6.8

2015 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Ford Edge:

2015 Ford Edge Owner Comments

Jul 122016

Edge

Electronic throttle body failure. Vehicle lost all engine power and entered limp mode at 70 mph on highway. Warning lights came on & no notice given. Had to immediately pull over to side of highway. Nearly lost control of vehicle and almost crashed. Dealer stated the electronic throttle body failed and deemed car unfit/unsafe for travel on the road. Left vehicle at Ford dealer to replace throttle body.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Oct 142016

Edge

Multiple times the car suddenly lost all power. Engine shuts off, power steering gone and all the warning lights on the dash light up. This has happened on expressways, city streets and country roads, each time impeding the flow of traffic and people don't respond well to me when this happens. I have come very close to being hit by other cars. Each time I have pushed the starter button to shut it off even though it is not running and I wait a few minutes. I then restart the car and it seems to function again, for a while. The dealership wants to play games about this issue, " not doing it for our technician". I see loads of complaints just like mine with nothing being done. Come on, it's recall time, ,,before I, my wife, family or someone suffers serious injury or death because of this known problem with the ebt assembly in the Ford Edge.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Sep 232016

Edge

Sudden loss of power on a while driving down busy road.

- Powder Springs, GA, USA

Sep 152016

Edge

I've had my 2015 Ford Edge for only 4 months and with only 4600 miles on my way home from work Sept. 15th going down a two lane road my car lost power without warning I could not accelerate and the wrench and air bag warning lights came on. Thank god I was not on the freeway going 70 miles an hour I was able to coast to safety so I pulled to the side of the road. The vehicle was making a very loud noise. I called Ford road side assistance. When he came out he turned the vehicle off and on and the warning lights came off and the vehicle drove normal. I was able to get home. I decided to take it to the nearest Ford dealer the next morning however they could not help me till Wednesday or Thursday of the following week. I decided to go home and call the dealer where I purchased the vehicle and as I was driving up my driveway it happened again this time I decided to record with my phone the warning lights and the noise it was making. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in to them right away however I was not about to drive it again knowing it was probably going to do it again. (very scary). Called Ford road side assistance again and it was towed there. I received a called later in the day saying that the throttle bodyneeded to be replaced. Got my car back that afternoon. However, 2 weeks earlier my vehicle was at the dealer because the engine light came on took it in and the catalyst converter was bad he to be replaced. Of course no part available had to wait. My vehicle was in there for 10 days. (they did provide a rental at no charge)

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 132016

Edge

Depression of accelerator pedal had no effect on engine speed while traveling on telegraph rd. In southfield, mi. I "limped" the car to avis Ford, also in southfield, where the service advisor told me that he believed there was a malfunction of the throttle body which couples the accelerator pedal to the engine throttle. That was later confirmed by avis Ford and avis Ford took out the old throttle body and installed a new throttle body having serial # at4Z 9E926 B (fp).

- Milford, MI, USA

May 232016

Edge

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 65 mph in two lane traffic, the vehicle randomly stalled without warning. The contact was able to coast the vehicle over to the side of the road. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was determined that this was a known issue by the manufacturer and that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no solution. The approximate failure mileage was 4,500.

- Sugarland, TX, USA

Aug 252016

Edge

4/2016-car engine lost power on highway @ highway speeds down to 15 mph. Wrench icon shows on dashboard. Made way to shoulder, shut off car and 2X attempt restart. Drove to dealership. Replaced throttle body assy. 8-25-2016-issue happened for a 2nd time as above @ highway speeds. This car has the replacement throttle body assy. On freeway again and similar dashboard icons. Car had to be towed to dealership. Service says they replaced throttle body assy w/"updated model" per Ford recommendation.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

Aug 162016

Edge

I was starting to drive on the busy street at about 30 mph when of the sudden the vehicle slowed down to maybe 5 mph within 2 seconds, mind you my foot was pressing the gas pedal at the time the car lost speed, light comes on, something to do with hill assistance, then the wrench light come on, luckily this happened just before the intersection and I decided to go to the left turn lane. I was able to pull to the side of the road at a 2-3 mph speed, turned the car off and back on with no problem, drove it home. This morning (7:00am) I drove my car to the Ford dealership in town, explain the issue to the adviser, she said sounds like the throttle body. They worked on my car, got the phone call around 3;00pm that my car was ready I picked up, this is what the invoice says: 4722 defective etb. Light off, obtain P2111, perform a datalogger road test and make a recording. Review recording. At time of power loss etc actual ande desired way out of spec, T/P readings are erratic and full of spikes, install a new etb, clear code and road test, engine runs good, full power, light off and no codes return. Will see how this works....

