4.2

2012 Ford F-250 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Ford F-250:

2012 Ford F-250 Owner Comments

Apr 012013

F-250

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-250. While driving approximately 40 mph and over a bump, the front of the vehicle began to shake violently without warning. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the bushing bar on the front end of the vehicle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact also stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the pull over safely now warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who diagnosed that the egt sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Placerville, CA, USA

Apr 022015

F-250

I have a 2012 Ford F250 king ranch 6.7 diesel. The radiator started leaking so I took it to the dealership only to find out I needed a new radiator. Since my bumper-to-bumper warranty ran out at 36K miles this repair was on my dime. In researching online forums and such, there have been known issues with the diesel radiator as far back as 2008. The entire premise behind a diesel engine is "compression-ignition" in which fuel is ignited due to compressed air at approximately 1000 degrees F. there is no scenario where the either the manufacturer of the radiator and/or Ford Motor Company themselves should not be required to fix this faulty part at their expense. The repair estimate was over $2,000 on a vehicle less than 3 years old. In no way should any new vehicle owner be required to pay for a new radiator much less for the labor to install it and that goes double for the owner of a diesel engine.

- Hiram, GA, USA

Feb 122014

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

Red fluid found on garage floor. I took my truck in and Ford could not find any leak. Within a week later I took it back and showed them where it was leaking. Ford brought the master mechanic over and they determined that it was something loose on the right side up high they did not tell me what it was. Within a couple of weeks I took it back again and they determined the water pump was leaking they had the truck for 3 days. After picking up my truck within 200 feet from the Ford dealer the low power illuminated and the engine symbol lit up. They 1st told me they would have to take the top of the engine off to check it out. A hour passed and I got called and told it was the diesel fuel was gelling up and they would have to put a additive in the fuel and that I should add it again every other tank of fuel.

- Elba, AL, USA

Nov 012012

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

On 28 September 2012 I purchased a new 2012 Ford F250 diesel pickup from a Ford dealer. On/about 1 November 2012 while accelerating (from approximately 10 miles per hour speed) into an interstate traffic lane this vehicle suddenly went into an engine near stall/loss of power condition which lasted approximately three to five seconds and then regained normal engine power. This was a very alarming condition as I was entering into high speed traffic and needed capable acceleration while entering into traffic. The truck had approximately 450 miles on it when this first occurred. I took this truck back to the dealer when the truck had 551 miles on it and they could not find anything wrong. While driving the truck on 27 November 2013, this same engine near-stall event occurred under a similar highway ingress condition when the truck had approximately 5,100 miles on it. I called the Ford customer service hotline and was advised to take the truck to a Ford dealer for a second checkup. I then took the truck to a different Ford dealer on 6 January 2014 when the truck had 5,510 miles on it and they could not find the problem. Neither of the two Ford dealers that I've taken the truck to for diagnosis will provide me with a further course of action to fix this recurring engine malfunction. I want this malfunction fixed or a new pickup to replace it, it creates a personal safety hazard for me and my family and the problem has been in the truck from when it was only a month old and had 450 miles on it.

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Aug 252013

F-250

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 30 mph with the illumination of the check engine warning light and a warning chime. In addition, a caution message displayed that advised the contact to stop safely. The contact noticed black smoke emitting from the exhaust pipe. The vehicle maneuvered to the side of the road. The engine was restarted and was driven at a low speed cautiously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the one of the four engine O2 sensors was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the vehicle. The approximate failure mileage was 33,285.

- Eldred, NY, USA

Jul 292011

F-250 8-cyl Diesel

The truck engine will stall at low speed for one to five seconds, especially dangerous if you are trying to enter traffic. I have reported to northside Ford every time I have it serviced, they finally agreed that I have a problem, however they have failed to fix. I get the impression that Ford is aware of this problem, but for their own reasons do not want to fix it.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jul 252012

F-250

The contact owns a 2012 Ford F-250. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph on an incline the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that after he inspected the vehicle he noticed that the engine oil was overheating. As a result, the vehicle decelerated and ultimately stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 7,000 and the current mileage was 8,200.

- Ventura, CA, USA