3.0

2012 Ford F-150 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 162017

F-150

Started vehicle, left driveway, turned on rear window defroster, and less than a minute later while driving straight at 40mph down a city street, heard an extremely loud pop. Initially thought something hit the truck it was so loud. But then looked in the rear window and realized it had shattered.

- Lakemoor, IL, USA

Jan 092017

F-150

While backing up over a small snow pile on driveway, left pane in back window shattered for no reason. Was going slow and turning at the same time, trying to back into garage.

- Port Sanilac, MI, USA

Dec 242016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. The contact stated that while driving at 10 mph, the rear window defroster system failed to operate without warning. The contact stated that approximately three minutes later, the window shattered. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not able to be diagnosed until the window was replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacture was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Cassville, MO, USA

Dec 202016

F-150

Passenger side rear windshield explosion and small fire when rear defroster was engaged. Vehicle was idle in school carpool line when white smoke appeared to be forming near rear window. The vehicle behind me started beeping and and pointing to my rear window. Suddenly the window exploded with a sound like a rifle report and the glass spiderwebbed on the window. I immediately turned off all climate controls and inspected the damage. The trim was smoldering from the electrical fire and after getting home I took photos and started to investigate the problem as well as contact the dealer. The dealer said there were no recalls and the repairs would likely be out of pocket or via insurance claim. There have been numerous reports involving this issue and the malfunctioning rear defroster system. There is a tsb on the faulty system. Yet there is no effort taken by Ford or the ntsb on mitigating consumer safety risk. Glad my kids had exited the vehicle minutes prior or they may have been hit with small glass shards. This issue remains today as a potential hazard to to consumer and public safety and needs to be addressed by the Ford Motor Company.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Dec 202016

F-150

Rear glass on Ford F150 shattered approximately 2 seconds after I turned on the rear defogger while driving at slow speed on a straight road in a residential subdivision.

- White House, TN, USA

Dec 132016

F-150

Was driving vehicle at 55mph heard a loud bang. Sounded like an explosion! the sound startled me almost causing an accident. The rear window had shattered. Pulled over and got out, the bottom right corner of the window was on fire. Not realizing what was happening I attempted to pour water on it. It continued to burn, then I quickly took a rag from inside the truck and began to try an put out the fire. Between that water, rag and a screw driver the fire was finally out. The fire that was burning was very odd in nature nothing I had ever seen before. I immediately looked the incident up online and saw that this has happened hundreds of times Ford Motor Company is fully aware but will not cover it unless entire vehicle is still under warranty. This is totally a danger to society! this almost caused an awful accident.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Dec 062016

F-150

While driving I heard a loud pop followed by a strong smell inside the cab of the truck. Earlier in the day I had used the rear defroster and when I tried to use it just before this loud pop, the light on the dash button would not come on. Unbeknownst to be at the time, as it was dark out, 1/3 of my rear window had shattered. The next day in the light I found the window damage. The window clearly exploded outward, as the remaining glass was pushing outward and the broken glass was in the bed of the truck. Ford refuses to repair the issue, as it says it is glass, but it seems clear the defroster has a role in causing the glass to break, evidenced by the no longer functioning button and the burning smell when it happened.

- Auburn, ME, USA

Dec 012016

F-150

I drove to my doctor's office and parked. I heard what sounded like ice falling on my back window (it had been frosty that day). I didn't notice the damage at that time. I then drove to another location and heard it again, and when I exited the truck and circled around the back, I saw the shattered glass panel and small hole on the passenger's back window. I had used the defrost button that day. I have since cleared the panel of glass pieces and secured a temporary panel in place. This glass panel is right behind my 6-year-old son's booster seat, where he always sits.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jun 232016

F-150

2012 F150 ecoboost rear power window shattered spontaneously after turning on defrost. Vehicle was stationary at the time and has 38,000 miles on it. Ford Motor Company has refused any compensation for this known problem documented by multiple other Ford F150 owners. My local dealership documented and photographed the shattered window. I will be out of pocket $1000 to repair this. Time for Ford Motor Co to admit a problem here and issue a recall.

