2004 Ford F-150 engine problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Feb 252010

F-150

The 'engine fuel control module' on my 2004 Ford F-150 4X4 extended cab, 6 3/4ft bed, 5.4L 3V engine 4X4 has failed due to poor design. The module is located under the bed of the truck, and cracks when hit by pebbles that are inevitably kicked up. Water then gets into it and it fails causing the vehicle to stop and not run at all. Once the mechanic found out what the issue was, he then tried to order the part. The module is on national back order, 3 months I'll have to wait to receive it. This is my only source of transportation and I do not know what to do. I paid over $300 for this vehicle and now I cannot drive it because of a $77 part that I cannot get. Ford should be held responsible for this issue and the time that I will not be able to use it. If it is on 'national back order', then obviously there is a design issue and a recall should be issued. 3 months back order is not acceptable. Is Ford Motor Co going to give me a ride to work, the doctors, etc while I wait for the part to come in? something has to be done. Please do your best to look into this and find a solution. Thank you again for your time and consideration.

- Lincoln, RI, USA

Jan 012010

F-150 8-cyl

Plug failure in V8-Triton engines they break off in the heads of the engines is one problem causing a 300 dollar tune up to sky rocket all the way up to 2800 dollars this is all Triton 3 valve motors Ford said the fixed the problem they did not and they still break. The other problem is that some of the plugs blow out the heads causing a sudden power loss and possible accidents when I contacted the dealer all they would do is give me a price quote against broken plugs trying to take them out they said it falls under warranty restrictions and that's not fair because one of the selling points about the truck was no need for a tune up for $100 thousand miles you can't hit that number 3 years 3600 miles there are a lot angry people out there because of this me included and I believe it falls under a dangers vehicle problem I no they have fixed other people trucks over the warranty and I had to fix my on truck after it stop running and I couldn't get a attorney I am handicap and don't have the money it took at least week to get the plugs out by my self the new plugs cost a $103 and the time crawling around because my legs or bad I figure 100,000 would be fair or may plugs paid and a trade for new tires.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Oct 212009

F-150

Had tune up on vehicle at 100,140 miles, per manufacture requirements. Incurred additional costs due to two spark plugs exploiting in block. Mechanic said this is a regular problem, see technical bulletin. Ford has a special way or tool for fixing this problem. Q: I am requesting research be done to see if recall should be in place for this issue in the Ford F150. Q: how many Ford owners have had same repair" Q: what are requirements by this Agency for issuing recalls"

- Olathe, KS, USA

Oct 202009

F-150

I have a Ford 2004 F150 5.4 L Triton engine (3 valve) and it has 51,777 miles on it as of today. I called dave sinclair Ford to check on having the spark plugs changed. They informed me that this job is has been a major problem because the spark plugs designed and made for the 2004 model break off because of poor design. This breaking of the spark plugs has been adding on 1000 to 2000 extra dollars because they have to take special measures and use special tools to fix this issue. Ford Motor Co. Has had the spark plug redesigned as of 2006 and has also issued a tsb special instruction for removing the defective plugs. The tsb 06-15-2 can be found on www.etoolcart.com/06152.pdf. Ford has acknowledged that their is a problem however, they will not offer to cover all of the extra chargers that are added on due to this defective spark plug issue. A recall should have been issued as soon as they changed out the spark plug design, added the tsb bulletin, or when they started having special tools made for the job. Ford needs to take care of its consumers and offer a recall for all of the 5.4 L Triton engines that are having this problem. I have contacted mike detwiler, service manager, at dave sinclair Ford. I have contacted Ford Motor Corp. And made two complaints and they were sent to engineering. Everybody acknowledges that this is a major problem, however; Ford will not cover this issue and I cannot even use my extended warranty that I purchased extra to help cover unjustly expenses.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Sep 012009

F-150

2004 Ford F150 with 4.6 engine. 140,616 miles. #2 spark plug blew out of head. Had to have heli-coil insert installed.

- Lincoln University, PA, USA

Aug 012009

F-150

Ford dealership broke all 8 of my spark plugs, initially my repair cost was $609 before they broke my plugs and after they are charging me $3200 to fix something that was not caused by me.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 132009

F-150

Own 2004 F150 while taking off from stop in traffic herd load pop and power loss.blew out number #3 spark plug. Took to dealership for repair they told me they see this alot installed insert for repair $534 told me not to use truck for towing anything anymore. Called Ford about problem was told that this was a service problem. Found over 1000 complaints on line for same thing someone is going to get killed if this is not resolved a loss of power like this or fire from fuel blowing out of the cylinder and NHTSA calling this not a safety problem. Someone needs to wake up!

- Burton, MI, USA

Jun 022009

F-150

2004 Ford F150 caught on fire while driving. Burned to a total loss.

- Kalispell, MT, USA

Mar 302009

F-150

Ford F150 spark plugs breaking.

