2003 Ford F-150 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford F-150:

2003 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jul 172016

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the fuel tank failed. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle emitted a popping noise. The contact was able to coast onto the shoulder, inspected the vehicle, and found that the fuel tank separated from the strap due to corrosion. The vehicle was towed to the contact's home. The dealer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V385000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Cary, NC, USA

Mar 282016

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the fuel tank strap fractured and the fuel tank drop to the ground. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician confirmed that both fuel tank straps fractured due to corrosion and as a result, the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The technician made the contact aware that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V385000 (fuel system, gasoline). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Hansen, NE, USA

Jun 212015

While driving my truck with my wife & son, we heard a loud pop, like a gun shot, then my truck started to run real rough, I found a coil, & a spark plug had been blown out of the engine, because of the fuel build up & the spark from the truck still running we are lucky that the truck did not catch fire.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 142015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Gas tank straps corroded/broke causing the tank to drop and leak. Excessive rust at bottoms of all four doors.

- Swords Creek, VA, USA

Nov 202014

Another cracked passenger side manifold on regularly serviced vehicle. Ford Motor Company should issue recall or provide "goodwill" based on the number of failed components being reported by Ford owners.

- Stony Point, NY, USA

Sep 072014

My 2003, Ford F-150 blew a spark plug for the fourth time yesterday. Each time a different plug. I was heading to church and "pop". we were just getting on the on ramp when it happen. Four time now and each time I have to pay to get it fixed. Right now I can't afford to fix it and it's sitting in my yard...

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Mar 122014

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the vehicle was parked in a residential garage when it was noticed that there was a substantial gasoline fuel leak. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where the fuel tank was replaced due to excessive corrosion near the passenger's side fuel tank straps. The manufacturer was notified of the problem and advised the contact that there were no recalls for the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 113,000.

- Watertown, CT, USA

Sep 102013

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-150. The contact stated while having routine maintenance performed by an independent mechanic he was informed that the gasoline tank was leaking. The dealer notified the contact of NHTSA recall campaign number: 11V385000 (fuel system, gasoline). The vehicle was taken to a dealer for repair but was informed that they would only repair the vehicle if the gasoline tank was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 200,000.

- Athens, NY, USA

Dec 062012

Used 2003 Ford F150 I ordered a $100. NY inspection, the service advisor informed me that this truck had a problem, the fuel tank straps recall his records showed on paper that it was done, but upon a physical inspection it was not done, only some make shift wires to hold up the gas tank the service advisor gave the wires to me to show you he contacted the Ford dealer in Massachusetts they said it was not their responsibility since they had closed the case my service advisor then informed me that he would call ┐┐Ford special assistance he said they denied the assistance after the call he informed that it would be my responsibility to pay for new straps and the installation labor and taxes. It is my understanding that the vehicle manufacture is responsible to care for this problem and through their dealers. Especially gas tank straps!! and also it seems logical that the recall is to the vehicle, not the customer. In this case their records are saying that it was done and then finding that it is not. The service advisor made his attempts to get it done through Ford, but could not. This is most reprehensible, and crooked on someone part, the other dealer and now Ford. The other dealer did get paid for something they did not do, and now Ford will not take care of this. The advisor gave me the customer service # to ┐┐fomoco┐. the fomoco agent then told me that, it was between the dealerships and he assured me that they would handle the matter. When I called back the service manager he said my hands are tied, the other dealer would not reopen the case and Ford special assistance would not back any thing up. If I wanted to pass the emission and safety inspection and register my truck I would have to pay the bill I have been given the run-around thank you

- Katonah, NY, USA