2006 Ford F-150 body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Mar 132009

I was driving my truck and the power steering felt like it was going out when I placed my truck in 4 wheel drive to drive up my driveway. I immediately called a Ford service department the next morning to have them diagnose the problem. Apparently, the front differential bracket broke away from the frame of the truck and was pushing up into the steering shaft knuckle prohibiting smooth turning. The 3 asc certified mechanics that looked at this advised it was a manufacturer defect because the bracket which should have had approximately an 8 inch weld only had 2 one inch spot welds holding it in place. Until the problem was repaired, I could not use the 4 wheel drive. I was advised by all 3 mechanics that using the 4 wheel drive until repaired could result in a potentially dangerous accident. Ford is aware of this manufacturer defect because they have a repair kit for this problem which is $600. They will not say what the amount of labor is until the repair kit is purchased. I took the vehicle to a local shop who said they could fix it for less than what a Ford service shop would charge. The asc master certified mechanic repaired the problem by simply welding the existing bracket the way it should have been welded by the manufacturer. I contacted Ford Motor Company and they would not take any responsibility for this potentially dangerous problem.

- Idaho Springs, CO, USA