1.5

2003 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Ford F-250:

2003 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Aug 082016

F-250

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-250. The contact stated that in order to keep the vehicle's engine on, the hazard lights and headlights had to be activated; however, the lights did not illuminate. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Addison, NY, USA

Mar 102015

F-250

The contact owns a 2003 Ford F-250. The contact stated that the vehicle made an abnormal noise and stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to a dealer who replaced the oil pump. The contact also indicated that there were multiple failures with the vehicle. At least twelve fuel injectors were replaced by the dealer at least twelve times; however, the main failure was the turbo bracket being unstable. The dealer diagnosed that the four bolts were rusted with corrosion and the bolts, which were not in place and the J-tube internally fractured. The dealer replaced the four bolts and the J-tube. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Roosevelt, OK, USA

Sep 212015

F-250

The truck had what sounded like valve tap going on when it was started. I thought nothing of this since truck is a 2003 but this was a change from earlier trip. I proceeded to drive the truck since no warning lights were on and power seemed fine. Going 35-40 mph about 1 mile from home I heard what sounded like a shotgun going off and the truck began to run badly and I limped it home with windows down because of gas smell. The next day I opened the hood to see what was going on and I found cylinder #2 had blown apart the coil pack and had also ejected the spark plug from the cylinder head. Following that I took removed all other coils and plugs to find that 5 of the 8 were loose and working their way out of the threads. I believe that the only thing that prevented an engine fire was the fact that the spark plug had shorted itself out. This is a serious problem. I have since found that the problem seems to be on many years and models and is due to faulty cylinder heads that were made of aluminum that was to soft. The spark plugs had been replaced once and I checked them after I bought the truck used, I tightened to correct specs with a torque wrench.

- Perkiomenville, PA, USA

May 062015

F-250

3rd spark plug on passenger side blew out without warning and also destroyed the coil. My research indicates this problem is well known to Ford, but no recalls that I could find.

- Indianola, IA, USA

Jun 282010

F-250

#5 sparkplug shot out of the head when starting vehicle.

- Il, IL, USA