2009 Ford F-150 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Ford F-150:

2009 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Feb 202010

F-150

At around 3500 miles on my 2009 Ford F150 supercrew, I noticed a mildew smell and condensation forming on the inside of my windows. I did some research and found it is due to liquid in the cab somewhere. I pulled up each kickplate and found the problem to be under my right rear cab kickplate. Water was accumulating down there with all the electrical wires. I took it to the dealer and they stated it was due to the third brake light. It was replaced. At 5000, I noticed the smell again and knew right where to look. I did and had the same problem. Took it back to the dealer and they replaced the same third brake light only they said this one had a stronger seal. I just hit 6500 miles and noticed the same problem and smell, and popped the kickplate and had the water again. I am fixing to call the dealer on Monday to let them know. After looking in my cab I noticed a spot of dried water residue on my headliner. I am going to point this out to them and let them know something is not sealing correctly which could very well compromise the electrical system with all the wires down under the kickplate where the water accumulates.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

May 032010

F-150

Vehicle caught fire while parked. Wires leading into the fuel tank shorted caught bed on fire, but was extinguished in time to stop further damage.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Feb 012010

F-150 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2009 Ford F-150. While reading the owners manual, the contact realized that the vehicles electronic trailer sway control system was disabled. The system was enabled when the vehicle was turned on but when it was turned off, the system disabled and could potentially cause a crash according to the owners manual. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership where the contact was informed that there was no fix for the problem. The failure continued to occur. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 3,000. The current mileage was approximately 13,500 updated 11/19/10 updated 11/23/10

- Santee, CA, USA

Jan 162010

F-150

Ford F-150 2009 lost my cluster for a few second during traveling and came back.

- Repentigny, Quebec Canada, 00, USA

Apr 172009

F-150

I have had no answer to my concern. I purchased a new 2009 Ford XLT four door extended cab pickup in February. In April 2009, I noticed that the inside dash lights (gauges, speedometer, etc.) came on only when it was very dark outside the vehicle. This is true whether the light switch is in the manual or the automatic position. The dash lights will not respond when the headlights are illuminated in the manual or automatic position unless it is very dark outside or you place your finger over the electric eye. The Ford dealer from whom I purchased the vehicle agreed that the dash lights should illuminate whenever the headlights are on and kept the vehicle for five days trying to find the problem. They finally got hold of the Ford Motor Company hot line and were told that the current lighting system for this vehicle is a result of a programming change made by the company for 2009. I was informed that the only solution to my concern would result as a probable recall for all of the vehicles to fix the problem. In late May 2009, I called the Ford Motor Company's relationship center and related the above-stated concern. The representative was very attentive and courteous and indicated that he would forward this information to appropriate departments within the Ford organization. However, he did not feel that I would be getting any responses. I understand the young man's dilemma (it's a technical problem which needs a technical input). I am still wondering whether a Ford company programming change is the cause of the problem or if my concern is justified. I believe there are some safety issues to be addressed, I.e. shouldn't you be able to tell if your headlights are on by glancing at your dash lights during daylight storm conditions?

- Deer Park, TX, USA