2016 Ford F-150 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Ford F-150:

2016 Ford F-150 Owner Comments

Aug 072016

My 2016 F-150 has intermittent steering and handling issues. I have had several instances of temporary loss of control on this vehicle. The most severe was when coming out of a gradual turn to the right at 65 mph. When bringing the truck back straight, I felt something slide in the front axle and it felt as if the right wheel was falling off. The steering felt as if it wasn't connected during this episode, and the truck did not respond to my steering inputs. I have had several other similar events happen at all speeds from 20 mph to 65 mph. The steering also pulls to the right after turns and intermittently loses power assist. Sometimes the steering wheel can barely be turned with enormous effort, other times it feels slack and loose. The vehicle has been in the shop for this unsafe steering as well as a grinding noise coming from the right front 4WD hub. Three unsucessful repair attempts were made for the right 4WD hub, but no mention of the steering safety check I requested several times was ever made. Furthermore, the dealer and manufacturer has been non responsive to my request to get a Ford rep involved to correctly fix my truck. I am uncertain whether the steering/ handling problem is caused by the defective 4WD hub or by the steering rack or column. Because I have experienced an increase in these steering events, and I deem the vehicle unsafe to drive, I have parked the truck since August 22nd.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Sep 072016

At low speeds (15-30 miles per hour) the steering wheel grabs and locks up and you have to force it to turn by pushing the wheel harder. Jim click Ford determined the steering gear box needed to be replaced as they could not guarantee the steering would completely lock up.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

May 122016

My 2016 F-150 plarinum with adaptive cruise control, runs up behind vehicles on occasions then brakes hard. If the other vehicle is a semi, as you attempt to pass him with adaptive cruise on, the car brakes hard and slows down on occasions. In addition to this problem, on 5 different occasions when coming to a bend in the road, the steering gets very stiff as if the power steering is inoperative. The is very briefly before the steering returns to a very sensitive steering, also very brief. The vehicle at this point is in a under steer condition which it corrects itself. This has occurred at least 6 times. My selling Ford dealer has twice checked the programing with 0 results. No codes- no problems when they test drive it. The vehicle has 3550 miles and I'm getting scared to drive it. This first problem is identical to the 2015 Ford F-150 problem. According to my selling dealer, my vehicle which I purchased 2/19/16 was built towards the end of last year, but my dealer states this has no bearing on my alleged cruise problems. My selling dealer is two rivers Ford in mount juliet, Tennessee. An additional vehicle at their dealership has been reported by one of their salesmen to have the same problem to management, and the problem exists today is my understanding. The speed at which these problems arise is varied and on at least one occasion I was almost rear ended by a semi who was coming up behind me when the brakes applied themselves.

- Mount Juliet, TN, USA