2002 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Ford F-150:

2002 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Aug 152010

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Gas tank straps broke, gas tank fell onto pavement. Had my truck towed to my Ford dealer where they replaced the straps for about $200. If this had happened 5 minutes later, I would have been going 60 mph! updated 09/14/11 the tank fell to the ground, while the vehicle was sitting. There was no fuel spill. The dealer replaced the straps. Updated 09/21/11

- East Concord, NY, USA

May 012011

I heard on the radio about a possible upcoming recall on Ford F150 pickup trucks (1997-2001). This is in relation to gas tank straps getting rusty and breaking. I then decided to look under my truck which is a 2002 Ford F150 and discovered two gas tank straps completely rusted through/off with the tank no longer being supported by straps. The truck is only a 2002, but I think the problem goes beyond the 2001 trucks per the potential recall.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Jun 082011

The front gas tank support hanger broke due to corrosion. The rear hanger held the tank in place until I was able replace both units. The rear hanger did not break but was severely corroded also. I don't know what would have happen if I would have lost both units together while driving down the road.

- Madawaska, ME, USA

Jun 122011

I smelled gas fumes near my 2002 F150 truck. Looked underneath to inspect where smell was coming from and found the back brace on the gas tank broken off and rusted out hole in the tank where the brace was supposed to be.

- Middleboro, MA, USA

Jun 082011

F-150 8-cyl

I had driven 4 to 5 miles at 40 to 45 mph and was a 1 block from my destination. I had to stop for a stop sign and make a right turn. While making the turn I thought I hit something, but the street was clear" I turned the radio off and opened the window to here something dragging. I stopped at that time maybe 100 yards from where I last stopped. My speed was 20 to 25 mph. I got out and looked under the truck and the gas tank was sitting on the ground.the front of the tank was on the ground the back was still elevated. The filler hose and fuel lines were the only thing holding the tank. Both hangers were broken, rusted thru. If I was driving at highway speed, I do not believe I would have a truck left. I also understand that 2001 and earlier F150's were recalled for the tank hangers and I would suggest it be expanded. Asap! my Ford dealer 4 weeks earlier had inspected my vehicle at my request for regular maintenance and repairs before my vacation trips. The service tech never looked at my tank straps even knowing previous years had a problem" Ford should have caught this before it happened again. The biggest complaint after is the Ford dealership told me it was not a part of any recall and they knew nothing about it. Which I do not believe! I have the straps if anyone cares to examine them from your office.

- Tinley Parl, IL, USA

May 272011

Fuel tank dropped to the road while driving causing the truck to be engulfed in flames. Driver made it out with first and second degree burns. Two dogs in the back seat died in the fire. Initial investigation by the insurance investigator determined that it was the fuel tank straps that failed. There is an investigation (PE10036) by the NHTSA for fuel tank straps on Ford F-150S 1999-2001. The 2002 and 2003 F-150 use the same straps. Larry hershman of NHTSA has contacted me about this incident. Updated 06/13/11 & 06/14/11 updated 08/11/11 updated 3/01/2012

- Wakefield, RI, USA

Mar 142011

F-150 8-cyl

Fuel tank straps rusted out resulting in gas tank dropping. Updated 09/14/11 the consumer stated the fuel tank was damaged and had to be replaced. Updated 09/16/11

- Orland Park, LA, USA

May 202011

While driving at highway speed my 2002 Ford F-150 dropped the fuel tank and the tank was dragged for approximately 1/4 mile wile I attempted to maneuver across three lanes of traffic to the breakdown lane. This created a hole in the tank as it was dragged against the pavement. I had just filled the tank and all 25 gallons was lost on the side of the highway. The vehicle was towed to the dealership and I am waiting for the estimate for repair.

- Sturbridge, MA, USA

Jun 152010

F-150 8-cyl

2002 Ford F150 5.4L V-8 2-wheel drive, regular cab, 8ft bed... broken gas tank strap...walked out and noticed my gas tank was hanging down...investigation revealed a broken gas tank strap...bound it back up with a ratchet-strap, and drove to the Ford dealer...purchased a new strap and placed it on the vehicle in the parking lot...

- Newark, OH, USA

May 142011

One gas tank strap was found to be rusted and the tank at an angle. It was inspected by a local Ford dealer, who found that the gas tank was also rusted and leaking. The gas tank and straps were replaced. Because the model year was not in the date range of the recent recall, we had to pay $793. A power steering pump was also leaking and replaced. The gas tank was the major item of concern.

- Akron, OH, USA

Sep 182009

F-150 6-cyl

2002 Ford F150 fuel tank mounting straps failed due to corrosion and permitted fuel tank to drop to pavement while driving.

- Huntingtonj, IN, USA

Aug 092009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contacted was driving 65 mph when both fuel tank straps fractured. The straps were rusted and corroded and also causing the fuel tank to detach from the vehicle. The fuel tank also caused the drive shaft to fail while the vehicle was in motion and the contact could not control the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a local mechanic shop and was repaired. The dealer was not contacted and the manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 86,442 and the current mileage is 92,000. Updated 6/8/11 updated 06/16/11

- O'fallon, MO, USA

May 122011

F-150 6-cyl

1. there was not an event leading up to the failure. 2. gas tank straps broke 3. I have not fixed yet, will most likely fix on my own.

- Homer, NY, USA

May 102011

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F150. The contact noticed that the metal strap for the rear fuel tank was fractured as a result of rust. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The failure mileage was approximately 38,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Seekonk , MA, USA

May 072011

The contact owns a 2002 Ford F-150. The contact was driving approximately 40 mph when the fuel tank detached and fell from under the vehicle. The vehicle was pulled over and towed to the contacts home. The contact also stated that the brake lines were also damaged when the fuel tank detached. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The failure and current mileage was 155,000.

- Averill Park, NY, USA

Mar 052011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2002 F150 I had to have the gas tank straps replaced one failed, how come the investigation is only going to 2001.

- Sagamore Beach, MA, USA

May 072011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Fuel tank strap broke allowing fuel tank to drop and nearly break free from the vehicle.

- Waymart, PA, USA

Jun 062009

After hearing about the F150 fuel strap problem I decided to report a rusted and busted strap on my 2002 F150. A friend noticed the strap hanging down so I was able to fix it before it fell. Mi.

- Pinellas Park, FL, USA

Mar 152011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

We filled the gas tank of our 2002 Ford F-150 and drove about three blocks away from the gas station. The fuel tank dropped off the bottom of the truck and dragged on the ground leaking fuel everywhere. We were lucky it was raining at the time as I believe otherwise the tank would have caused a spark on the road and we'd have had a large fire with my children in the truck. It cost quite a bit of money to repair the truck, pay the fire department for clean up and tow the vehicle. We called our local Ford dealer after our mechanic told us he sees F-150's with the fuel tank straps rusted and broken pretty regularly. We were told there was no recall so we would not be reimbursed. Now (2 months later) I hear there will be a recall but it will include 1997-2001 trucks only. Ours is a 2002 with the exact same problem and I've read Ford used the same fuel tank straps on 1997-2003 F-150's. updated 08/05/11 the consumer stated the rear strap broke and the front strap broke from the weight of the tank and they broke in the middle due to rust. Updated 08/15/11

- Champaign, IL, USA

Mar 152011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Straps that secure the fuel tank rusted. One strap rusted completely through and was hanging loose-- the other was very close to failure. I was able fortunately to get to a garage --and I had the straps replaced. I just recently saw the notice about other instances of this happening and I decided to file a complaint. My truck is one year newer than what is being looked at.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA