2011 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 222016

Edge

Purchased my 2011 Ford Edge in June/July of 2014 for jc lewis Ford in savannah, ga. Turns out there was an "extended warranty" in place because the brake booster's in this car have been failing. I'm not sure why they would have sold me a car without completing a repair or informing me of the possibility of malfunction. About a month ago, I was driving down the interstate at about 65 mph when I was cut off by another vehicle. When I went to tap the brakes to disengage the cruise control, nothing happened! I had to press the brakes about halfway down to get the cruise control to disengage and, even then, it felt like I did not have power brakes.

- Hickory, NC, USA

Jul 162016

Edge

Car wil gradually slow down leading to a complete stop. Power to the engine seems to decrease and speed slows. Happened 4 times over several weeks. It would happen then an hour later car would be completely fine and drive ok for a few days and then happen again. Happened when the car was driving at 30-50 mph on normal city streets (not highway) we took it to the dealer, where they identified the throttle body as the cause of the issue. Our VIN is not eligible for the replacement program though; which we do not understand - meets the year/make/model and characteristics of issue. Ever since we purchased the car we have also had lingering electrical issues - separate of the throttle body, that no one has been able to identify -- drive door light says open and it's not, taillights randomly flash when car is off and no one is in car, etc. We are thinking this one was just a dud. We also own another Ford Edge 2014 model - no issues. Car is currently being repaired for the throttle body issue. We can provide receipts / info once we pick it up. Called Ford and they said that vehicles identified for the recall were based on date of manufacture and location - they must've missed us.

- Trussville, AL, USA

Jul 092016

Edge

I have 2011 Ford Edge limited with 54K mileage. Im going through same situation right now. Car starts to decelerate all of a sudden and it comes with message all wheel drive off and a ranch sign. First time I had this issue was on 2/20/16 when I was 7 month pregnant and on my way to my baby shower. I called my dealer ad they said they can check the car but unless they can replicate the issue they might not be able to help at all. My husband started driving the car and it seemed problem just went away. Well we were wrong because the problem came back again from last week and this time we were in highway and we had our 12 weeks old son in the car. The car is at the dealer currently and apparently they think the issue is related to throttle body and its going to cost me at least $700 and not covered by any types of warranty. IżM surprise Ford hasnżT been sued multiple times already since its a known issue and lots of Ford owner been affected by it. The service and customer satisfaction department are not willing to help or acknowledge that its a safety issue.

- Prospect Park, NJ, USA

Jun 292016

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 35 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed; however, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The engine stalled and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 72,000.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jun 262016

Edge

While driving the SUV the the wrench light came on and vehicle went into limp mode and started sputtering in heavy traffic. Was able to pull to side of road but not able to drive vehicle.

- Apollo Beach, FL, USA

Apr 252016

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, when the accelerator pedal was depressed, exhaust fumes emitted inside the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,000.

- Osprey, FL, USA

Jan 122016

Edge

(on multiple occasions )my 2011 Ford Edge upon accleration the vehicle loses the abiltiy to acclerate - shudders and the check engine flashes or stays on. Supposedly could not find the "code" that caused it. I have had the vehicle into 2 different dealer ships - one replaced the transfer case, the other the catalytic converter and ignition coils- to the cost of over $600 on a used certified vehicle. Less than a few days later same issue - back to dealer said it was a loose wire. I now drive the vehicle very tentatively and hope I don't have to accelerate quickly.the vehicle persists in the ability to not acclerate quickly ( usually at 55 mph or higher )without the engine light flashing or staying on. It also seems to happen most frequently on quick accleration --on ramp or getting up to freeway speed. It is very dangerous as this usually happens getting on or off the freeway or staying up with traffic, once the light goes on the vehicle shudders and will not accelerate today it will be 3 months first visit was Oct 29 mileage was 68000 and has happened up to today multiple times and mileage is now 74000 the check engine light is on again back to Ford dealer again tomorrow.

- Hartford, WI, USA

Dec 082015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at 55 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The electronic throttle control warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but the failure was unable to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired and the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,269.

- East Stroudsburg, PA, USA

Dec 082015

Edge

While driving in traffic on hwy 441 in mcintyre ga on Dec 8, 2015, my car all of a sudden loses acceleration and stalls. Despite the oncoming traffic I was able to let the car coast to the side of the hwy where it shut off. I tried several times to restart the car but it would only shut back off. On the dash message appeared reading low engine oil pressure however I'd just had the oil changed the day before. I called state farm roadside assistance and an officer was dispatched. The officer watched as I tried restarting the car several times. He also offered to check the oil and confirm the car was full of fresh oil. The closest repair shop was dispatched to tow my vehicle where it currently remains. I contacted Ford to advise about the issue and inquire if there were any recalls. I was quickly advised this would not be covered and there were no recall that would be associated with something like this happening. I decided to go online to check if other owners had same or similar and was very shocked to see the number of Ford vehicle owners describing the same and or very similar situations. The number of the conditions that described being in the middle of traffic is alarming as this could and eventually will cause serious injury or worse. Something needs to be done to resolve this issue. In many of the cases the problem happened multiple times despite being taken in for repair.

- Stone Mountain, GA, USA

Nov 232015

Edge

While driving 40 mph on a busy road, the car slowed on its own and stopped. I was unable to steer this vehicle. I restarted it four times; it would go for about 100 feet and then slow down to a stop once again. I feel fortunate no one ran into me. I consider this a very dangerous situation. I had the car towed to a Ford dealership (the one I purchased the vehicle from). They kept it for an entire week, seldom calling me to report what was wrong. Today I went to pick it up. Nothing had been done. They indicated they ran a computer check and found nothing wrong. I told my service person I feared driving it and needed to know what was wrong. His reply: "it could be anything. We just can't find it." The other gentleman who worked there told me they were unaware of any recalls with the throttle body (I'd asked repeatedly about this) and told me it was not his job to know about recalls. I fear if I continue driving this vehicle, the problem will continue and I'll be in harm's way.

