1. replace transmission (13 reports)
  2. have transmission rebuilt (9 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 transmission problems

transmission problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 252010

F-150 STX 4.6L V8

I bought this truck 6 months ago, used, with no problems. Never had a single problem. Changed the oil, flushed the transmission, changed the fuel filter. Drove great, had no problems. Then one day the transmission developed a whine. Ford told me "don't worry about it, it is normal". It got worse and I took it to Ford one more time and was told the EXACT same thing. I had to pay for these visits because I had no warranty at the time.

Thanks Ford, I now have a blown transmission. This is AFTER I got advice from Ford, and after I changed my transmission fluid filter, and the fluid, and after a transmission flush. It drove fine, and one day a trans fault came up, and it never drove again. Ford will never have my business. They need to do a recall on this year transmission.

F*ck you Ford. I lost my job because of you, my apartment, all because you didn't want to let me know what my problem was before it became a real problem. Maybe if there was a recall done my faith in Ford would be restored, but we all know a costly recall like that would never be done.

- , Mesquite, TX, USA

Jun 052010

F-150 Heritage 4.6L V6

I had a 6-year, 60,000 mile warranty and the transmission went out at 62,000. Now I'm out almost $3,000.00 to have it replaced.

- , West Chester, OH, USA

Nov 052009

F-150 Lariat 4X4 Crew Cab 5.4L Triton V8

After investigating this problem, I discovered that there are hundreds of Ford owners who experienced the same problem.....transmission going out due to planetary gears or something like's a common problem but Ford isn't doing anything about it...some owners reported transmission failure with as little as 40K miles....mine went out at 81K.......there is also a problem with a little gadget under the hood that gets wet or damp and causes the 4X4 to engage due to a short in the circuit and this happens while driving down the road which can cause more damage........I'm beginning to realize that Fords aren't built so TOUGH after all.

- , Marietta, GA, USA

Jun 302009

F-150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 5.4L

Ford Tough? I think NOT. Here is an example of why the US auto makers will die without continual Government intervention. This big bad F150 is a family "grocery grabber" not a construction vehicle or a towing workhorse. The overdrive busted and then the entire transmission failed. Not even 10,000 miles past the warranty limit. The dealership nor the factory wanted to do anything to make it less financially painful. make no mistake I will never buy a Ford product again and I will pass on the word whenever possible. Tough truck my ass.

- , San Mateo, CA, USA

Aug 032009

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

This vehicle was maintained through the dealership under a service agreement I paid $1200 for at purchase. All maintenance including oil changes were performed by the dealership up to 36,000 mi. this included transmission service. At approx. 31000 mi., my rear differential failed. They replaced the ring and pinion assembly, and moved on. At approx. 48000mi., the same indication of rear differential failure began; whining at certain highway speeds, then intermittent loss of power at certain speeds. Finally, the transmission completely failed, and the truck had to be towed to the dealer. I complained to Ford's CSC in Florida, and was told FMC would not replace or even subsidize repair of the problem. The dealer offered me $500 off the total cost of $3800 for a new transmission. This unacceptable. Please make Ford aware of your similar issues, or we will never get relief...

I am devastated; I have no credit due to a divorce, and just got laid off. I need my vehicle to survive, and no one has any compassion for the situation. Any drivetrain failure below 70000 mi. in this current technological environment is ridiculous at best.

Update from Sep 17, 2009: The Dealership, Gullo Ford In Conroe, Texas is going to repair the vehicle at no cost to me!

They are taking the hit for Ford Motor, and I think that is awful, but they are going to keep me as a loyal customer...

- , Spring, TX, USA

Dec 132005

F-150 Larait 5.4L

i bought a 2004 f150 5 years ago and since i have lifted it 8' and have 40'tires and everything u can think of and i took it into ford because the 4x4 wasn't working, so they call me and say my trans is blown up, i asked them how since i drove it there? they told me it wouldn't go into gear in the lot, so they said a new one would be 2500 plus labor! not down for that so i got one for 1000 and got it done privately then i take it back get the 4x4 fixed that was still broken there where 2 sensors that where damaged and they charged me 900$ to repair,that was 3 months ago and its broken again, i guess that part missed the ford tuff line, i have so many problems i don't even have time to start with them all,new transfer case 2500$,new drive shaft and uni 1500$,new gears in rear diff 800$,new alternator 250$,both headers 3000$,4x4 is broken 2000$ x 2, knocks and sounds like a washing machine,both front wheel bearings at 240$ a piece...................i paid 51k new and since ford didn't put the lift kit in i have no warranty even tho it was done at a licensed shop so iv had to make a 700$ payment and pay to keep this piece of sh*t thing running.....i can smell a new motor down the road...truck is bullshit

- , Duncan, BC, Canada

Aug 222008

F-150 XLT

my Ford F150 has a whining noise in transmission. I took to dealer and was told it was going to have to be replaced at a price of 2500.00. The truck has only 41000 miles on it and has not been use for heavy towing. This is not the only ford i have had with transmission problems. I will never buy another Ford product.

- , Iowa Falls, IA, USA

May 162007

the torque converter, filter 1-2piston, third piston, low band, o/d band, valve body, accu problem and other things that caused the transmission to go out I cant read what the repairman wrote had to get it rebuilt so we could get home we were stranded for 2 days in a different city.

- , Nevada, TX, USA