7.6

1. complete driveshaft replacement (3 reports)
  2. complete drive shaft replaced (1 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Oct 102016

F-150 4x4 5.4L

I love my Ford, but I can't do this anymore. Two pulleys went out which tore up the serpentine belt---$2000/took 3 times before the right pulleys were shipped----window regulator went out (driver's side), took 4 times before the right part shipped----and now, this. The universals in the rear shaft went out, and there are not replacements----like the book says there is. They are all 1/16th of an inch short. The truck is sitting in the repair shop and will be there awhile---I cannot afford to fix it. No back-up car, have to get to work to pay my bills. Am going to end up losing my job and consequently my home over this---thanks a lot FORD!!!!!

- , Flushing, MI, USA

Jun 132007

F-150 Extended Cab 4.6L

Drive Shaft would stick inside rear end. Was told there wasn't enough lube in spline area. They had to replace drive shaft.

- , Nazareth, PA, USA

Aug 122014

F-150 Triton

This will be the 3rd major repair on the truck. Transmission at 82,000. miles...new rear end at 135,000 miles and now driveline at 167,000 miles. Total piece of crap truck. Been in and out of the shop since first week we had it. Paid $42,000 in 04 with 32 miles on it. This truck is a LEMON since day one. Ford should step up!!!

- , napa, CA, USA

Sep 152010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

A u joint for 158 dollars? Oh, but it comes with the tool to cut out the old one. Thanks, Ford

- , Fredonia, NY, USA

Jun 012010

F-150 4.6L V8

In 2004 Ford decided to use non replaceable U-Joints. These U-Joints are "pressed" in instead of using the conventional C clamps. When one of the three joints started having a problem I went to the local Advance Autoparts for a replacement. Although the U-joint was available for the "Heritage" model for $9.00 there were no listed for my "new style". I have learned that the entire 3 U-joints, the carrier bearing and the 3 part shaft has to be replaced for $700-$800!!! Ford did fix the problem for 2005+ by using conventional C clip U-joints, but that doesn't help me. This is a defect and Ford should fix the problem for the typical $9 a piece. I have been driving Ford Trucks for over 20 years and over 600,000 miles, between this and the defective window regulators I'm not sure my next one will be a Ford. non replaceable u-joint

- , Kerrville, TX, USA