- Dalton Gardens, ID, USA

Mar 082016

F-150

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-150. While driving at a low rate of speed, the rear window and side view mirrors were foggy. The contact applied the rear defroster and the rear glass shattered without warning. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and provided no solution other than suggesting that the vehicle be taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- Stafford, VA, USA

May 122016

F-150

Back passenger side back glass just shattered this am. Temperature was about 60, raining, humid in the cabin, with rear defroster on. After parking the truck, I shut it off, then heard a very loud pop, like a rock hit my glass. I got out and viewed the glass from the outside, and there appeared to be smoke coming from the mid-line, lowest point of the glass. The frame was dry in only this area, and the shatter webs out from this area.

- Farmington, MO, USA

Mar 232016

F-150

I remote started my F-150 supercrew in the morning, it was approximately 22 degrees F outside. I drove to the corner store (0.1 miles away) to grab a bite to eat. I turned my truck off, went in, then started my truck back up to head to the gas station (0.2 miles away) & fueled up. I turned my truck back on and hit the rear defrost button to clear some ice on the rear window. After driving for about 3-4 minutes (roughly 3 miles), while on the freeway, I heard a loud "pop". I noticed that the rear window had shattered. It was the window pane located behind the driver seat. There was no impact to the window and would've been extremely unlikely since I was driving. Must be an electrical issue (a short, a surge, or something). My truck is out of the 3 year warranty window, but has just under 22,000 miles on it. The dealership would not pay a penny to replace my window. I called the Ford customer care line and they stand behind the dealer decision to not pay anything for it. This is clearly an issue with their vehicles. I've searched this site and seen the same problems on 2010 - 2015 models of the F-150. This problem is not being addressed what-so-ever by Ford. What happens after I get this window replaced and use the defroster, only to have my new window shatter as well? I guess I have to pay for that one too. My grandmother and grandfather worked for Ford. My family has been long time Ford customers. This is my third Ford vehicle. That trend has just ended. Considering a trade in to Chevy or Dodge.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Mar 142016

F-150

Started up truck, windows were foggy so turned on front and rear defrost. Rear defrost light came on and went off. Pushed rear defrost button again and light would not come on. Parked the truck got out and heard a loud pop. Rear window driver side completely shattered. There is no impact and believe the rear defrost is defective and shorted out causing the rear window to shatter. Was not covered under Ford extended warranty and dealer wanted $950 to replace.

- Millington, TN, USA

Feb 232016

F-150

Rear window shattered as a result of faulty defrost system. Vehicle was in motion with defrost activated. Window shattered producing a loud pop. Defrost failed to work going forward and spider web in window was apparent once damage was inspected.

- Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Mar 042016

F-150

Driving on 03/04/2016, 7:45 a.M., 26 degrees F. heard loud bang. Rear driver's side window of powerslide unit had shattered and spiderwebbed over whole surface. No signs of any impact.

- Wauseon, OH, USA

Feb 232016

F-150

I was driving on the highway on my way to work and all the sudden a noise that sounded loud like a gun shot went off and my driver side rear window had just shattered.

- Draper, UT, USA

Feb 082016

F-150

Drivers side rear window shattered while using defrost. Occurred while vehicle was not moving and parked. A visual inspection was made to insure that no foreign object was the cause. Shards of glass was noted covering the back seat and floorboard. This could be a major safety issue if a child or other person was in the back seat at the time of the incident.

- Victoria, TX, USA

Dec 222015

F-150

Driving down the highway I sprayed my windshield cleaner and turned them off but the wiper stayed wiping on low. It was freezing at the time and almost caused an accident.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Feb 012016

F-150

I remote started my 2012 F150 lariat at work. 5-10 minutes later I went to get in and closed the door and boom the drivers side rear window spider web cracked into a million pieces. I know for a fact lots of people are having issues with this and it needs fixed by Ford. Here is the forum I found with lots of other cases. www.glassbytes.com/2014/08/NHTSA-receives-more-complaints-of-shattering-F-150-back-lites/.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Jan 182016

F-150

Was dring to work on smooth asphalt road with no other traffic visible. Turned on electric rear window defrost. Heard loud noice like gunshot. Felt rush of air. Driver side rear window had shattered.

- Coldwater, MS, USA