- Santa Clarita, CA, USA

Aug 072016

Edge

While driving in North Carolina at 55 mph on a single lane road between goldsboro and greenville nc, I experienced a sudden loss of engine power and the accelerator pedal became totally unresponsive. The car slowed down to a speed compatible with the idling RPM of the car. I had to pull on to the Edge of the road. Once I had turned the car off for a few moments and restarted, the accelerator control returned. Very dangerous and lucky this did not happen whilst on a freeway or overtaking.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 292016

Edge

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The check manual and engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that a ground cable was loose and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the vehicle experienced a loss of power. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 10,000.

- Kirkwood, MO, USA

Jul 312016

Edge

Accelerator stopped working. Wrench warning light lit. (engine remained running; ac remained on). After stopping the car, we re-started it. It ran ok for about 1.5 miles, then the same problem occurred. (we were in motion, on a back road, not turning, braking etc. Speed of vehicle was about 50 mph. It is a safety hazard as the road is somewhat curvy and hilly, with few places to safely move off the road after the vehicle stopped working).

- Earlysville, VA, USA

Jul 282016

Edge

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle was being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,500. The VIN was unavailable.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Jul 212016

Edge 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle unintentionally decelerated to 20 mph. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. After restarting, the vehicle resumed normal operation. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the failure was contributed to the throttle body. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 11,000. Updated 10/18/16

- Madison, SD, USA

Jul 012015

Edge

The vehicle drivetrain warning light went on. We were driving about 45 mph on a hilly two lane road. The vehicle lost all power. Luckily we not being followed closely as we had no ability to get any power after the warning light came on.

- Deal Island, MD, USA

Jun 282016

Edge

While driving at 70 mph on a busy stretch of highway, the vehicle jerked slightly, a notification light (orange wrench) came on saying to check the owner's manual, and the accelerator ceased to function. I was able to navigate the car safely to the shoulder; however, the braking felt strained and there was no ability to throttle the engine at any point. Upon stopping another notification popped up saying that "hill assist unavailable". once stopped, I turned the engine off and let the car sit for a couple of minutes. The car restarted (albeit roughly), and I was able to drive home safely. The car is currently at the Ford dealer where the vehicle was purchased. No update has been provided. The only feedback we've gotten was that they may "find nothing". this is a very serious problem, and I do not believe the vehicle is safe to operate without identifying and repairing this issue.

- Novato, CA, USA

Jun 242015

Edge

While on highway car went from 45 mph to under 5mph without warning. Lost all functions steering acceleration and braking. Wrench appeared on dashboard see manual. Luckily a car was not behind could have been a serious accident. Went to Ford said could not find an issue

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Jun 222016

Edge

The contact owns a 2015 a Ford Edge. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle decelerated to 5 mph as the rpms reduced to zero. The vehicle was driven with caution to the contact's residence. The engine warning indicator illuminated continuously. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the electronic throttle control would need to be replaced. The remedy part was on a massive back order. The vehicle would be repaired when the part became available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 13,000....updated 09/12/16

- Charleston, SC, USA

May 302016

Edge

The contact owns a 2015 Ford Edge. The contact stated that the vehicle went into limp mode several times, which prevented the vehicle from being driven over 5 mph. The dealer diagnosed that the throttle body failed. The dealer also stated that there were more than 8,000 parts on back order and were unable to determine when the manufacturer would supply the part for the repair. The contact waited for weeks for a response from the manufacturer to determine a solution. The approximate failure mileage was 9,300.

- Fayetteville, TN, USA

May 222016

Edge

I was driving down the highway at the speed limit when suddenly my vehicle's gas pedal stopped working. I immediately felt the car decelerate and tried to press the gas pedal to keep up with traffic, but mashing the gas had no effect at all. I was in the left lane of a 3 lane highway and many cars began swerving to pass us on the right so it was extremely difficult to coast to the shoulder. There were 2 near misses with other cars and it could have been a very bad crash. Ford now tells me that they are having problems with the "trottle bodies" on many of their cars and the part is backordered. Therefore it could be 2-3 weeks before my car is repaired. I purchased this car in January of 2016 brand new off the lot, less than 6 months later I experienced an extremely dangerous equipment failure with no warning whatsoever. Ford customer service does not seem the least bit concerned that their customers are not only inconvenienced by this issue, but also placed directly in harms way.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Apr 222016

Edge

My car lost acceleration at 65 mph on the highway. Indicator lights illuminated and after pulling over and turning the car off was able to accelerate again. Was able to pull over to the side of the highway with no acceleration. I was in the slow lane, this could have been a potentially life threating situation if I would have been in a different lane with faster moving traffic. After the car was turned off and then on again, was able to accelerate. Drove about 5 miles to take the vehicle to the dealership and lost acceleration completely again. Purchased new in December 2015, currently has 5222 miles. This is the second issue with the car. The first issue was with the back passenger door. It was not aligned properly and sounded like air was coming in. Had to have door realigned.

- San Bernardino, CA, USA