4.2

2012 Ford F-150 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-150:

2012 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 112015

F-150

I was traveling on interstate 95 in Idaho; I began to feel a vibration in the front of the truck; it was worst when slowing down. I pulled over started looking for possible issues, upon troubleshooting I noticed 5 of the 6 wheel lugs were finger loose, which I found strange and puzzling, anyway I had to tighten them and got the oem lug wrench from the truck; the lug wrench didn't fit the lug nuts; it was too small. Ford didn't include the right size lug wrench when manufacturing the truck. Second issue: The lug nuts have a faux chrome cover that can't be removed without breaking it; these faux covers get worn over time with proper maintenance of rotating tires, thus not permitting the 150lbs of torque that is required by the Ford owners manual. Upon going to a mechanic they didn't believe me that so much torque was required until I showed them; they then attempted to tighten or ensure all lug nuts had this amount of torque, well a number of these faux lug nuts wouldn't permit 150lbs of torque because they would slip around the lug underneath; these faux covers had to be broken off to tighten to the proper torque. Of note: The oem lug wrench does fit the lug nuts once these faux covers are broken off. These are serious safety concerns.

- Naples, ID, USA

Aug 312015

F-150

Internet research yields common problem with 2009 and later model year Ford F150 tire pressure monitoring system. Tire pressure monitoring system fault occurs, cannot be reset, is expensive to repair, and frequently fails again. Consumers are operating vehicles, ignoring the sensor fault display. Ford should extend warranty to 10 years, 100,000 miles until engineering deficiencies are resolved.

- Sussex, WI, USA

Jan 032011

F-150 6-cyl

The lower control arms on my 2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost have excessive rust/corrosion. Separating arms have recently been linked to steering problems up to and including a crash.

- Lawndale, NC, USA

Dec 292013

F-150

I have a 2012 Ford F150 XLT crewcab. Was driving and as I approached my turn, I slowed down and heard a loud noise that sounded like you were driving on the highway rumblestrip. I pulled off and my truck felt like it dropped down in the back so I thought I had a flat tire. When I inspected it, the tire was gone on the rear of the truck and all I saw was the brakes and lug nuts that looked sheared off. The tire was laying over a little ways on a grassy hill. There was no shimming to the truck prior to the tire flying off. The truck was driving smoothly like always. Didn't know if anyone else has had this problem. The last time the tires have had anything done to them were 2 months ago. It seems to me that it might be a lug nut issue that Ford may need to investigate. Luckily I was not going at a high rate of speed at the time of the incident. What happened sounds exactly like the recall they had on the 2011 Fusion.

- Leavenworth, KS, USA

Jun 202013

F-150 6-cyl

Right rear rim cracked. Aluminum wheels with chrome covers 2012 lariat package. The dealer and Ford determined that this rim was damaged by impact but the rim has never been impacted to my knowledge. I suspect that it was dropped at the factory when they were mounting the tires. I don't believe that I damaged the wheel because there was no damage to the tire and the rim is behind the sidewall of the tire. Also the surface area was about 3" long where the impact happened. The crack was from the outer bead area about 1 1/2" long going to the inner portion of the wheel. I also have a friend who has the same identical wheels on his 2012 Ford F-150 truck (twin to mine) he has since replaced his wheels as he claimed after much balancing and rotating these wheels were in his word "wobbly and vibrating". he and I have since both replaced our trucks wheels and couldn't be happier, our trucks are smooth and handle correctly now. I am complaining because I don't want anyone else to be killed by these wheels. I feel they are inferior and unsafe. My tire man said the cracked wheel was close to "catastrophic failure". I would also like Ford to replace my wheels or reimburse me for the value of the wheels. They offered to sell me a replacement wheel for their cost with free mounting and balancing, they said it was $600 for 1 wheel. The Ford dealer is showlow Ford in show low AZ.

- St. Johns, AZ, USA