8.7

$2,333.00

1. rebuild transmission (2 reports)
  2. i had to replace the transmission with a ford rebuilt 3yr30k (1 reports)
  4. repaired transmission (1 reports)
  5. transmission replacement (1 reports)
1997 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Ford F-150:

1997 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Dec 012012

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8

Unable to pass motor vehicle inspection as transmission replacement would be worth more than vehicle. Vehicle is now set for the mud hills.

Update from Oct 12, 2016: I have seen multiple Fords of this and similar years with automatic transmissions which have failed. Replacement would cost more than the value of the vehicle.

- , Harvey, New Brunswick, Canada

Aug 032009

F-150 4.6L V8

I had multiple problems with the transmission and I wouldn't recommend this vehicle to my worst enemy!!

- , Middleton, WI, USA

Jul 042008

F-150 Lariet 4.6L V8

Ford: Fix Or Repair Daily or at least Often I have rebuilt this truck except for the engine and it has less than 200K miles!!! The transmission would not shift out of 2 gear and failed.

- , Santa Barbara, CA, USA

May 162007

F-150 XLT 4.2L V-6

As an automotive technican i take immaculate care of my vehicle. I noticed a trans leak from a strange place. took truck to independent shop for 2nd opinion. Upon further inspection it was found that a defect in the tailshaft area wore a groove in the transmission case itself causing substantial leakage. The fix for this is an entire new transmission case b/c the other one is rendered useless. I chose to have the trans rebuilt since it was already pulled out (due to the mileage.) This is a costly repair . Beware. I was advised by a Ford tech. that this problem was rectified on later models.

- , Naples, FL, USA

Feb 032007

F-150 4.6L V8

My ford whines when it goes through the gears whine in 2wd.

When in 4wd high it pulls fine but when you slow down it wants to grab. i need to know what the problem is.

- , Lake City, SC, USA

Jun 182003

F-150

I have owned this vehicle for three years and I have taken excellent care of it. Apparently that did not make a difference, because the transmission went out of it anyway. My nephew owns the very same truck and his transmission has gone out twice in his. Is this a common problem with Ford F150's?

- , Centerville, IA, USA