8.7

$1,011.00

2. cylinder head repair kit made by dorman (3 reports)
  3. dealer replaced each head (3 reports)
  4. drill and insert sleeve (2 reports)
  5. replace left head first at $3200 and heli #2 plug (2 reports)
  6. cylinder repair kit by Carquest (1 reports)
2000 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford F-250:

2000 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

May 032017

F-250 Crew Cab 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

blown spark plug out of head

Well this time the spark plug nicked the fuel rail on the way out witch caused the fire. Fully in flames after 2 minutes. totally gone after about 8 minutes when the fire truck arrived. we were traveling only 10-15 MPH. If we were going any faster, I don't think we would of got stopped and out in time, It's terrible to sit and watch as your livelihood goes up in flames because FORD doesn't want to take responsibility for something they made wrong. This could have cost us our lives. Just not right. Bad enough to lose our truck and possessions we worked so hard for. We special ordered this truck brand new, and kept it up well, this really, really sucks!!!

Jun 152001

F-250 Crew Cab 5.4L V8

I special ordered this truck step by step. Very disgusted that a new truck with 15,000 miles needed engine work, not to mention they made me pay $1000.00 when still under warranty. I had no choice, I had to have the truck for work. this fixed it so I thought...

Apr 012007

F-250 Crew Cab 5.4L V8

This had already happened in 2001. fixed by the dealer with a new head. this time they wanted $6000.00 to do the same head. they told me to get "THE KIT" and fix it myself, that they couldn't do it with the kit (not allowed). So I did it. worked for a while until it kept blowing out. drove me crazy. I would be miles from home, sometimes at night, in the rain, or freezing cold and bang, out blows the plug. Thank god I started carrying the tools around with me. then in 2017....

Jan 282017

F-250 6.8L V10

I was pulling a trailer preparing to pick up a load of hay and the spark plug blew. I wasn't sure at first what happened but after consulting with another Ford owner I was told this is a common issue with this vehicle and I inspected the plugs and found that it had blown. I haven't gotten it fixed yet to know what it costs to repair, but it sure made it difficult to get hay, not to mention whatever I am going to have to pay to get it fixed. . I had to borrow a friend's truck to get my hay.

- , Kaysville, UT, US

Oct 142015

F-250 XL 5.4L

I was driving the vehicle as normal when a loud popping noise came from under the hood. I tracked it down and found a spark plug had blown out of the head. I took it to a shop and had the head sleeved so a new plug could be inserted.

- , Bloomington, IN, USA

Aug 292014

F-250 XLT 5.4L

I am the original owner of my truck. I have always had the Ford dealership perform the tune-ups because I am aware of the ongoing problems with the Ford 5.4 engine and spark plugs. I had my daughter in the truck with me at the time of the spark plug coming out and catching on fire.

This is completely UN-acceptable, Ford Motor Company obviously knows about the problem but nothing has been done to correct the problem. I am extremely upset about the dangerous situation this put me and my family in. There is nothing Ford could ever do to help "make things right" if something were to happen to my family. I sure hope that Ford can be responsible enough to correct this problem before someone gets hurt.

- , Valrico, FL, USA

Jun 012014

F-250 Super Cab 5.4L

I felt I should enter several complaints here. Number 8 blew the spark plug out, lucky I was in a neighborhood so stopping suddenly was not an issue. Number 7 blew the spark plug out, I was travelling on a highway and was near a wide roadside to bring car to stop. Number 5 was not a mystery but I believed that check because the truck was running rough. I removed the spark plug and could not install the new plug because there were not enough threads left. I checked Number 6 and was only able to install new pug halfway in. I have had 3 plug threads drilled and inserts installed. Number 6 is coming soon.

- , Nashville, TN, US

Jul 192013

F-250 5.4L

THE PLUG ALL WAY IN, DRIVER'S SIDE BLEW-OUT, THE COIL LANDED ON WIRE HARNESS AND FRIED COMPUTER AND MANY OTHER COMPONENTS!!! PISSES ME OFF JUST WRITING THIS!!

Update from Jan 18, 2014: FIRST PLUG BLEW IN JULY 2013,WELL ANOTHER ONE BLEW OUT YESTERDAY 1/17/2014,DID THESE FORD ENGINEERS GO TO COLLAGE,MAYBE THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE ! I GUESS WE HAVE TO KEEP,REPAIR KIT AND SOCKET IN GLOVE BOX,AND HOPE THE WHOLE PLUG COMES OUT!! FORD SHOULD DIFFIDENTLY TAKE RESPONSIBILITY,THEY MESSED UP,

- , New Milford, CT, US

Sep 102012

F-250 XLT 5.4L V8

I have a 2000 Ford F250 Super Duty with a Triton 5.4L that has blown 3 spark plugs now , first one was cylinder number 7 then cylinder 6 two days later then 3weeks later it blew cylinder number 4 this is a bunch of crap . I bought this truck new called Ford they didn't know anything about this problem what a bunch of LIARS . All my vehicles are Fords but after this their will not be anymore and Ford can stick it where the sun don't shine.

- , east alton, IL, USA

Mar 012012

F-250 5.4L

Our fleet is made up of several Ford vehicles with the 5.4L engine. Over-all they are a reliable long lasting engine. It is just disappointing that Ford has not addressed this problem as an engineering defect and corrected it.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jan 142012

F-250 XLT 5.4L V8

Blew a plug in my 2000 F250 today. (135,000 miles) First time this has happened. While researching repair info I found this website. It sounds like it is a big problem for a lot of Ford owners. It also sounds like Ford does not want to admit there is a problem. I'm going to try the insert fix to see if it works. Makes you NOT proud to own a Ford.

