1. add return line to rear tank (1 reports)
  2. replace tanks (1 reports)
1996 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1996 Ford F-150:

1996 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

May 011996

F-150 XLT 4.9L I6

This is a really big pain in the ass. There is only a return line going to the front tank. I did not know this and filled both tanks. I was using the rear first so after a while of driving fuel started pouring out of front tank because it was being over filled by the excess not being used in the rear. For drivers that only have the rear tank working this is a killer because you are filling a tank with gas that doesn't even work! Not to mention the waste of money on gas and if you don't siphon it out from the front tank then it starts leaking. This could cause your vehicle to catch fire, the gas could ruin your paint, you are throwing money out of the window, and you are constantly having to siphon gas from the front tank.

- , Hartford, IL, USA

Sep 012015

F-150 5.0L

The straps on1996 f-150 front fuel tank literally broke and fuel tank fell off. Lucky for me I was in my own gravel driveway. The front fell off ,and if I had been going down the road I likely would have blown up or minimally went ass over tea kettle. Either way, I would have gotten hurt pretty bad or charred real good. Fuel pump and tank leaking in 95 with dual tanks also. Engine blew at 70,000. Bunch a bull. Engine blew in 89 also with same , 70, 000 miles. He. Could be a thing. Nonetheless, my next truck will be a Bob or Phil or Tom, anything but a ford. I've been bent over enough . Shifty design all the way too. Brakes went and buried inside frame rails. Lines that is. Just bad mojo!

- , Fife Lake, USA