7.7

1. replace window regulators (19 reports)
2004 Ford F-150 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

2004 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Jun 132013

F-150 Extended Cab 4.6L

I woke up one morning to look out my kitchen window to see my passenger window open. My first thought was someone smashed my window out. Here the window fell down inside the door. It cost me $380.00 to get it fixed at the dealer. I wasn't aware of a window problem with 2004 Ford F-150 .

- , Nazareth, PA, USA

May 032016

F-150 Extended Cab 4.6L

I was driving down the road when the driver side window fell down inside the door during a rain storm. This is the second time this happened in three years. The window problem happened during a rainy week here in the east. When you own a Ford F-150 you need to carry plastic and tape with you at all times. In three years I will have spent roughly over $700.00 for a plastic part failure. I feel Ford should repair or reimburse owners for the repairs.

- , Nazareth, PA, USA

Feb 182015

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

First Offense (60k miles-ish): Loaned the vehicle to a friend who has young, unruly kids and it came back with a broken rear window regulator. Fairly irritating, but assumed it was abuse due to the kids playing with switches. Replaced it myself for $138.

Second Offense (61k miles): Driving home in a massive monsoon and passenger side window starts slowly opening. Pushed the up switch and it fell all the way down. Had to drive home 30 miles with the window wide open in a massive storm... the kind where wipers are on high and you still can't see the road. The entire passenger side of the truck was soaked. When disassembling and analyzing the problem this time, I found the problem was the nubbin on the end of the cable pulled out of the cheap plastic connector. Again, replaced it myself for $138.

After the second offense and analyzing what I determined to be a terrible design, I researched this problem to see if it was just me or this was a common issue. It's appalling the number of complaints about this. Ford should be ashamed of themselves.

- , Honolulu, USA

Aug 242015

F-150 XLT 4.6L

This is the fourth time this has happened on my vehicle. Just rolled down my window and it went crashing inside, but this time it didn't break. Ford has had numerous complaints on the actuators but still won't recall...Except for my 77 AMC Gremlin that I got when I turned 16, and have always purchased Fords... big let down....

- , Paris, MO, USA

Jun 242009

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Four door truck with second window regulator broken. Fixed with part from parts store.

Mar 152007

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Fixed myself with better after market parts purchased from auto parts store.

Feb 252012

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Replace forth regulator in four door truck. Part from auto parts store.

Jul 222010

F-150 FX4 5.4L

Third regulator broken on four door truck fixed myself.

Jul 052013

F-150

Every single window in my truck has fell down in the door. I've had 3 fixed all ready one twice now once again same problem i have contacted Ford about issue. They said there is no recall on windows. Well when you're riding down the road and a window falls, your family gets real cold and sick. It also put family in danger, if we had a wreck. All I ask is Ford to step up an protect and guarantee their product when there is a problem. I love my truck ! That is the only issue I have ever had with it.

- , Homer, GA, USA

Aug 082014

F-150 XLT 5.4L

My first driver's side window just disappeared at 70 mph on interstate. I call my repair shop. Was informed that this happens all the time, a cheap plastic piece breaks and the window just slides down. A few hours later and with $400 less cash on hand. I call Ford! Did you know they have never heard of this problem.

Where I'm going with this is since May 2013 and yesterday 8/7/2014, I have replace the right rear window, same broken cheap plastic part, and yesterday 8/7/2014, I replaced the left rear window, same cheap broken part. What's wrong here??? Ford motor company would never tell a customer they have no knowledge of a common repair problem their customers are having to deal with... OR WOULD THEY?

- , Round Rock, TX, USA

Sep 062013

F-150

I lost the passenger rear window regulator when I walked out of a grocery store on my way to Ocrakoe NC. JUST before I was getting on the ferry. As luck would have it I had the part as my friend, who is a mechanic, and had replaced 2 others for me had told me to get it and he would replace the last one. We had not counted on doing it on vacation. But there he was in the parking lot of our temporary abode tearing my door panel off. Had he and his girlfriend not been w/ me, my vacation would have been ruined because how does one leave one's truck without a window for 4 days in a parking lot?

I lost the driver side front window regulator during a snow storm and then the driver rear window regulator on a Sunday morning in Aug on my way to the marina. That same evening driving home on Rt 95 in Northern Virginia, where the speed limit is equal to a NASCAR race, I lost the passenger side front window regulator. That meant taping plastic over the window for the night. I took the door panel off, since by this time I had enough experience at watching it being done, and jimmied the window up. I used a wood shim to hold until I could get both fixed.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Aug 252013

F-150

After losing the driver side front window regulator during a snow storm and then the driver rear window regulator on a Sunday morning in Aug on my way to the marina. That same evening driving home on Rt 95 in Northern Virginia, where the speed limit is equal to a NASCAR race, I lost the passenger side front window regulator. That meant taping plastic over the window for the night. I took the door panel off, since by this time I had enough experience at watching it being done and jimmied the window up. I used a wood shim to hold until I could get both fixed.

2 wks later I lost the passenger rear. I'm reporting each as a separate incident. So now all 4 window regulators have been replaced.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

Sep 202014

F-150 FX4 5.4L

No recall on such a wide spread failure. Just bought driver's side and passenger side to hopefully get two years out of them before they break again...

- , Colville, WA, USA

Jul 102014

F-150 XLT 5.4L V8

Second window regulator to fail on my truck. First time it was the front driver's side. This time it was the rear passenger side. Luckily, it didn't occur in the middle of a thunderstorm or in the middle of the winter when it's zero degrees. Bound to happen sooner or later though. Shame on Ford for not correcting another known problem with their vehicles. Luckily, I'm up to the task of replacing them myself rather than paying a dealership to do it.

- , Altoona, IA, USA

Aug 042010

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Window regulator/motor went out - the second one on this vehicle.

Jun 022014

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Right side rear window regulator/motor went out - the fourth on this vehicle. Still no response from Ford. I am going to fix this one myself as I've already got over a thousand dollars in regulator repairs. I bought this truck new for $40,000, top of the line. It will be my last purchase from the Ford Motor Company.

Jun 152008

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Window regulator/motor went out on driver's side front. Little did I know that was the first of 4 to fail.

May 302012

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Left rear window regulator/motor went out - the third on this vehicle. By now I'm calling Ford but got no response to my complaints/questions.

Aug 012012

F-150 V8

Why don't Ford build good quality like they use to????

- , Trenton, FL, USA

May 012013

F-150 Lariat 5.4L

Who ever designed this crap need to be shot! I have a 2004 Ford F-150 Lariat and it started with the front passenger window, cables broke, had it fixed. 2 months later, left rear breaks, 1 month later, right rear breaks, last week, driver's door breaks. Who invented a cable system on window regulators, what a moron. This piece of crap truck, at 50,000 miles driver side front wheel bearing goes out, fixed it, 5,000 miles the passenger side front wheel bearing goes out. I told the parts guy at Ford, he ask who put it in, the f*king factory asshole.

I have a 99 Chevy Tahoe, never had a problem with the windows ( because they're not cables), only have 70,000 miles on this piece of sht. All I heard when I was growing up is Ford has a better idea . They got that right, a better idea on how to f**k you over.

- , Arroyo Grande, CA, USA