7.0

1. replace the lines (2 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 steering problems

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Sep 102013

F-150 XL 5.4L

We were far from home and the power steering pump began to whine. I checked the fluid level and found the reservoir nearly empty! I added P.S. fluid and in another 150 miles was out of fluid againl I made it home, brought the truck to a service facility and they found a rusted out cooling line to the power steering.This truck is kept garaged, and when we drive in the winter, we wash the truck underneath frequently to hold back the effects of road salt. This cooling line is under the front bumper beneath the radiator...it is not made of galvanized pipe and is fairly well exposed. The service facility cut off the metal line and replaced it with rubber, which doesn't rust, however, I noted with some alarm the extent of corrosion and rust on other exposed parts such as the transmission linkage. I have to wonder what sort of poor quality corrosion prone metal Ford is using.

- , Ontonagon, MI, USA

Jan 282010

F-150 XL 4.6L

When my truck needed a oil change i went and took it to mobil and they repalced the oil and oil filter. but the next day when i was driving it it was a little hard to steer so i went to napa threw in some steering fluid and i was good to go. but the next day the gauge was reading low so i look under the truck and there was a huge puddle of steering fluid so i had a little steering fluid left so i therw it in and went to ford and the lady told me that the truck was to old for its age. i told her i had a 91 f150 never had to replace the steering lines on that so i got it fixed $427.62 so thanks ford. and i never drive this truck off road so i guess beware and dont go to mobil

- , Saratoga, NY, USA