cell phone sync, and navigation system. The contact stated he was constantly distracted and looking away from the road to cancel or switch functions on the screen. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing fourteen different times. The technician performed various software updates and replaced the computer three different times but the failure continued. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 200.

- Lafayette, CA, USA

Jan 272011

Edge 6-cyl

I purchased my 2011 Ford Edge in December of 2010 and have not had a day when there hasn't been a problem with with either the sync or sirius system. I have had my auto serviced six separate times and still have issues. Among these six visits, four involved either recalls or "full flash reprograms, " in addition to the major software update with the usb Ford sent out. Currently my radio suddenly switches bands, or presets malfunction, and my radio won't turn off without a complicated series of screen adjustments. Also when this happens my memory seat function is disabled and no longer works. I consider these problems not merely cosmetic, but functional safety issues since the service department cannot figure out how the radio/sync issues affect the memory seat function and thus could ultimately affect a more critical auto function and these occur while driving which has caused me momentary disorientation.

- Davie, FL, USA

Feb 272012

I purchased a new Ford 2011 Ford Edge in July of 2010 and was extremely pleased with the performance of the car and the sync system. As the end of the year neared, the sync system started acting very erratic, bluetooth disconnecting, navigation sd card failure, maps extremely slow to load and when the car was shutoff the sync did not power down. On then next power up, it would disable bluetooth and not allow navigation system to load. There was a new software update available Feb 2012 that according to the description would solve all these issues. After finally getting it to load on a usb stick from the sync site after multiple tries, I got it done. Also contacted for sync service and they said there are known issues with the download from the sync site. Software was loaded sucessfully in the car and alas, it seemed all my problems were cured....for about 2 days and now the navigation system continues to try loading and then displays sd card fault, really handy when you use this for work. I've been in contact with Ford and they admit there is a software bug in the last release...working for an electronics company, I would say there wasn't much validation done. They said it would be a month before a fix is in place and will mail everyone new sd cards. What a joke! maybe Ford should call apple instead of microsoft.

- Auburn, IL, USA

Dec 052011

Edge 6-cyl

Purchased my 2011 Edge limited Dec. 2010, had intermittent sync problems starting approx June 2011. Did an upgrade off the sync my ride website in Nov 2011 and that started all the sync problems. They include: Navigation failure while on a trip, that was fun, being lost with 2 cars of family following us. Backup camera works or not, depends on the day. Dashboard lights blinking on & off while driving, bluetooth disconnecting my phone almost everyday. The sync system likes to turn off, black screen, resets itself without doing anything except turning the car on! sometimes when I leave the car the sync system & radio will stay on even after I lock the car. 2X it has gone to the dealer, 2X I get the car back & am told I have to deal with it as there is no fix to the glitch in the system. So, 42K for a new car, also purchased an extended warranty, when all warranty's are expired who will pay for Ford "glitch"? I will never recommend this car to anyone.

- Bushkill, PA, USA

Jan 262012

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated the vehicle was equipped with a sync system which controlled the satellite radio, gps navigation, touch screen feature and other functions. While driving various speeds the satellite radio, gps navigation and touch screen feature would not operate. There were also other functions which would not operate within the sync system. The failures were sporadic and a distraction when driving. The voice command would continuously activate whenever the vehicle was in operation which became annoying. There was a recall related to the defect under NHTSA campaign id number 11V128000 (electrical system: Software). The dealer stated the part was not currently being produced and they were unable to provide any additional information regarding the arrival date for the recall part. The technician advised the contact to disconnect the battery whenever a failure occurred within the sync system and then reconnect after waiting five minutes. The vehicle was been taken to an authorized dealer three times for the similar defect. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact expressed concern of a potential safety hazard. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Pendergrass, GA, USA