- Fairview, TX, USA

Oct 162015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled, lunged forward, and the limp home mode independently activated. The check engine and throttle control actuator stuck open warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the full throttle body malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The vehicle was taken to be inspected where it was confirmed that the throttle control actuator was stuck open. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 62,800.....updated 03-31-16

- Randallstown, MD, USA

Nov 012015

Edge

Was driving down highway and the powertrain malfunction warning came on. I was unable to drive the car just shutdown.

- Lindsay, OK, USA

Oct 262015

Edge

My husband and I were driving home (going approximately 40 mph) with our 2 year old and all of the sudden the car lost power. It did not die but wouldn't go over 5 mph. Thankfully, we were close to home and not on a busy highway. If we had been on a busy highway I do believe it would have cause an accident and that terrifies me since this is our primary family vehicle. I have read that Ford extended the warranty for this issue but was not made to issue a recall. Unfortunately, Ford Inc's "customer satisfaction program" for this issue expired in January 2015 so now I will be out the money to fix this extremely dangerous issue. Ford Motor Company should be made to issue a recall to fix this issue before it kills someone.

- Mayfield, KY, USA

Sep 212015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving 35-40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The contact stated that the failure occurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

May 012015

Edge

On several occasions the vehicle lost all acceleration and power to the engine. Yellow wrench showed there was a warning, and check engine light flashed, but upon turning off the car (the main electronics ie:radio/ac still worked) and restarting it resumed "normal" functions and driving. We had several times this happened to us. All of the occurrences happened in the middle of accelerating and at different speeds. Two were on residential roads, one was in a busy intersection, and one (the worst) was on the freeway 3 lanes over from the right shoulder going with the flow of traffic at 70mph. The dealership was unsuccessful N assisting with the problem because without a check engine light they were unable to diagnose the problem. But our latest incident, on September 11th, 2015 (this time the wrench and AWD off flashed), the check engine light stayed on and it was diagnosed as a bad throttle body. This is more than dangerous it is a russian roulette of whether the car will work or not. Please take this situation seriously, there are many other people M.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Edge/2011/engine/engine.shtml complaining about the same year and model as my car, having the same exact issue. This should be put on recall immediately.

- Belmont, CA, USA

Aug 222015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving at 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the wrench indicator illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was able to restart; however, the failure recurred approximately 10 miles down the road. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 47,000.

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Aug 252015

Edge 6-cyl

Driving down side road (thank heavens) lost all power, no speed control, coasting to stop in traffic. Small wrench signal showing AWD off. Stopped car - re started car and had power. This has happened twice in the past two weeks as it just happened again today being September 6th 2015. Seeing many reports of this same experience on internet forum, showing replacing throttle body for the fix. Need to have re call and correct problems prior to serious accidents in high volume traffic. This is the Ford 3.7 six cylinder engine in the 2011 Ford Edge. Internet shows this problem in many of the Ford vehicles...very very dangerous. Please advise of current status or recall notices. I have not heard of any recalls at this time. Thank you.

- Mt Juliet, TN, USA

May 172014

Edge

This is now the seventh time I've lost all power while driving. The car completely shuts down, steering becomes uncontrollable and the oil pressure light comes on. I've taken to the dealership and I'm being told the car has no codes of what happened and they can't repair. I'm not sure how a computer doesn't register a low oil pressure light or how it's not hard coded somewhere in the computer system that the car just cut out at 35mph to 60 mph I have no warning that this is about to happen, I lost my steering, car shuts down, brakes do not work. Ford has no idea on how to fix this. I pull over and wait a few minutes crank up and go, sometimes it does it 5 to 6 times in a row before I can get to the dealer. Also, my driver's side door always keeps the door ajar light on, Ford has no clue how to fix this either- the interior lights stays on the whole time also. I have taken it in several times for this also and they can't fix it. I bought this car used and it was great for one year and now it has many problems which I believe it did when I bought it. I now put 93 octane in it just to see if that helps, I have put engine cleaner in it, had all the filters changed every 3 months, nothing seems to work. I do have grandchildren and worry that an accident could happen due to this malfunction. How do I go about filing against Ford for the lemon law.

- Orange Beach , AL, USA

Aug 302015

Edge

The contact owns a 2011 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 55 mph, the speed decelerated independently with the illumination of the wrench warning light. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis, who confirmed the electronic throttle body failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer issued a special customer satisfaction program related to the electronic throttle body however, the vehicle was not included. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jul 242015

Edge 6-cyl

About 2-3 weeks ago, while driving in the outer banks, nc, I had a sudden loss of power in the vehicle and an yellow wrench sign came. Luckily, I was able to pull off the road and shut the car off. Once restarted, it worked ok. I went to cavalier Ford dealer at portsmouth, va and they could not find anything wrong. Since there was no recall or mention of this problem from Ford, I was told not to worry about it. Today, while driving with my wife and daughter, I had complete loss of power with the yellow wrench sign again. I had to pull on the wrong side of the road with hazard lights on. Again, we were lucky that we did not get hit. When restarted, I was able to drive back home and take my wife's car. I am taking the Ford Edge to the dealer again. I am letting you know that, when I googled for similar problems, there were plenty of complaints on this model vehicle. You can find these reports on the link below: \25\15 updated 12/1/2015

- Portsmouth, VA, USA