2006 Ford F-150 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford F-150:

2006 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Sep 152016

F-150

Was sitting at a restaurant drive thru with foot on the brake when the brake pedal suddenly went to the floor and the truck started moving. I was able to get the vehicle home and back to the Ford dealership the next morning very carefully and by pumping the brakes to get the vehicle to stop. Was told that the brake line had ruptured. Luckily, I was not towing my 6000 pound boat or going downhill at the time of the failure. I asked if this was common since brake lines are not an item that are routinely inspected or replaced on a normal 17 point inspection. I was told that it was uncommon. I googled the problem and discovered that several other Ford F150 owners of various model years had experienced the same issue. Luckily, there have been no reports of deaths or severe injury, but I am reporting this to hopefully prevent a death from occurring.

- Greenville, SC, USA

Apr 152016

F-150

After countless hours spent diagnosing a dash brake lite warning. These vehicles factory defect is the electronics board or speedometer cluster. Countless people are driving with a brake light on with nothing possibly wrong.when something does go wrong they may not have a clue until the vehicle has no brakes.

- Hinsdale, NH, USA

Jun 192015

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. While driving at 20 mph, the brakes auto engaged without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000. Updated 09/03/15

- Butler, PA, USA

Mar 022015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

2006 F-150 lost all power function while traveling down the interstate. I lost power steering and brakes. The cause is a corrosive fuel pump control module. After taking with my local Ford dealer I was made aware that this is major safety issue and one that fmc refuses to recognize. This incident could have resulted in a major accident. I was lucky enough to be able to signal to the cars around me that I was having trouble - however I was still almost rear ended twice before being able to pull off to the side of the road.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Aug 142014

F-150 8-cyl

Gas and brake pedal are too close together. You could still be giving it gas while you are pushing on the brakes. I see hundreds of complaints about this online.I was pulling into a parking spot when I thought I was applying the brakes the other half of my foot was on the gas causing me to jump the curb and crash into a wall.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Jul 182014

F-150 8-cyl

As a part of regular maintenance I always have well in advance performed scheduled maintenance on my 06 F-150.on Aug 23 2013 I had my rotors and brake pads all replaced as well as having a hi pressure brake fluid change performed as part of this as suggested by the bill currie Ford dealership in tampa. The truck had 83,996 miles on it at this time of service. The truck was rarely driven after that and used only on short trips.of 10-20 miles or less after having the brakes serviced. Friday July 18th 2014..the tuck had only approx. 2000 additional miles on it after the brakes were serviced at bill currie Ford.I and a friend were driving to pickup a washing machine about 30 miles away. Without warning. Upon returning the right wheel began pulling to the right and smoke and a rubber and plastic smell accompanied by smoke starting rising from the right wheel well which was scotching hot. The heat was so intense that when we stopped the plastic wheel cover fell off because its was melted.it was taken to the dealership were the original work was performed. I was informed it was the caliper, that it had seized and that after already having replaced the front rotor several thousand miles before//the right rotor and caliper and brake line would now have to be replaced again..because they said.."we can't tell when a caliper will fail". now it has cost me $2,300,00 to get my brakes done..when initially they were still in safe limits.we were lucky this didn't cause a fire or cause the tire to blow out while on the highway.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

May 302014

F-150

TL-the contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated while driving 5 mph the brake would not engage, it was very hard to apply. The contact had to apply the manual brake to stop. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who noticed the brake booster vacuum hose had collapsed. The contact was made aware of a recall notification under NHTSA campaign id number 08V208000 (service brakes, hydraulic),however, his VIN was not included. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was informed of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 180,000.

- Fond Du Lac, WI, USA

Mar 062014

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was a delayed response. The vehicle had been previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number 08V208000 (service brakes, hydraulic). The failure recurred because the recall remedy failed to correct the problem. The contact diagnosed the vehicle and replaced the manifold hose himself. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000.

- North Platte, NE, USA

Jul 192013

F-150

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F-150. The contact stated that the brakes failed while driving 45 mph. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who advised that the brake booster failed. The contact spoke to the manufacturer and was told that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number:08V208000(service brakes, hydraulic). The failure mileage and current mileages were 101,000.

- West Springfield, MA, USA

Mar 162011

F-150 8-cyl

Driving vehicle drive and overdrive went out this is two times this happened Ford needs to pay for repairs other people have same problem this problem should be looked into.

- Reedsville, PA, USA

Sep 072012

F-150 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford F150. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph during a rain storm and depressing the brakes, the vehicle exhibited and unusually lound double clunking noise as the vehicle skidded and flipped over. The vehicle did not crash into any other object. The police were notified however, a report was not filed. The contact sustained an amputated arm during the crash. The vehicle was towed by the police and was deemed as destroyed. The contact mentioned that just prior to the crash, the vehicle was taken to Firestone for maintenance and the replacement of the rotor and front brake pad. The manufacturer was not notified of the incident. The failure mileage was 78,912. Updated 2/4/13 updated 2/20/2013

- Ft. Pierce , FL, USA

Jun 112009

F-150 8-cyl

The brakes started jumping when I started slowing down and so I replaced the brakes.. and now even with new brake pads they go down to the floor.

- Watts, OK, USA

Nov 262012

F-150 6-cyl

I am 6'5" and wear size 16 shoes. With my size and the distance to the pedal my legs go a little to the side and my shoe is at an angle to the petals lets say 30 degrees. I wearing typical work boot (like in Ford commercials) which the laces have pegs the shoe laces go around. These pegs are the same as all work boots (red wings - $300 boot). What happened is because the brake pedal has a thick rubber pad that stretches around the metal brake pedal and leaves a ridge in the back of the pedal all the way around (so the rubber fitting goes over it like a shower cap). Also the truck is an automatic and the break pedal is very large. While backing up giving just a little gas my boot shoe lace peg got trapped behind the brake pedal and was holding my foot on the gas pedal depressing it down. Because the rubber ridge runs all the way around my pedal (as designed) I could not move my foot to the side of the brake pedal to release the gas. Because of the thickness of my foot when I pressed the break with my other foot, it moves the gas pedal down at the same rate as my foot is trapped, so the more you press the brake the more you give gas at a ratio that does not let me stop the vehicle. (note I use only one foot for the gas and brake normally but with my right foot trapped I had no other choice but to use my left foot to brake and try to get it the truck out of gear. I could not do anything in time and hit a stationary building. If someone was behind me, they would have been killed. The only other way I could have gotten my foot loose is to depress the gas pedal which is not an option in a lot of situations because it would make the speed of the impending impact faster and harder. This is a design flaw that traps work boots and at certain times and causes loose control.

- Redmond , WA, USA