2011 Ford Edge lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford Edge:

2011 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

Oct 082016

Door ajar warning light does not go off when all doors are closed...the interior dome lights remain on and does not turn off until vehicle is in drive and has moved more than about 250 feet. It is extremely dangerous at night time especially when a lit dome light makes it very difficult to see out of the vehicle. This weekend the battery died as a direct cause of this issue! Ford just issued a recall for 1.5 million defective vehicles and this year needs to be added asap. I refuse to pay for something out of pocket that the manufacture should be held responsible for...please help!

- Asheville, NC, USA

Feb 012016

The door latch mechanism on my driver's side door slowly began failing. At roughly 35K miles, the "door ajar" warning would appear on my vehicle display. I would reclose the door and the warning would go away. It randomly continued to happen and resolve itself while stationary or while running, until about 95K miles ( 8 mo ago). There were electronic sprays you could spray into the latch mechanism that would make the warning go away for a limited amount of time. Eventually the entire electrical mechanism failed. I could not lock my doors with the ignition on and eventually just learned to 'approve/ok' the warning every time the ignition was on. Unfortunately there were several times when I was actually driving with an semi-latched/open door. I didn't know because I 'ok'd the 'door ajar' warning like normal. The only way I would know something was diffeent, would be when I drove at a high enough rate of speed to notice the increased road noise from my side of the vehicle. It is also my understanding that newer vehicles automatically lock once under way to disengage the door opening mechanism in case of an accident that might open the door- clearly this is not possible with the failed door latch. The only work around that I have discovered is to remove a fuse which removes the interior lighting and prevents the battery from draining. I still have to 'ok" the 'door ajar' warning though. As for locking the vehicle for safety in an accident, if you lock the vehicle first then turn on the ignition the vehicle remains locked. This workaround is rarely going to happen in the real world. There was a 'cleaning' procedure that several dealers offered for around $200, but it was not guaranteed and the $400 replacement might still have to occur with a latch that still often failed (per internet forums). My repair is scheduled for 10/8/16.

- Shawnee, KS, USA

May 012011

The dome lights come on when I get in my car (or sometimes when it's just sitting in the garage) and they stay on because it says that a door is ajar but it's not. Initially I had 2 doors replaced per advice of my Ford dealer but it didn't last long before the lights were on and the message came back. At night it is especially unsafe because of the glare. The light eventually fades as I pick up speed, but until then it is dangerous at night. I have also had to replace and recharge my battery and I know it's because when I get out of the car, the light stays on for a couple of minutes before it goes off and sometimes I come out and see that the light is on in the car for no reason. As a result of the car thinking the doors are open, I cannot lock the doors, they just pop back up. Very unsafe for a woman driving at night, especially. I have put up with this for 5 years and didn't realize I could report it here. I definitely asked the dealer to report it. It happened within the first year I got it, because both doors were under warrantly and after that, I refused to replace doors.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 012016

Inside lights stay on after door closed, door ajar light stays on on dash. Door locks want lock or unlock at times.

- Anniston, AL, USA

Oct 032016

Door ajar lights staying on and will not go off when door is closed! they go on and off while driving down the road. Can't lock the doors, alarm will not set, interior lights stay on and run battery down constantly.

- Pearl, MS, USA

Sep 012016

Driver door ajar stayed on....interior lights stayed on....doors would not stay locked....high beams would not turn off. Could not drive my vehicle at night. All safety concerns. I just paid Ford Motor Company for new switch assembly and door latch assembly and labor. Total cost was $833.19 for parts and labor. When I took my car in I mentioned to the dealer that I had seen numerous complaints online with the same issue. They didn't care at all. I had no choice but to pay to repair.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jul 152016

The ┐door ajar┐ light on the instrument cluster stays illuminated even when all doors are properly latched. This malfunction disables the automatic locking feature when the vehicle is put in the drive position. It also causes the interior lights to stay on and has caused my battery to be drained several times to where I had to have the vehicle jump started. I had to disconnect the interior lights which poses a safety concern for me in dark parking lots etc.

