8.9

1. helicoil insert (32 reports)
  3. bigserts are inserts instead of helicoil (9 reports)
  4. tapered seat insert in head (not helicoil) (6 reports)
  5. cylinder head repair kit (4 reports)
  6. replaced cylinder head (3 reports)
2002 Ford F-150 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Aug 052011

F-150 5.5L V8

Ford has a problem with their eng. and wont take care of it. I for one will never buy another Ford.

- , Orange Park, FL, USA

Oct 062010

F-150 Xlt Lariat 5.4L V8

First plug blew #7 10/2009 the day after an oil change at the dealership, shamed them into repairing it for parts, then on 5/2010 I blew plug #4 this one cost $700 because I needed an insert. I asked them to check all of my plugs because I was told that they would only blow if they were lose. Then 10/2010 (1 year and 4 days later) plug #7 blew again, not covered under the warranty from the repair because it was 4 days after the 1 year warranty,so I had a local reliable mechanic repair it and replace all of my plugs, he said there were 3 plugs that were lose, really only 5 months ago they were checked, anyway so far so good. I did forget to mention that my local dealership told me that they have a truck in about 2 to 3 times a month but this is not considered a flaw or recall problem.

Really! I like this truck and I can't afford to buy a new one, b I am afraid to take it on a long trip.

- , Carleton, MI, USA

Jul 012010

F-150 LX 4.6L

my F150 4.6L blew out plug and burned hole in pistion head needing new motor 3500bucks if they have more threads in cylinder head there would be no problem then they could call it a trition and be pride of it problem is fixed more threads on newer engines but for people like me with 2002 4.6L have to bite the bullet if they changed the new engines they should take care of people who had problems with older engines no problems with engine until plug blew out then all hell broke out

- , Spencerport, NY, USA

Nov 052011

F-150 4.6L

Just installed a new motor 3.5 months ago and this happened. I'm pissed right off. After talking to mechanics and the place I got the engine at, they tell me this is a common problem with these engines. Why the f#ck doesn't Ford pay up and do a recall? There reputation is already f@cked up. According to stats on the internet, there are some 20 million odd customers that have experienced the same thing.

- , Inuvik, NWT, canada

Jul 212011

F-150 5.4L V8

THE # 3 PLUG BLEW OUT WHAT A PAIN I AM TRADING THIS TRUCK AS SOON AS IT IS FIXED I AM SORRY TO SAY THAT AS A LONG TIME FORD LOVER THIS WILL BE THE LAST FORD I WILL EVER OWN

- , Harmony, PA, USA

Jun 012011

F-150 FX4 5.4L

As I search the issue with my F150 I have realized that the blown out Spark Plug is a huge issue. Ford needs to step up and fix this with a recall and make it right.

- , Gill, MA, USA

Nov 112009

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

No recall on this is not except able. This is dangerous problem and needs to be addressed. I love my truck but now I do not have any faith in it to travel any place.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: REPAIRED WITH HELICOIL

Mar 032011

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

While the mechanic was delivering the truck, it blew out the plug on him. This crap sucks and Ford should be responsible.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: IT WAS FIXED WITH ANOTHER HELICOIL AND IT BLEW OUT ALSO

Feb 252011

F-150 Harley Davison 5.4L Supercharged

This is the second time now and it was the same plug. It was repaired by a very reputable mechanic and he used the insert instead of the helicoil. Still blew out at 55 mph with out any rawhiding of the truck.

Update from Mar 17, 2011: FIXED YET AGAIN. THIS TIME WITH INSERT. MAYBE THIS WILL DO THE JOB

Dec 232010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L Triton

Just before Christmas eve, and boom goes the engine.doing 75 on rt 80 with 40 miles to go to get home,I limped home. The plugs have been in for 75000 miles so Ford cant say they were installed wrong but they can say the problem was fixed after 2004. I replaced it with the Cal-van kit and it fixed that issue but I here a death knock on the lower end right in that area ,probably rod bearing and probably caused by bthe compression relief when the plug busted out like a scud missile,thanks ford.