- Hartwell, GA, USA

Mar 302009

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. When the contact inspected the vehicle, he noticed that a spark plug was loose and created a hole on top of the cylinder. The spark plug was defective and caused all the other spark plugs to come out of place. The manufacturer stated that they would not assist with the repair. The vehicle will not be repaired. The current and failure mileages were 90,000.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

May 312008

F-150

The vehicle wrench light came on and the engine quit. Had I been on a freeway, a serious accident might have occurred. I called the warranty service for a wrecker as it was still in warranty. About 40 minutes later, the wrecker arrived and the driver asked me if I had tried to restart the engine. I hadn't, tried, and it started. I researched the internet and found some information including a suggestion to disconnect the battery to reset the computer. Unfortunately, I did that and when I took it to the dealer the following Tuesday they couldn't tell what caused the problem. It happened again on March 25, 2009. Again, I was glad I was on a side street. I will take the truck to the dealer Tuesday even though the warranty has expired as this could be a very serious problem on a highway.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Feb 102009

F-150

I have a Ford F150 and one of the spark plugs just jumped out. This is the original plug from the factory. The service man at the Ford dealer said he had never seen that happen before. Checking the net there are many complaints about the problem. They wanted to replace the head for 4K. I called around and found out about putting a sleeve in for four hundred.

- Canyon Lake, TX, USA

Mar 112009

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. Approximately thirty minutes after parking the vehicle in the garage, the contact heard a noise and found the vehicle on fire. The fire department arrived, but could not determine the origin of the fire. A report was filed. The flames were located in the rear cab of the vehicle. The insurance company declared the vehicle to be destroyed. There were no injuries. The failure mileage was 46,000. Updated 4/23/09 updated 04/27/09.

- Fernando, MS, USA

Apr 012008

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. The contact took the vehicle in for a routine tune-up in 2007. A few months later, he had to replace the motor. On March 9, 2008, the vehicle stalled and the check engine indicator illuminated. He took the vehicle to a repair shop and the diagnostic indicated that the timing chain slipped and caused the metal clips to fail. The manufacturer stated that because a Ford dealer did not replace the motor, they would not assist with the repairs. The vehicle was repaired at the cost of $1,893 at an independent repair shop. The failure mileage was 94,000 and current mileage was 95,000. Updated 0424/09. Updated 04/27/09.

- Thornton , CO, USA

Oct 102004

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F150. When the contact depressed the brake pedal, the vehicle would stall. The failure also occurred when turning the vehicle at less than 5 mph. The rpms would drop to zero before the vehicle stalled and jerked as if it were attempting to proceed forward. The dealer could not duplicate the failures. The contact discovered that by placing a higher grade of fuel into the vehicle, the failures would temporarily cease for a few months. The failure mileage was 17,000 and current mileage was 103,000.

- Midlothian, TX, USA

Nov 132008

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. While driving approximately 60-65 mph, the contact heard several loud pops. The vehicle began jerking and idling roughly. He shifted into neutral and allowed the vehicle to coast to stop at an intersection. The vehicle was driven back to his residence and then towed to a local repair shop. The mechanic stated that the number 1, 3, and 5 spark plugs detonated and destroyed the heli-coil for the number 5 cylinder. The vehicle was repaired. The dealer and manufacturer have not been notified. The current mileage was 63,424 and failure mileage was 63,400. Updated 02-18-09 updated 02/18/09.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Oct 202008

F-150 Diesel

2004 F150 5.4 Triton sounds like a diesel engine took to dealer for diagnosis at aprox. 30,000 miles. Dealer stated that this is normal. Engine failed at 98,000 miles due to valve timing issues, related to cam phasers. Thus cam shaft quit rotating allowing pistons to collide with vales causing engine failure. Dealer now wants $7624 to replace engine. The Ford dealership states that they have not seen this type of engine failure. But after reviewing the complaints on this site along with many other web sites related to this issue it seems that fomoco knows that this is a serious issue and they are unwilling to address the issue. What can be done to have fomoco address and compensate for these issues.

- Brighton, MI, USA

Oct 062008

F-150

I bought the Ford truck F 150 5.4 motor 2004 new. I went into the Ford house to get plugs and wires changed. About two hours later they come out holding a sparkplug, saying they need to keep my truck for a couple days because these size of motors blow out spark plugs and part of your plug has fallen into the motor. They said this happen all the time, but it has not been recalled yet. I sent Ford a letter also, I just don T know where to go from here. Thanks for your help!

- Clovis , NM, USA

Aug 112008

F-150

2004 Ford F150 5,4 camshaft failure been waiting 2 months on part Ford says unavailable could take another 2 months Ford says over 800 camshafts on back order there are no aftermarket parts even available there are 3 trucks in the same Ford dealership with same problem.

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Apr 232007

F-150

The contact owns a 2004 Ford F-150. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle sporadically stalled and the engine warning light illuminated on the instrument control panel. Speed was not a factor. The dealer replaced the fuel throttle sensor and cleaned the throttle body. Several days later, the failure recurred. The dealer stated that she would have to pay for ten hours of diagnostic fees before they could determine the cause of the failure. The technician stated that the vehicle had a history of stalling prior to the contact making the purchase. The vehicle has not been repaired. The contact called the manufacturer and was referred back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 40,601 and current mileage was 57,700.

- Woodlake, CA, USA