3.2

2011 Ford Edge lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 172016

Edge

Door ajar signal stays on when door is closed interior light stay on when door is closed inability to lock doors faulty latch

- Riverton, IL, USA

Aug 152016

Edge

The 2 front door switches work sometimes. When parked the car thinks the doors are open and keeps the lights on. Sometimes for no reason the interior lights turn on and it drains the battery. Plus when the switches are not working the car does not think that it is locked and will beep twice when locking the car. When the switches have failed the doors will not lock when driving. I have been stranded because the lights will just come on when in a store and the battery will drain down to where the car will not start.

- Prattville, AL, USA

Jan 022015

Edge

Door ajar lights for both driver and passenger side doors stay on even though they are closed. Result is that the dome lights stay on and unable to lock the doors while driving even though they are closed. Has caused a drain on the battery, dealer wants a large sum of money to replace the latch even though it's clearly a sensor only.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Edge

Door ajar warning always on resulting in doors not locking when car is in motion, dome lighting staying on when exiting the car and not being aware if car door is shut.

- North Olmsted, OH, USA

Oct 292016

Edge

The latch door ajar sensor is not working properly and cannot recognize when the door is closed. This results in me being unable to lock my door and it leaves the dome lights on until it times out.

- Humble, TX, USA

Oct 252016

Edge

Done lights will not go off. Driver side back door shoes to be open when it is closed.

- Onalaska, TX, USA

Oct 082016

Edge

My driver side door indicator came on and at first it would take me a few times shutting the door for it come off. Now its to the point where it does not turn off and keeps the interior lights on until I drive forward a bit, then turn off. That's not good at night for sure. Now when my car is locked the panic alarm goes off all times of the day and night. I was driving down my driveway (thank goodness) one night and the lights turned on and the car started dinging for the door. Why is this something that is not recalled"?" it is dangerous for the light to stay on at night and especially if my door really isn't latched. I don't see why I should have to pay something out of pocket that I didn't break or have control over breaking. Please help fix this........

- Waterloo, NY, USA

Nov 122015

Edge

The driver side front door sensor is bad, which keeps the door ajar light on at all times, and keeps the overhead lights on for an extended period of time, which drains the battery and is also dangerous when driving at night. Had the dealer "fix" the issue by doing a cleaning/cycling on the electrical part of the latch, but it only lasted a few months and now the problem is back. Ford does not seem willing to address the issue as a safety concern - unsafe to drive with overhead lights on, and it drains the battery, which has caused other issues for me, including having to replace the battery well ahead of its intended useful life.

- Hinckley, OH, USA

Oct 172016

Edge 6-cyl

Door ajar warning message on while driving or parked. Causes interior lights to stay on 10 minutes before turning off when parked. Interior lights will turn on and alarm horn will sound intermittently when parked. I pulled the fuse for the horn relay, don't know when it will sound. I feel it's unsafe to drive without a horn. While driving doors do not lock in fact they unlock after locking them with lock switch.

- Woodbury, MN, USA

Oct 082016

Edge

Door ajar warning light does not go off when all doors are closed...the interior dome lights remain on and does not turn off until vehicle is in drive and has moved more than about 250 feet. It is extremely dangerous at night time especially when a lit dome light makes it very difficult to see out of the vehicle. This weekend the battery died as a direct cause of this issue! Ford just issued a recall for 1.5 million defective vehicles and this year needs to be added asap. I refuse to pay for something out of pocket that the manufacture should be held responsible for...please help!

- Asheville, NC, USA

Feb 012016

Edge

The door latch mechanism on my driver's side door slowly began failing. At roughly 35K miles, the "door ajar" warning would appear on my vehicle display. I would reclose the door and the warning would go away. It randomly continued to happen and resolve itself while stationary or while running, until about 95K miles ( 8 mo ago). There were electronic sprays you could spray into the latch mechanism that would make the warning go away for a limited amount of time. Eventually the entire electrical mechanism failed. I could not lock my doors with the ignition on and eventually just learned to 'approve/ok' the warning every time the ignition was on. Unfortunately there were several times when I was actually driving with an semi-latched/open door. I didn't know because I 'ok'd the 'door ajar' warning like normal. The only way I would know something was diffeent, would be when I drove at a high enough rate of speed to notice the increased road noise from my side of the vehicle. It is also my understanding that newer vehicles automatically lock once under way to disengage the door opening mechanism in case of an accident that might open the door- clearly this is not possible with the failed door latch. The only work around that I have discovered is to remove a fuse which removes the interior lighting and prevents the battery from draining. I still have to 'ok" the 'door ajar' warning though. As for locking the vehicle for safety in an accident, if you lock the vehicle first then turn on the ignition the vehicle remains locked. This workaround is rarely going to happen in the real world. There was a 'cleaning' procedure that several dealers offered for around $200, but it was not guaranteed and the $400 replacement might still have to occur with a latch that still often failed (per internet forums). My repair is scheduled for 10/8/16.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