Update from Feb 22, 2011: Well its not the lower bearing and that sucks because its a wrist pin, great, cant fix that by pulling oil pan, running it till it blows and buying a Chevy.. The kit I used worked great, I also bought the scope for looking inside the piston chamber when I did the work.. 384.00 total and 45 mins of my time that I will never get back,,,THANKS AGAIN FORD!! PS,As soon as it goes I'll have a kit for sale to replace the poor workmanship of Ford engineers great NO THREAD IN HEAD FOR PLUG problem

- , Wind Gap, PA, USA

Jan 252011

F-150 5.4L

this is the second time this has happened to my truck in less than 2 months! this is bullshit! I am sure that the ford motor company would like to keep their reputation of ford trucks being built ford tough, and I'm starting to think they are wrong!!! RECALL THIS TRUCK!!!

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 102010

F-150 5.4L

come on ford motor company back your product up and recall this motor!

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Dec 162010

F-150 5.4L

this is the third plug I have had to fix, I have spent over 1600.00 in service, ford should recall ....what a joke

- , Claremore, OK, USA

Nov 222010

F-150 5.4

spark plug shot out of head 30 miles from home. stripped threads due to weak aluminum head. no forewarning or preventative measures to keep this from happening. definitely a fire risk, good thing I was 1/4 mile away from a repair shop. this should be a ford recall as it appears to be a known reoccurring problem.

- , Independence, KY, USA

Sep 182010

F-150 5.4L

I can't wait to talk to the ISO about this lack of quality .Is Job One to Screw America? This is a lack of control in the material div.Come on Ford .70,000 miles is not what I would call a life time . and When they say 100,000 miles before a tune up . Why would I check the plugs to see if they were tight.

- , Puyallup, WA, USA

Aug 262010

F-150 4x4

This happened to us twice on a move across the county. I can't believe the amount of info on this. Three different Ford dealers knew all about this problem, but Ford refuses to accept responsibility. We are done the Ford and trying to get the word out to the rest of the world. Even though this issue appears to be well known on line, we didn't know about it until it happened to us. Ford must be spending a lot of money to keep this quiet,

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Sep 032010

F-150 4x4

- , Warner Robins, GA, USA

Feb 142010

F-150 Supercrew 5.4L V8

I spent ALL DAY in front of an auto parts place borrowing tools and trying to put a spark plug back in that blew out of my 5.4L Triton v8. The temp. was in the upper 30's and the wind was blowing about 15 mph. Sure would have been nice if Ford had the balls to take responsibility for this defective design and issued a recall to fix the problem. It has to be a defect considering the huge number of complaints there are for exactly the same problem.

- , Joshua, TX, USA

Apr 242009

F-150 Lightning 5.4L Supercharged

3 spark plug blew out of head and ruined coil when it exited the head. Ford dealer stated it was a known problem but Ford wouldn't issue a recall. Found website named blownoutsparkplug.com and flew their tech out to where the vehicle was and it was repaired where it sat. The owners of this niche business are Ric and Dave Mahlmeister based out of Southern California. It took Dave a little over 2 hours to fix the head, replace spark plugs and inspect all spark plug threads. The fix is guaranteed. Cost for this fix is 800.00 plus airfare and expenses if overnight stay is involved. This figure includes up to 2 thread replacement inserts, new spark plugs and new coil. I highly recommend this website in lieu of paying Ford 4K to pull the engine and replace the head, which is what is recommended by Ford.

- , Hermiston, OR, USA

Apr 292009

F-150 XLT 4.6L V8 Triton

Blew spark plug from cylinder head. Out of truck for awhile. Did internet search. Lots of similar complaints. Problem has even spawned businesses to address the repairs. That tells me alot. I asked a 25-year Ford tech about it. He admitted to the problem. Ford doesn't admit to anything.

- , Seal Beach, CA, USA