7.8

2. installed new door latch (10 reports)
  3. repair door latch, sensor (7 reports)
  4. clean door sensor (4 reports)
  5. replace entire door latch assembly (2 reports)
  6. replaced door latch switch (1 reports)
2012 Ford Edge electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford Edge:

2012 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jun 052017

Edge Sport 6

Door ajar icon stays on on driver door, dings every few minutes, tells me to place it in park. Have to close door several times in order for it to maybe quit.

- , Freeport, US

May 092017

Edge Sport V6

When the vehicle 'thinks' the driver door is ajar, it will not lock the doors! Also, there's an annoying ding ding ding!! when the vehicle is driven because it's sensing the driver door is open.

Of course, it's not!!

Ford hasn't issued a recall even though it should be considered a SAFETY ISSUE when the automatic doors won't lock!

- , Novato, CA, US

Jun 012017

Edge Unlimited

PLEASE RECALL VERY DANGEROUS!!! Door ajar light constantly goes off even with the doors closed, Very ddistracting

- , Ortonville, US

Jun 052017

Edge Unlimited

This is the most annoying thing to be going off at all times even when the door is closed, Please Please Please Recall, VERY Dangerous! Plus it keeps the interior lights on which makes it difficult to drive at night, waiting to have my battery go dead like the other complaints! RECALL NOW!

- , Ortonville, US

May 242017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

Very annoying problem. The cost is over $400 to have fixed. Ford is aware of the problem and has not recalled for this.

- , Murrells Inlet, US

May 062017

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

The drivers side door latch sensor that indicates to that the door is either open or shut is malfunctioning and rarely works without opening and slamming the door 10-15 times before the sensor will indicate the door is closed. This problem has resulted in me having to replace my car battery due to the interior lights not going off even though the car is closed and locked. This should absolutely be a factory recall from Ford. The fact that the door sensor is part of the entire door latch assembly is POOR engineering. Even more so considering the ENTIRE door needs to be disassembled from the inside out in order to replace the door latch assembly. I consider myself a very mechanically inclined individual and I don't mind a few small projects here and there, this one however is absolutely a worthless waste of my time. As an owner of a 5 year old car that was driven off the lot brand new I shouldn't have to spend an entire weekend taking apart my damn door in order to ensure my battery doesn't die again and again due to faulty engineering.. This is a known issue that I've now read about from Ford Edges dating back as far as 2008. Ford needs to recall the part and cover the cost of replacing it. The quote I got for replacing it at the ford dealership was over $400!!!!!! THAT'S ABSOLUTELY OUTRAGEOUS AND UNACCEPTABLE!

- , Seattle, WA, US

May 212017

Edge

Door ajar light stays on when the door is shut, which makes the lights in the vehicle stay on. Also get message of shift to park while driving. When you park the vehicle, the lights stay on.

- , Waldorf, US

Apr 062016

Edge SEL 3.5L V6

Driver door ajar light would occasionally stay on and with a few slams of the door would eventually go out. This began happening much more often, sometimes the light would come on when the driver's side window would be put down! It became a significant problem during a trip at the end of April in which our interior lights would then stay on and cause night vision problems and then we were unable to lock the doors because the drivers door wasn't latching properly.

We tried WD40 to resolve the problem but that didn't work. We had two long appointments with the Car dealerships to see if they could fix this issue to no avail. Finally last month we took it to another Ford dealer and they found that the spring on the door latch was broken not allowing it to fully engage when shut.

Since this was a safety issue, but wasn't covered under our extended warranty, we had the latch replaced at the cost of $329.85! A few days later, we were made aware that there was a recall on OTHER Ford models for this exact same issue!!!! We would love to have our monies reimbursed as this should not be a problem that the consumer should have to pay for!!

- , Franconia, NH, USA

May 242017

Edge 3.2L V6

Third time I have had it into ford for the door latch,my car has 35,000 miles on it. Becomes dangerous as door latches wont lock and often light stays on draining battery. Very dangerous problem,and Ford should stand by their 35,000 dollar car.

- , Chicago, IL, US

Mar 202017

Edge

Well the light stays on , i have to open and shut the door at least 20 times. sometimes it comes on when im driving, the car wont lock, i have already replaced my battery. I have seen lots of complaints why wont they fix this ???

- , Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Apr 242017

Edge Sport

In all the years/cars I have ever driven, I have never had to replace a door latch. I think this is ridiculous. I am glad that I have the extended warranty as it has come in handy with this car.

With the number of complaints regarding this issue and the fact that it causes issues with driving as I have had the console tell me to put the car in park when I am driving since it thinks the door is open.

- , Bastrop, TX, US

Dec 082014

Edge SE 3.5L V6

very disappointed in my 2012 Ford Edge. Cost me $437.49 to fix door ajar problem, that i find out to be a bad part used by Ford. In addition to door ajar light, shift into park would also not stop. Deem it a safety issue in that doors would not lock. Since I transport my granddaughter to school, this situation not acceptable. Vehicle had only 10,184 miles.

- , Glendale, US

Apr 192017

Edge SEL 2.0L Ecoboost

The "Driver Door Ajar" message is constantly dinging along with a "Shift to Park" message (and accompanying ding).

Initially it was random and I could slam the door to cause it to go out. It has gradually become worse over the last week and now rarely goes away. My battery also died and I had to call my auto club for a jump start. Fortunately I was in a safe location. I replaced the battery thinking that it was going bad. It was only after finding this site that I was able to put two and two together. The battery was probably just discharged.

I bought my last Chevrolet 35 years ago. The reason was a dispute over a cosmetic repair that GM refused to fix. I've been a loyal Ford owner since them.

It's a shame that Ford doesn't react to customer complaints of this nature. Maybe it's time to add Ford to my "Do not buy" list.

- , Albany, US

Sep 012016

Edge Limited 3.5L V6

The car doesn't recognize that the door is shut so the door ajar light keeps flashing and the interior lights stay on while driving. The doors also won't lock because it thinks the door is open. When parked the car lights will stay on as if a door is not shut and creates a target for theft.

- , Spring, TX, US

Apr 272017

Edge SE 3.5L V6

Same problem again within 2 and 1 half years and only 14 thousand miles later. Door ajar light stays on along with shift into park notice. Very serious in that doors would not lock while driving. Feel that Ford won't issue recall until someone seriously injured. In my 2 instances, would expect total reimbursement for both times I paid to have repaired in the amounts of $437.49 and $471.80 or a total of $909.29. I am rapidly losing confidence in Ford problems, and will look at Hondas in the future.

- , Glendale, US

Feb 122017

Edge SE 3.5L

tried to talk to dealer and they told me that it's not under warranty or safety recall, and I have to pay to fix this problem.

- , Brampton, ON, Canada

Dec 042016

Edge SEL 3.5L

MY 2012 Ford Edge started having door ajar lights on issues, now the locks will unlock when driving, the radio will shut off when i take the key out i seems to be getting worse!

- , Raynham, US

May 032017

Edge ES V6

I've had it up to here! I will never buy a ford again. I've already replaced one battery and they want $290.00 to CLEAN my door sensor!!! To add insult to injury I purchased an extended warranty and they won't pay for the repair because ford has a TSB out for this KNOWN ISSUE! I feel it's a real slap in the face. I mean, an oil change is vital to the life of my car and that's fifty bucks, the brain trust at ford wants over TWO HUNDRED for something that is NOT CRITICAL TO THE FUNCTION OF MY CAR!!!! When did the bottom line become more important than doing what's right for the customer? I hope the CEO and the board of directors read this. THEY WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER DOLLAR OUT OF ME!!!! I WILL TELL MY FRIENDS AND FAMILY ABOUT THIS EXPERIENCE AND HOPE THE UNSUSPECTING PUBLIC WILL NOT BE FOOLED, AND BUY ANY OTHER CAR BESIDES ford.

- , Jacksonville, US

Mar 012017

Edge LX 3.2L

My door ajar light for the driver door stays on regardless of the door position. Not sure if the door is not latching properly or even latched at all. The door feels secure when I am on the inside driving/ Just hoping the door does not release when driving due to the sensor.

- , Oxford, US

Feb 092016

Edge Limited 3.6L

there should be a recall on this, as I was looking for a solutions it appears that all the Ford Edge vehicles are having this problem.

- , Bismarck, US