May 012011

Edge

The dome lights come on when I get in my car (or sometimes when it's just sitting in the garage) and they stay on because it says that a door is ajar but it's not. Initially I had 2 doors replaced per advice of my Ford dealer but it didn't last long before the lights were on and the message came back. At night it is especially unsafe because of the glare. The light eventually fades as I pick up speed, but until then it is dangerous at night. I have also had to replace and recharge my battery and I know it's because when I get out of the car, the light stays on for a couple of minutes before it goes off and sometimes I come out and see that the light is on in the car for no reason. As a result of the car thinking the doors are open, I cannot lock the doors, they just pop back up. Very unsafe for a woman driving at night, especially. I have put up with this for 5 years and didn't realize I could report it here. I definitely asked the dealer to report it. It happened within the first year I got it, because both doors were under warrantly and after that, I refused to replace doors.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Edge

Inside lights stay on after door closed, door ajar light stays on on dash. Door locks want lock or unlock at times.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Oct 032016

Edge

Door ajar lights staying on and will not go off when door is closed! they go on and off while driving down the road. Can't lock the doors, alarm will not set, interior lights stay on and run battery down constantly.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Edge

Driver door ajar stayed on....interior lights stayed on....doors would not stay locked....high beams would not turn off. Could not drive my vehicle at night. All safety concerns. I just paid Ford Motor Company for new switch assembly and door latch assembly and labor. Total cost was $833.19 for parts and labor. When I took my car in I mentioned to the dealer that I had seen numerous complaints online with the same issue. They didn't care at all. I had no choice but to pay to repair.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 152016

Edge

The ┐door ajar┐ light on the instrument cluster stays illuminated even when all doors are properly latched. This malfunction disables the automatic locking feature when the vehicle is put in the drive position. It also causes the interior lights to stay on and has caused my battery to be drained several times to where I had to have the vehicle jump started. I had to disconnect the interior lights which poses a safety concern for me in dark parking lots etc.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 072016

Edge

The door agar warning and dome lights stay on and I am not sure the door is shut. The warning indicator and dome light stay on making it difficult at night to drive safely

- Wantage, NJ, USA

Sep 142016

Edge

The ┐door ajar┐ warning light on my 2011 Edge periodically comes on and stays on. The warning indicates that various doors are open. Sometimes it's the driver door; other times it's the left passenger door or the back gate. Each time the doors were closed properly, however the sensor thinks that the doors are open. This malfunction causes the interior dome lights and the exterior lights on the side mirrors to remain on, which drains the battery. Originally, I thought this issue was a problem specific to my vehicle. However, in an attempt to understand the problem, I conducted an internet search and discovered that the ┐door ajar┐ warning is a common and well known problem with Ford products including the Edge. This problem is not a result of use or wear and tear of the vehicle; it clearly is a mechanical /engineering flaw with the vehicle. I feel that this situation is a safety issues and should be corrected by Ford Motor Company. On September 19, 2016, I sent an email to the Ford Motor Company customer relationship center (crc), explaining the problem and seeking help. I was assigned a case number (cas-10612005-P1F4G7) and was told to contact a local dealer to diagnosis the problem. On September 27, 2016, a service department representative from beau townsend Ford informed me that the problem was with the door latch and the cost to repair is approximately $385 per latch. He also informed me that Ford Motor Company would not pay for the repair.next, I called the crc to appeal the decision.I was told that the problem was not a recall item and that Ford would not repair the vehicle. I was also told that I had no further recourse regarding this issue.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 152016

Edge

For the past few months I have been having a door ajar issue with my driver's side door even though my door is completely closed and the interior light stays on running my battery down. Do they have a recall regarding this issue as I should not be responsible for replacing a faulty electrical system that already has fuel problems.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 012016

Edge

I have a 2011 Ford Edge. Door ajar light stays on and does not turn interior light out. It has become very dangerous and difficult to see when driving at night. I am also not able to lock my doors. This is a safety issue and should absolutely be recalled!!! not acceptable that Ford has not been required to correct this siruation.

- Norco, CA, USA