- Naples, FL, USA

Jun 072016

The door agar warning and dome lights stay on and I am not sure the door is shut. The warning indicator and dome light stay on making it difficult at night to drive safely

- Wantage, NJ, USA

Sep 142016

The ┐door ajar┐ warning light on my 2011 Edge periodically comes on and stays on. The warning indicates that various doors are open. Sometimes it's the driver door; other times it's the left passenger door or the back gate. Each time the doors were closed properly, however the sensor thinks that the doors are open. This malfunction causes the interior dome lights and the exterior lights on the side mirrors to remain on, which drains the battery. Originally, I thought this issue was a problem specific to my vehicle. However, in an attempt to understand the problem, I conducted an internet search and discovered that the ┐door ajar┐ warning is a common and well known problem with Ford products including the Edge. This problem is not a result of use or wear and tear of the vehicle; it clearly is a mechanical /engineering flaw with the vehicle. I feel that this situation is a safety issues and should be corrected by Ford Motor Company. On September 19, 2016, I sent an email to the Ford Motor Company customer relationship center (crc), explaining the problem and seeking help. I was assigned a case number (cas-10612005-P1F4G7) and was told to contact a local dealer to diagnosis the problem. On September 27, 2016, a service department representative from beau townsend Ford informed me that the problem was with the door latch and the cost to repair is approximately $385 per latch. He also informed me that Ford Motor Company would not pay for the, I called the crc to appeal the decision.I was told that the problem was not a recall item and that Ford would not repair the vehicle. I was also told that I had no further recourse regarding this issue.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jun 152016

For the past few months I have been having a door ajar issue with my driver's side door even though my door is completely closed and the interior light stays on running my battery down. Do they have a recall regarding this issue as I should not be responsible for replacing a faulty electrical system that already has fuel problems.

- Detroit, MI, USA

May 012016

I have a 2011 Ford Edge. Door ajar light stays on and does not turn interior light out. It has become very dangerous and difficult to see when driving at night. I am also not able to lock my doors. This is a safety issue and should absolutely be recalled!!! not acceptable that Ford has not been required to correct this siruation.

- Norco, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Tamara recall. Ford Edge 2011 : door ajar light won't turn off when door is closed. Dome lights stay on, and can be very dangerous when driving at night

- Mt Pleasant, WI, USA

Dec 012015

Lights stay on after parking inside and mirror lights. When driving interior lights stay on til a certain speed but doors do not lock and door ajar light stays on. The doors lock and the door light goes off spontaneously. Also brakes feel spongy and pedal feels like it goes to the floor.

- Pineville, LA, USA

Jan 312014

Door ajar warning stays on even when the door is closed, preventing the dome light from going off and the door from locking while driving. Infrequently when I reopen the door and slam it shut the driver's door ajar and light will go off. If it does not and I have to back up it is very hard to see.

- Manassas, VA, USA

May 152016

The door ajar light is staying on even after the door is shut. The interior and outside lights will stay on after shutting door, causing the vehicle to lose battery power if not detected early. If it is daylight this may be hard to see. It also does not let you engage the alarm, or even worse the alarm will go off for no apparent reason, also draining the battery if not detected early. I've only had this car a few months, but has been a problem since day one. I thought it was something that I was doing wrong until I did a little research and found out that I was not the only one having this problem.

- Tyler, TX, USA

Aug 082016

Door ajar stays on even when door is closed, drivers door and passenger door. Dome lights stay on and doors do not lock when driving, also comes on in middle of night when the car is just setting and nobody around it. At night when you are trying to back up the light is affecting the sight since it glares in your eyes causing you to be unable to see what is around you. I put a date of today but this has been going on for a month.

- Copemish, MI, USA

Jul 012016

Door ajar warning came on with the door closed has very quickly got worse car will not lock properly when off anyone can press the keypad and get in the car so potential break in and door do not lock while driving safety issue if my daughter reaches for the door while driving the dome lights stay on while driving safety hazard while driving at night. There needs to be a recall as I'm about to spend hundreds to get this fixed and it could potentially happen again !

- Apo, AE, USA

Apr 222016

The door ajar switch stays on all the time. It cause the lights on the inside for few minutes and you can't see how to drive at night you have to wait for them to go out.

- Brazoria, TX, USA

Jul 012016

Due to the latch mechanism on the doors, the computer thinks the doors are still open and the lights inside do not turn off which makes it very difficult to see and drive when the interior lights of the car are on. Computer keeps saying "door ajar". the dealership wants to charge $600 to replace the latch mechanism and they don't guarantee that the problem doesn't happen again

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 012016

Had problems with door side sensor saying the door was open when it wasn't. now the passenger side door is doing the same thing. The doors will not lock while driving if the door sensor is saying the door is open. This is a safety hazard. Also, if the door open sensor is saying the door is open once you have gotten out of your vehicle and shut the door, the interior light will stay on and this drains your battery.

- Piedmont, AL, USA