2009 Ford F-150 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

2009 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 302009

Since the day I purchased the truck, typically after being on highway for more than 100 miles, when I accelerate it will hesitate then slam into gear. There is a very loud bang that accompanies it along with a violent slam to the entire truck. Frequently happens when ascending hills.

- Broomall, PA, USA

Apr 132015

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I came home and noticed fluid on my driveway and upon further inspection I found it coming from the wire harness sleeve in the transmission. I called the dealership and they said they are so backed up with this issue and other transmission issues that it would be a month before they could take my truck in. This is a known problem and they are trying to charge $650 dollars to fix it ( $120 in parts and maybe 1 1/2 hrs work).....this needs to be recalled.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

Jun 112013

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and was unable to stop. The contact mentioned that the failure occurred while the cruise control was engaged. Also, the contact stated that in order to control the vehicle, the transmission had to be shifted into the neutral position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Apr 292014

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that all of the transmission fluid leaked out of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the grommet had failed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 71,000 and the current mileage was 71,100.

- Derry, NH, USA

Sep 092010

F-150 8-cyl

Extremely hard downshift malfunction.vehicle violently shudders and slams hard into lower gear.

- Mt Shasta, CA, USA

Aug 142012

F-150 8-cyl

Dropped off vehicle with Ford dealership service adviser and proceeded to waiting area. Vehicle had a steady yellow engine light indicating service is required. Five minutes later, loud engine racing noise, tires squealing and crash impact sound from service bay area. Knowing it was my truck, I went out to the service bay to see it slammed through the far stone wall, about 75 feet from the service desk. Hydraulic fluid was all over the floor, outside and inside of the truck. Service adviser was stunned and crawled out of vehicle claiming it suddenly accelerated and he could not put the vehicle into neutral or park as the engine raced at full RPM. Service adviser was sent to hospital. Ford service manager was concerned and agreed to check engine codes, he talked like he'd seen this happen before. All service engineers were concerned about spontaneous acceleration they all witnessed as the truck miraculously barreled through the service bays without hitting any of the workers. Later in the day, I returned to check status and everyone at dealership changed their story. They will not tell me why the truck accelerated like it did, but will not admit there was human error either.

- Middleton, MA, USA

Jul 102012

F-150 8-cyl

I wa traveling on I-20 East traveling from vicksburg, ms heading to atlanta, ga. I had been using the cruise control consistently for about 3 hours. I also was using the accelerate & decelerate buttons on the steering column. I approached a slight curve in birmingham, al with the cruise control locked in at 60 mph, when all of a sudden the vehicle accelerated full throttle. I applied foot pressure to the brake, but the vehicle would not slow down. It continued to accelerate to about 85 mph. I then somewhat raised up in the seat to apply all the foot pressure I could to the brake. It slowed down slightly. When I took my foot off the brake, it began to speed up again. Next I fumbled with the cruise control buttons to see if they were stuck. The vehicle continued to accelerate. Finally, I moved the gear shift to neutral & the vehicle began to slow down. When I put the vehicle back in drive, everything appeared to be normal. Needless to say, I did not use the cruise control anymore. Thank god, we survived!

- Ellenwood, GA, USA

Dec 012011

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving approximately 5 mph, the contact attempted to shift into park but the shifter would not hold in park. The vehicle was later towed to the dealer where they advised the contact that she needed a new transmission. The vehicle was repaired for the transmission. The manufacturer was contacted and they offered no assistance. The failure and the current mileages were approximately 71,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Frankford, KY, USA

Aug 122009

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

Vehicle vibrates at highway speed seems to come from right rear. Have taken it to three dealers they could not fix problem. Dealer stated all 2009 F-150S do the same. Replaced tires but still has same problem.

- Nashville, IN, USA

Jul 212011

F-150 4WD 8-cyl

I purchased a Ford F150 crew cab 4X4 brand new in 2009. At 35000 kms (+/-), 55000 kms (+/-) and now 90000 kms, the "clutch packs" had to be replaced. When pulling a trailer or boat and the drive train gets hot, the drive train grinds and shakes badly. I spoke to service at dealership & was told this is a common occurrence and several other owners from that dealership alone have had the same complaint. I am worried that when driving at freeway speeds with a trailer attached that something is going to let go and cause a serious accident. Something should be done at Ford to fix this manufacturing defect before someone is seriously injured or killed.

- Listowel, 00, USA

Oct 062009

Vibration felt in feet seat and is noticable in items within the cab of the vehicle. Vehicle has had tires replaced, driveline balanced. Ford dealership says the vehcile has an "inherent vibration" and there is nothing they can do. I wonder if this a safety concern"? why does it vibrate and will something brake" I believe the "inherent vibration" is a defect.

- Benton, KY, USA

Mar 102010

2009 Ford F150 rolled back while in park

- Idaho Falls, ID, USA

Mar 122009

My 2009 Ford F-150 has the reverse sensing system and camera as well as the sync package, so when in reverse the screen shows the objects behind and has parallel lines "truck width" & a center black line to judge where the truck is "aimed" in reverse. On the above date, all the lines disappeared from the screen. The next day the two lines (1/3 green,1/3 orange, 1/3 red were back on the screen as was the black center line. That evening as I left work I checked, no lines again. Same thing the next day, they are there once or twice in am, then disappear. Not a show stopper problem, but makes backing up with the camera a lot more difficult. Plan to approach dealer on this, but how do I show them the problem if I can't "make it happen", hopefully I'll get lucky!!! if someone has had similar experience with this sync computer system, maybe there is a solution existent "??"

- Jacksonville, FL, USA