Jun 012011

Edge 6-cyl

Twice after backing up and shifting the car from reverse to drive, the car stalled/shut off. The first time it occurred after backing onto a busy street. While pushing on the gas with no forward movement, I saw a message displayed in the dash that the car must be in park to start. I was extremely lucky that in that instance I had enough time to start the vehicle and move prior to traffic reaching me as it occurred on a busy street. The approximate date for the first occurrence was in June of 2011. The second was on July 5, 2011, with approximately 2,450 miles. On November 3, 2011, and November 29, 2011, my cars battery died resulting in needing to call Ford roadside assistance to tow it to the dealer. Prior to that, I twice had a battery saver message displayed after I shut off my car, although everything was off. While at the dealer the second time it happened, the battery died for the third time after approximately 8 hours. The battery test always reported that the battery was okay. After a week at the shop they were still unable to determine the cause. Two times my vehicle would not recognize that I had the key in my possession within the vehicle and therefore would not start. I do not know if all of these issues are possibly interconnected with the computer system.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

Jul 032011

Edge 6-cyl

The navigation is probably the most user unfriendly unit we have ever used and have written three times to correct the bad information in it; I.e. takes you to the wrong location. A navigational system that cannot be trusted is worse than not having one at all. There are many problems with this navigation system in addition to the other 'sensor safety goodies on this vehicle. The bliss is a safety hazard; worthless. My sync system keeps blanking out (referred to by everyone as the ¿black screen) or a screen that locks up and will not perform any function whatsoever. When researching this vehicle I found information on this problem as early as 2008. I printed all the information to show the salesman. I handed him 40 pages of information on the ¿black screen and asked if this is still a problem he said no. We purchased the 2011 Ford Edge limited with all the goodies. Now and since the last round we experienced the ¿locked screen again which required another trip to our Ford dealer. By the way we received no paper work on the repair. We have over 15K miles on the vehicle now and have had experienced this problem numerous times. The navigation and the bliss systems are not only worthless but safety hazards. A $42,000 mistake"? shame on Ford for continuing on selling this product and our government for letting them do so - ever wonder why the consumer lost their faith??? Ford - really"

- Cudahy, WI, USA

Mar 292011

Edge 6-cyl

Various problems with sync/computer screen in car - side warning car coming lights go on for no reason, screen goes dark and black box appears in center including when in reverse thus blanking out center visual field of back up camera (see cameron gulbransen transportation Safety Act Feb 2008). All this began after Ford recall program 10B20 done March 29, 2011. It worked perfectly prior to that time. Car was brought back to dealer ap 2, ap 21, ap 27, May 5-9 and Aug 2 2011 for same issues. Computer works for short time then problems start again. I do have a photo in my phone of the black screen happening which was shown to the dealer. It is often too unsafe to drive and take a photo at the same time to collect better evidence of episodes so I only have a couple of photos that came out clearly. Also various other problems- phone suddenly unsyncs itself while driving - I made a call then tried to make a second call a few moments later and it had disconnected from car including all 911 service. While driving on road with no other cars nor objects, suddenly began ringing alarm and flashing that cars were coming from the sides and there was no one on either side and no wind nor rain. While at dealer past 3 times, detroit home office was called by the dealer for further advice by dealer.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Mar 252011

Purchased a 2011 Ford Edge with sync and my Ford touch after the 3rd time the dealer finally upgraded the system on the with the 4th visit with an update, only had the car back less then a week and now the entire system crashed nothing works and I mean nothing took it back to the dealer and was told there is nothing they can do except wait for Ford to come out with a fix. Spent over 40,000 for a lemon and a dealer that does not care. Does anyone have any ideas that could help me out will be greatly appreciated.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Jan 252011

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact was driving approximately 55 to 70 mph when the electrical system failed. The contact was able to continue driving the vehicle and the vehicle was inspected by the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 200 and the VIN was unavailable.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Apr 142011

1. leased car on 12/31/2010, the sync failed and screen went blank while driving. 2. backed out of driveway and rear camera froze. 3. doors and hood out of line 4. gas tank leak, dealer doesn't know when they can get a part.

- Manalapan, NJ, USA

Nov 202010

Ford's sync system is a safety hazard. It does not work as advertised, constantly crashes and is a grave distraction for drivers.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA