2.9

2011 Ford F-250 wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Ford F-250:

2011 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Dec 172016

F-250

When hitting uneven payment at highway speeds the front tires and steering starts to shake. As speed decreases, the wobble increases to the point where the violent shaking will not stop until almost a complete stop. I followed the NHTSA recommendation of 65 psi and other pressures and it has no affect on the wobble. Imo I believe that as the tires wear down, they have less traction on the road surface which allows for the oscillation of the tires to occur. Putting on new tires is a bandaid for a defective design. I have heard that changing the position of the axle (I believe camber) can correct the problem. This can only be done with shims. In my case, I noticed that the shaking became worse as I slowed down. The natural reaction is to brake when the wobble begins. I decided that the next time it occurred, I would speed up. It works. The wobble corrects itself in a few seconds and is never near as severe as when I slow down. This is a dangerous condition and should be looked into deeper than has been in the past. This has happened several times over the past few years. Ford, you know about this problem.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012015

F-250

We have a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty diesel pick up with less than 20,000 miles. It is like new, but has developed a serious mechanical defect. Ford Motor Company has tried up to (11) eleven fixes for this life threatening problem with no success. None of these "fixes" apply on this pick up. Now since the pick up is older than 3 yrs. Even with such low mileage they want us to pay for "trying" out more possible fixes that have currently been unsuccessful for all these Ford F250 & F350 pick ups. This should be at the Ford Motor Company's expense. The bottom line, it should be bought back by Ford since it is not yet proven to be fixable. Problem: The "death wobble" as described on the internet. This occurs anytime these Ford Super Duty F250 or F350 diesel pickups are driven over 40mph and a bump, rough road, or pothole in the road is hit. The operator looses control of the vehicle. The first time this happened, the pickup was pulled into the on-coming traffic. It took all my son's strength to gain some control and keep from hitting an oncoming semi-truck. This vehicle is worse than the internet video as confirmed by the bend Oregon Ford dealership. Applying the brakes makes it worse. It has to be allowed to slow down on its own. The vibration is so violent it takes all ones strength to keep it on the road. It's one of the more frightening experiences you¿ll encounter behind the wheel. The vehicle is shaking so badly you think it¿ll fall apart and that you¿re going to die. That's why it's called death wobble.

- Christmas Valley, OR, USA

Jul 012015

F-250

Re: the death wobble we have a 2011 Ford F250 Super Duty diesel pick up with less than 20,000 miles. It is like new, but has developed a serious mechanical defect. Ford Motor Company has tried up to (11) eleven fixes for this life threatening problem with no success. None of these "fixes" apply on this pick up. Now since the pick up is older than 3 yrs. Even with such low mileage they want us to pay for "trying" out more possible fixes that have currently been unsuccessful for all these Ford 250 & 350 pick ups. This should be at the Ford Motor Company's expense. The bottom line, it should be bought back by Ford since it is not yet proven to be fixable. Problem: The "death wobble" as described on the internet. (see website below). This occurs anytime these Ford Super Duty 250 or 350 pickups reach 20K miles. This occurs when driving over 40 miles per hour if at anytime a bump, rough road, or pothole in the road is hit. The operator looses control of the vehicle. This vehicle is worse than the internet video as confirmed by the bend Oregon Ford dealership. Applying the brakes makes it worse. It has to be allowed to slow down on its own. The vibration is so violent it takes all ones strength to keep it on the road. It's one of the more frightening experiences you¿ll encounter behind the wheel. The vehicle is shaking so badly you think it¿ll fall apart and that you¿re going to die. That's why it's called death wobble. Https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=8euq6F8rgt4 https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=B_lmknw9nhq

- Christmas Valley, OR, USA

Nov 282014

F-250

The contact owns a 2011 Ford F-250. While driving at approximately 50 mph, the vehicle vibrated violently without warning. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the tire shocks, vibration dampener, drag link, tie rod, and all the tires were replaced; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fairbanks, IN, USA

Feb 102014

F-250 8-cyl

Truck developed a violent shake in the front end and became uncontrollable. Have to stop immediately before vehicle will stop shaking. The issue is referred to the "Ford death wobble" with many recorded instances of this on the web and youtube. Issue has gotten worse and is unsafe to drive. Has been in the Ford dealer and many new parts replaced but problem persist. Ford dealer cannot seem to correct so it has been in two other garages for second opinions. Contacted Ford Motor Company and they have no recalls or any knowledge of this problem. Vehicle is a danger to the highway.

- Norton, VA, USA

Jul 232013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

While driving at 70 mph on the interstate, after hitting a small bump in the road, the front end of my 2011 F250 FX4 diesel began violently. I had to pull onto the median and slow to less than 20 mph to make it stop. This has been an ongoing problem, and, although I have brought the vehicle in for service, changing the shocks and steering stabilizer, I still have the same issues.

- Bourg, LA, USA

Jul 042013

F-250

I have had repeated issues with the steering of my truck. I have taken it in to the Ford dealership for the last 2 years and have been unable to get this resolved. The issue is known as the "death wobble". I was unaware of how common this issue was until I started reading forms where many people have had the same complaint. I have nearly lost control of my truck way too many times.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Feb 062012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

During a drive on the hwy, the vehicle went over an uneven section of the road causing the vehicle to wobble and shake violently. I pulled over to inspect the front end of the vehicle thinking I had hit something or had a flat tired. Nothing out of the ordinary was found. The same event occurred a month or so later when driving back from the airport and hit a pot hole at about 50 miles an hour. The vehicle once again felt out of control shifting from left to right on the hwy and felt uncontrollable. Got home, checked all associated suspension hardware and nothing out of the ordinary was detected. At this point, I am a bit hesitant to go at speed limit and constantly watching, avoiding main highways. It seems like the vehicle has suspension issues and it was not designed accordingly to its heavy duty ratings. The vehicle is a road hazard and a danger to the driver and other drivers..

- Tracy, CA, USA

Mar 162013

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

I was driving approximately 45 mph when I hit a rough area in the asphalt during a slight left turn. After hitting the rough area, the truck and steering wheel began shaking violently. I had to almost stop before the shaking would stop. I pulled off the road thinking that maybe a tire was fixing to fall off but everything was fine. Now every time I hit a rough area on the road I worry that it will happen again.

- Grantville, GA, USA

May 012012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Driving approximately 45 mph on a state highway, making a slight left turn, hit a small bump in the road, and the steering wheel started jerking violently from left to right from the 9:00 to 3:00 positions. I could not stop it with both hands. I had to brake the vehicle to almost a complete stop to end the jerking. This has been happening on almost a daily basis. The vehicle currently has 22,193 miles on it. It has been to the dealership at least 4 times and they have been called numerous times with the problem. They have checked the tire pressure several times. The front end. Changed the steering damper, which slightly helped for about 500 miles. It is now happening every time I drive the vehicle and is getting worse. Now also happening at lower speeds, around 30 mph and up.

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Feb 082012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

2011 Ford 250 diesel has been in for front end service(front end alignments) and excessive scalloping of tires four times. Two dealerships have expressed concern over the severity of the tires. The truck continues to pull to the right and the front end has started to shake/wobble after hitting a bump.

- Thompson, CT, USA