Update from Feb 4, 2012: Found a cylinder head repair kit made by Dorman.Kit has an adapter that screws in and comes with a longer spark plug and a shorter boot.Amazon had best price (37.50 and free shipping). Kit and new coil have been installed for a couple of weeks with no problems yet. Will wait and see.

- , Olive Branch, MS, US

Jan 202012

F-250 XL Superduty 5.4L V8

So this is the THIRD time this same plug blew out!! I think I've had it with this truck. I really don't won't to get rid of it, but I can't afford to have this keep happening. I CAN'T BELIEVE THERE IS NOT A RECALL ON THIS ENGINE!! I WON'T BUY ANOTHER FORD BECAUSE OF THIS!!

- , Talbott, TN, USA

Dec 222011

F-250 XL Superduty 5.4L V8

This is the second time the same spark plug blew out. I missed three weeks of work because I couldn't use my truck. And this motor is only about five years old too.

- , Talbott, TN, USA

Aug 132010

F-250 Super Duty 5.4L

Blown out spark plugs is a Ford problem and they should be held responsible

- , Wheelersburg, OH, US

Jul 152010

F-250 Lariat V10

This is my first complaint with one immediatly to follow. I have done a lot of reseach when this incident first happened. I was amazed to find out I am not the only one. There are tons of complaints of this same incident happening to those of loyal customers through out the United States.

I have owned a total of 6 trucks in my lifetime. This was the first ford I had bought but I loved in, until this happened. I was driving down the road and heard a bing, and then baammmm... My truck instantly starting chugging making a horrid noise. I quickly pulled over and shut it off. After looking under the hood I was amazed to find the spark plug laying on the block. I thought to myself , wow... that is the first I had ever seen anything like it.

Come to find out Ford has known about this problem for years now.. Why is nothing being done about this?

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Sep 142010

F-250 Lariat V10

Incident number 2. After just going through this issue with the number 2 plug, it happened again. I was driving and as soon as it happened I knew exactly what had happened since I just went through this a few months prior. This is obviously an engineering problem with this, so why is nothing being done? Here's an idea ford, issue a recall due to an engineering fault because I will never buy a FORD again.

- , El Paso, TX, USA

Jun 142007

F-250 F250SD 5.4L Triton

WITH THE ECONOMICS TIMES BEING BAD I DID NOT NEED THIS TO HAPPEN. FORD DEALER SAID THAT IT WOULD REPLACE THE HEAD AT $3200 BUT DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE OTHER HEAD SO I THOUGHT THAT THEY ARE REPLACING BOTH. SINCE THEN I BLEW #2 PLUG AND FOUND OUT THAT THEY ONLY REPLACE RIGHT SIDE HEAD. SO I PAYED $650 TO NAVE IT HELI. RIGHT NOW I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE THE TRUCK BEFORE I BLOW ANOTHER PLUG ( THREE LEFT). I'VE OWN FORDS FOR 25 YEARS AND ITS IS SAD THAT FORD WILL DO NOTHING TO HELP OWNERS FOR THESE TRUCKS. FORD KNOWING THAT ACROSS THE NATION THE SAME PROBLEM IS HAPPENING TO THOUSANDS OF TRUCK OWNERS AND ARE NOT WILLING TO STAND BEHIND THERE ENGINE. I THINK IT IS A FORD DESIGN FLAW WHEN BETWEEN 1999-2003 THE HEADS HAVE ONLY 5 THREADS FOR THE SPARK PLUGS AND THE NEW HEADS HAVE 12 THREADS. RIGHT NOW I'M TELLING ALL MY FRIENDS THAT HAVE THIS ENGINE TO START THINKING OF SELLING BEFORE THEY GO THOUGH WHAT I DID.

- , Eagan, MN, USA

May 122005

F-250 Crew V10

This problem actually happened twice. Each time there was a telltale clicking that sounded like lifter tapping slightly - actually exhaust was beginning to escape through the spark plug seat. Then BANG and my truck sounded like a clunker - though it still ran. The second time I noticed the clicking sound and drove it into a dealership immediately - too late. The first head replacement required that I pay my $200 deductible during warranty! The second head replacement cost me $500 after I wrangled with a Ford rep just after it was out of warranty. The job was quoted at $1200! I am surprised not to see more of these F-250 complaints on your site because a LOT of the V-10 owners had this problem. There definitely should have been a recall, but because it didn't affect safety..........

- , Arvada, CO, USA

Jun 142007

F-250 Lariat V10

I had the first one of three fixed at the dealer-$300.00, the second one I fixed myself- took 1 hr and a $30.00 kit from NAPA. I have talked to several mechanics and parts places. The V10's prior to 2002, blow sparkplugs out of the head for some unknown reason. They told me if it happens after I put in the inserts, a new head will be needed and that was about $1200.00. I won't lie to you it is a huge pain in the butt to fix these. I have done 3 and around 1800 rpm it sounds like it is missing. Which means that in the next couple of months another one will blow. This summer I am going to redo the remaining seven. By the way I carry all the tools I need to fix this in my truck.

- , Garland, UT, USA