2005 Ford F-250 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford F-250:

2005 Ford F-250 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 012016

On my 2005 Ford diesel F250, after 126000 miles, steering became very loose. Had entire front end replaced including gear box. Rebuilder purchased motocraft rebuilt steering boxes from Ford. Four of these rebuilt boxes were tried on the truck. None were any good. Builder said that this was a common problem with Ford gear boxes. They indicated that the gear box rebuilders only replaced the bearings, not the worn-out gears within the box. The forth gearbox installed was even worse, it was dangerous. When driving on the freeway the truck would veer without warning into another lane and would be very difficult to correct. The truck is back in the shop again. This time to buy an after market (non Ford) gear box. This vehicle's front end problem has so far cost me over $4000. In repairs, but, what is worse these gear box replacements could cause an accident.

- Hayfork, CA, USA

Oct 012012

F-250 8-cyl

Severe steering shake and front shimmy after going over roughness in road. Vehicle had to be slowed to almost rest to stop shimmy. Has happened multiple times.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

May 212010

This is the first of four times that I have had to have brake work done on my truck. Three of the times I was told that the calipers had frozen and so calipers pads and (except this last time) rotors had to be replaced. This is absurd for a truck with less than 45,000 miles. Understand this is expensive!! have never had anything like this on any other vehicle. Also, I have experienced the oft talked about "death wobble" a few times on the highway. Was rear brakes in 2010' fronts in 2011' now rears again in 2013.

- Hamden, CT, USA

Apr 282012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

I started this trip at the Kentucky horse park, I-75 at exit 120. I had been driving an hour, heading North. This incident took place late afternoon, between 5pm and 6pm, broad daylight excellent visibility, dry, partly cloudy, traveling 65 mph in the center of three lanes. I was not tired nor distracted. I was northbound on I-75 in northern ky when I went over a minor bump, just rough pavement. I am absolutely certain there was no object in the road. After the bump the truck began steering erratically, wandering, much as it had 4 days earlier when I took it to my Ford dealer and they replaced the front U-joints. I slowed down, got the truck under control, turned off the cruise control, and moved to the right lane. I heard a high-pitched screeching metal noise. Then I smelled burning rubber. I was alert and very aware of road conditions and the traffic (two lanes were merging from the right from I-275 so I was in the center of five lanes) and I am certain there were no objects in the road. The concrete was clear and smooth. I heard a loud bang under the right front of the truck and it took off to the right. It was immediately clear the truck was not responding to the steering wheel. I put both feet on the brake pedal, made my body rigid and pulled up on the steering wheel for maximum down force on the brake pedal. Completely out of control, I traveled across both lanes on my right (the merging lanes from I-275) and came to a stop with the left rear wheel on the concrete apron and all other wheels in the rocky soil that was the side of a ditch with a mountain on the other side. It was later determined that the tie rod end had snapped. One theory is that the tie rod end was over-hardened and became brittle, possibly cracked, then the new U-joints changed the stresses on it and it snapped. Insurance report, crash site and parts photos available on request.

- Saline, MI, USA

Apr 222010

F-250 8-cyl

I was on the interstate driving 70 mph when I hit a small bump in the road which caused my truck to shake violently and lose control of steering which took me off the road into the center median. This could have easily been a head on collision in different circumstances.

- Two Harbors , MN, USA

Jan 052012

F-250 8-cyl

Driving on interstate and ran off onto rumble strips on side of road and wheel shake became extremely violent.had to bring vehicle down to 30 mph from 75 very quickly and almost was hit from behind doing so.have seen this and had it happen on older trucks that had excessive were in tie rods and worn front end parts but this truck is tight so I thought. First time for this and it was very frighten couldn't believe how violent shake was. Ford does need to address this or offer a fix before someone does get hurt. Wonder how many are out there that people have gotten rid of or never complained about it?

- Stonewall, LA, USA

Sep 062006

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-250. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact drove over a bump and the vehicle began to immediately vibrate violently. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, where both front tie rod ends were replaced. The contact also recently received an advisory notification letter from the manufacturer in regards to steering wheel and front end vibrations when driving over bumpy road surfaces. The manufacturer advised owners to maintain proper tire inflation. The manufacturer was notified and made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 20.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Dec 122011

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Our 2005 Ford F-350 Super Duty, (with less than 50,000 miles) continues to have instances of extreme front end shaking when crossing bridges and going over any size bumps in the road, (big or small). When this happens, the vehicle is 'out of control'!!! this is a severe and dangerous problem that Ford needs to recall. It is clear that this is an ongoing issue with this vehicle. Is it going to take a fatal crash to get the attention from the Ford manufacturer"???? or a class action lawsuit???" the local dealerships deny there is any issue with the vehicle, have paid private mechanic to install stabilizer, etc., but problem is only getting worse. Due to this being a severe safety hazard, I would like to see a formal recall process begin.

- Salem, OR, USA

Jan 012010

F-250 4WD 8-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-250. The contact stated that when while driving over a road bump, the vehicle would jerk violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was then taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the vehicle needed to have a camber alignment performed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 91,000. Updated 02/27/12

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Sep 242011

Cruising along the highway, if I hit a bump in the road doing any speed over 55 mph the truck begins to shake very badly!! so bad that I can hardly control the truck. Only way to make it stop is to slow to 40 mph. Very unsafe to drive on any highway!! there is no bad parts on this truck...

- Oakland, NJ, USA

Sep 092011

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

During highway speeds and you hit a set of bumps or a single bump my truck will violently shake at the front end. It feels like the whole front end of the truck is coming apart! Ford will not admit anything is wrong.. there are countless entries about this all over the web.. is somebody going to do something??

- Carmichael, CA, USA

Jul 232011

My kids and I were driving on I-70 West coming from cambridge Ohio to columbus. We hit a rough spot in the road and the front end started shaking violently from side to side. The whole truck was shaking. I let my foot off the accelerator and changed lanes. This did not stop the shaking. I went off on the berm and continued to slow down. At approx. 35-40 mph it stopped shaking. I checked the tires and all were fine. We proceeded on and roughly 10 miles down the road it did it again. I again took my foot off the gas and headed towards the berm, I did try hitting the brakes this time. Brakes made no difference. The shaking did not stop until we were between 35 and 40 mph. I have owned this truck since it had 5,000 miles on it and have traveled this road many times. The truck has always bounced around when hitting rough road surfaces, however, it stopped once past the rough spot. My truck is only used occasionally and has all of its original components it left the factory with, including the tires. I can not find any loose tie rod ends. Once I got home I turned off the truck and when I went to restart it to pull into the garage the battery was completely dead. This could of been totally coincidence, however, I believe the violent shaking caused a battery plate to short out. In my opinion this is completely unacceptable and is not a safe condition for anyone to be in at highway speeds. If my wife had been driving, she would not have been able to control the vehicle. I appreciate your prompt attention to this matter as it could have very serious and unfortunate consequences for other owners who could experience this problem, at any time, without warning.

- Upper Arlington, OH, USA

Apr 302011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph when the steering wheel suddenly veered to the right. As he corrected the steering wheel it veered to the left sending him across two lanes of traffic and drove into the median. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who advised him that they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 68,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Owosso, MI, USA

Apr 012006

The contact owned a 2005 Ford F-250. While driving approximately 70 mph the front end of the vehicle began to violently shake. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told that the vehicle was out of alignment. The vehicle was repaired. The failure continued to occur intermittently while driving at a speed of 50 mph. The failure mileage was 4,000 and the current mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Titusville, FL, USA

May 112010

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F-250. The contact stated that the front started shaking between 55 and 65 mph. The vehicle was shaking excessively therefore; the speed would not increase. The vehicle was not inspected. The vehicle would also shake excessively while driving over a bump in the road. The dealer stated that they had not heard of the failure and that the warranty expired. The failure mileage was 45000 and the current mileage 50000.

- Delevan, NY, USA

Sep 182010

Everytime I exist the backside of a bridge my 2005 F-250 4X4 begins to shake so bad I am unable to continue driving and have to pull to the shoulder.

- Wilmington, DE, USA

Jun 052009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford F250. While driving approximately 65 mph driving over a small road bump; there was a violent shake and vibration. Unexpectedly, the vehicle loss control for approximately 6-8 seconds. There was a sudden release of the accelerator pedal; however, the driver was able to gain control of the vehicle and resume operation. The failure recurred at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection; however, the technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on four separate occasions for the identical failures which there were no resolutions. The contact had concerns of the safety risk involved. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 200. The current mileage was 47,000.

- Medford, MA, USA

Aug 032009

Steering issue with my Ford superduty F250. Since day 1 the steering while driving in a straight line tends to wander. Feels like you are driving a bumper car in traffic only hoping you do not hit anyone. Ford engineer said it was a problem they suppose to have fixed. It helped for a while aprox. 21/2 years but as the truck gets older it is starting to wander more. Has about 1-1 1/2" of play in the steering wheel. Its like driving a 1968 Ford. Have read several other complaints from other Ford buyers with same issue. Ford sent a notification a while back and stated that when this wandering occurred while driving to just slow down. Well that's all fine and dandy except my wife and I took our 2 horses to flagstaff, AZ. A few weeks ago for a trail ride coming up from phoenix, AZ. We had to drive up through steep mountains and then come back down steep mountains. The speed limit is 75 but we were only doing 60-65 most of the time. My truck is rated to pull 12500 lbs. At one point the truck decided on its on to wander about 2 ft. To the right coming down a mountain at this point I was only doing about 60 fortunately since I was constantly having to work the steering wheel back and forth I was able to ease off the throttle and bring it back in line after awhile. Again feeling like we were playing bumper cars only this time with 2 horses in the trailer which the weight was only about 6000lbs. The horses were not moving around as they were beat from the days play. The whole ordeal really rattled us.this has been an issue for a long time and is only getting worst. I know I am out of warranty but since Ford supposedly fix it before I think it is a real safety issue. It all points to a bad steering box or bad front suspension. We would have been killed had I not got this truck under control and the horses were not safe then. Any help would be appreciated as Ford has not been much help to anyone. Their little notification to all owners of this problem should be a repair.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 282006

I have a 2005 Ford F-250 and when going 55mph or up if you hit a bump in the road you are shaking out of control until you stop the truck Ford said there was nothing wrong with it and that was at about 11,000 miles. Now at 30,000 miles it does it every day all day.

- Lowell, OH, USA

Jun 132009

I experienced a severe and violent shaking of the front end of my 2005 Ford F-250 truck while traveling 60 mph over a slight rough patch on a highway. I lost control of my vehicle and was forced to swerve off the highway. I was almost hit by the vehicle directly behind me. This is the third time I have lost control of the truck because of this violent shaking in the last month. I have had the truck to a local inspection station and they replaced the steering stabilizer and did an alignment. This did not help. I have called the Ford dealer I purchased the truck from and they said they never heard of anyone having this problem with any Ford truck. Obviously, they are aware of the problem. I only hope there is a recall before too many people die.

- West Pittston, PA, USA